RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I know the engine is the same as 2003 X5 4.4 but does anyone know if the fuel pump is the same? Big difference in price. 750US LR as opposed to 340US BMW. Heard from one reliable source that they are probably not the same but if anyone knows for sure I would appreciate it. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are different, but I may be wrong. I had mine replaced about a year ago. My understanding is that the Range Rover pump is more expensive because it can operate with teh vehicle at extreme angles (off road). teh cheapest I could find one for was about $700, and I had a local mechanic fit it. Make sure you change the Fuel Filter at the same time. I don't know if you can 'repair' the fuel pump, but it's worth looking into....

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Hi There,
Without a doubt, in europe they're different. Don't fix it, it will surely fail again, mostly there are overheating problems, caused by bearing seizure. Thet's why often firstly, they're noisy, then they have a few first starting problems, then they stop completely. We have a lot of cars running on ethanol based fuels here in france and the problems happen earlier than with premium grade petrol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure they are different, but I may be wrong. I had mine replaced about a year ago. My understanding is that the Range Rover pump is more expensive because it can operate with teh vehicle at extreme angles (off road). teh cheapest I could find one for was about $700, and I had a local mechanic fit it. Make sure you change the Fuel Filter at the same time. I don't know if you can 'repair' the fuel pump, but it's worth looking into....
Thanks Nevill. Do you know if they had to remove the fuel tank to replace the pump/ Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi There,
Without a doubt, in europe they're different. Don't fix it, it will surely fail again, mostly there are overheating problems, caused by bearing seizure. Thet's why often firstly, they're noisy, then they have a few first starting problems, then they stop completely. We have a lot of cars running on ethanol based fuels here in france and the problems happen earlier than with premium grade petrol.
Thanks Jeff. Well so much for that money saving idea. I will have to bite the bullet and get the LR fuel pump. Jim

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
8 Posts
They are the same -- search the forum. The assembly is different but the pump itself is the same. Just got mine replaced at the dealer and I gave them the part because they did not believe me...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Beast, I'm going to play it safe and replace the whole assembly. I don't want to take any chances replacing just the pump. Don't want to crawl under there again if the float arm or something fails. Jim

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
I have a 2004 range rover 4.4L I replaced the fuel pump with the BMW X5 pump and put it into my land rover housing. Saved myself 400 bucks.I had to buy the whole fuel pump/fuel level indicator assembly. I just swapped the metal fuel pump into my other housing. Cars been running great for the last 18 months. I recommend replacing the rubber seal that seals the pump housing to the tank, I developed a small evap leak immediately after repairing the fuel pump and had to replace the $10 seal. I did not have to open the driver side fuel tank access. I was able to reach in through the fuel pump hole to disconnect the two fuel lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts