RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, great forum here... glad I found it.

I posted this at another Land Rover forum (before finding this one) with only one informative reply... I was hoping to get more information before making a purchase, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm looking at a 2004 Disco (60k miles) for 10k or a 1989 RR (100k miles) for 3k.

Both very well maintained interior and exterior, "street vehicles".

Which would be the better buy... the 89 RR at 3k or the 04 Disco at 10k?

I would do a coil spring conversion on the Disco (once the air suspension has problems).

I wouldn't be doing any other mods on either vehicle, besides an off-road (A/T) tire.

It would be used for weekend adventures off road.

Obviously the Disco is newer, but that's not necessarily a plus, right? I'm under the impression that the newer LR engines/drivetrains are not as robust and have more electrical issues than say a 89 RR.

I realize this being an RR forum might be a bit biased (perhaps as am I) but I thought your great knowledge on the vehicle could at least give me some pros/cons.

All help/input is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you like to do your own work/have tools to work on your own rides? An old Range Rover Classic will eat your repair budget up quickly if you have to run to your mechanic every time you have a problem. Use the search function on this forum the topic about buying a range rover has come up alot. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I plan to work on things myself... though this will be my first time, no experience.
However, I thought the Discovery would be the more problematic of the two, no?

From my understanding an 89 RRC is more "simple", robust, and easier/cheaper to work on than a Disco 2. Is this the case?

Thanks, Dig.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
Yes, that's the case. The '89 RRC is pretty simple (no ABS) but was a quantum improvement in many ways over the '88 as it changed from the 3.5-liter engine to the 3.9-liter, for a very noticeable improvement in power. It also was the first year with the Borg-Warner transfer box, with its viscous coupling center drive, as opposed to the less elegant (but more robust) LT-230 of the '88 and older, with its lockable open center diff. I am with many RRC owners a lover of the BW box and mine has held up well. The power delivery is superb. That's very low mileage for an '89! Make sure it's real (not hard to fake). Service records should document that mileage.

Of the Discovery Series II years, much is to be recommended about the 2004 as it's the only year that has a center diff-lock. The others all have an open center diff so depend entirely upon traction-control to keep both ends pulling. My son has an '02 and so far (only had it a month or two but lives way up a dirt mountain road and has to deal with snow regularly) he's pretty impressed with its off-road performance. I drove it on a long ski trip and found its road manners noticeably superior to that of my RRC ('92 County, with 2" lift and taller tires). His also has the 3rd-row seats that are a nice feature. Make sure, if you get a Disco II, to get one that has service records and no indication that it's ever overheated. That applies to the RRC, too, but the danger with the RR is mostly just a blown head gasket. The engines used in the Disco II (especially the 4.6-liter) are very prone to slipped liners, which I've so far not heard of happening to a 3.9-liter RRC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi Dig,

Easy for me to answer this:

If you buy the RRC for 3000 ($ , Euros, what ever), you'll save 7000 that you can spend in tools, parts, etc.
With the 7000 you can turn your RR in a "better than new" condition. :thumb:
Another good thing on the RR is that it has a frame (Chassis) so very easy to work on it if necessary, newer Discos have no frame anymore, the far I know.

Good luck, Chris

·
Registered
523 Posts
Every single person I know that has had a Discovery II has had real problems and has ended up hating it. One guy ended up abandoning his in France and had to have it trailered back to the UK.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I actually have an 88 RRC with less than 100k, close to 95k. I happen to like working on my rover and even though it is prone to little issues popping up or should I say out. Eh, I had a freeze plug fall out on my way home from work and within an hour I was back on the road again....

Besides, it will be way better to drive a RRC anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts