RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I ordered the replacement bolts/isolators to fix the mounting of the oil filter.

But I can't figure out how to get the lower part of the old bolts of the mount. It's a square nut.

Do you drill it out?

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after breaking three 1/8" bits trying to drill the pilot hole, I decided the best way to remove the bolts is to use a grinder. This worked well and went quick.

The nuts on the bottom of the mount are welded to the mount, so if you can get the bolts out without mucking up threads, you can reuse them. Since I didn't know this, I simply drilled them out after taking off the top of the bolt. I then put a lock washer and nut on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I took a hack saw and cut a groove in the top of the rounded nut. I then took a chisel to it and tapped it free. I bought spare filter housing nuts and told the oil change guys to be careful next time. I got a free oil change out of it.

You should not have to cut off the bolts welded to the bottom of the bracket, but it seems that this is a permanent fix to the problem. I also have fashioned a set up with nylon washers and a long bolt to keep it from flopping around in the woods.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a hack saw and cut a groove in the top of the rounded nut. I then took a chisel to it and tapped it free. I bought spare filter housing nuts and told the oil change guys to be careful next time. I got a free oil change out of it.

You should not have to cut off the bolts welded to the bottom of the bracket, but it seems that this is a permanent fix to the problem. I also have fashioned a set up with nylon washers and a long bolt to keep it from flopping around in the woods.
Where were you when I posted yesterday? :) Since I didn't know the nuts on the bottom were welded to the mount and I knew they were square, I didn't think that I could effectly make the top of the bolt into a screw head. I'd say this is a much better solution (although I'm just glad it's done).

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
where did you buy the new isolator bolts from? and what are the parts called that you ordered?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You definitely will not have to fuss with this anymore. I potentially have to repeat this every time I get my oil changed by someone new at the shop... It is an interesting design, but not one that inspires confidence in an off-roader. Your bolts will serve you well.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
They're really easy to remove without having to bust out a hack saw or drill... I pulled the rubber off which left the button head tops of the bolts exposed. Heated them up slightly with a torch, then gripped them with pliers and unscrewed them. When you fit the new ones, use some antiseize so you can just unscrew them by the plastic when the time comes.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're really easy to remove without having to bust out a hack saw or drill... I pulled the rubber off which left the button head tops of the bolts exposed. Heated them up slightly with a torch, then gripped them with pliers and unscrewed them. When you fit the new ones, use some antiseize so you can just unscrew them by the plastic when the time comes.
I tried to grip them with pliers and vice grips, but could not get any grab at all.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Get some better pliers? They do come off quite easily once you've heated them up. I used adjustable needle nose pliers that have the pressure locking grip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts