RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Thanks for looking at my thread. Looking for suggestions/experience about this problem. '03 RR L322 (US model). When I press the power unlock button on the lower tailgate, I hear the latch decouple on the right, but not the left. To open the trunk, I have to reach in on the left and push the plastic tab down with my finger to decouple/unlock. Anyone dealt with this problem before? Any advice how to test if it is a part or the wiring? I haven't taken it apart yet, but I am thinking the power latch (working) has same connector as broken one on left. If I swap them and it works on the left, then it isn't a wiring issue. Do you think that makes sense? Does anyone know the part# for the power latch and does it matter if it is right or left? Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Makes perfect sense to test that way. It could also be a case of the connector just working free or a chafed/broken wire. Luckily they are held with only two screws accessible from the outside edge of the tail gate. If you run into a snagged wire you can just remove the trim at the top of the tail gate to remove the carpet facing then reach in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yupp sounds like the solenoid died and if you pull it out you'll see it doesn't move when you hit the tailgate release. A 15 minute fix but like anything LR the part is close to $100. Yes the part is side specific
FUG500140 is the right side & 500150 is the left.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
With the tailgate lowered, unscrew the latches from both sides and GENTLY pull them away from their mounts.

You'll see a connector plug on the rear of the latch - which is why you gently wiggled the thing away from the tailgate, otherwise you'd have to remove the trim panel to find the disconnected plug.

Undo the connectors. As the latches are "handed" you'll always know which is which.

Take the left latch and plug it into the right side's connector. Install at least one retaining screw to ensure the latch is grounded. It doesn't matter which way the latch is oriented, it just needs to be "attached" to the panel. Manually close the latch with a screwdriver etc. Now, hit the release button and see if it unlocks. If it does, it's a wiring issue.

Now, just to make sure, take the right side's latch and plug it into the left side connector. Again, close the latch and hit the release button to test whether it unlocks. If it does, the wiring's OK.

Swap the right side latch back over to the right side plug and repeat the test. If that works as advertised, you should have successfully trouble-shooted your problem and now know whether it's a wiring issue or a bad latch.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rob,

having a very difficult time removing the latches from the outside, so i ended up just removing the trim panel and going in from the inside. How do I disconnect the latch from the tailgate? Can i do it from the inside or is it bolted on by the torx screw on the outside that I can't budge?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
They are screwed from the outside as noted above.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was afraid you would say that. It is a bear to get them off. Also, probably not using the right Torx size (T27) so i am not getting enough torque on the screw. Do you happen to know what Torx size those outer screws take? Thanks RRToadHall, you've been a great help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts