Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i put key in the hole there is no sound of unlocking steering column
key turns fully but range rover 2003 won't fire
no codes or errors

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
I would check the battery first thing. Almost the same thing happened to me the second day I had my Range Rover. I had been fiddling around, cleaning and such with the doors open and the radio on for a few hours which drained the battery. Then I tried to start to go for a drive but nothing happened when I turned the key, and even the steering remained locked.

If you have a multimeter check the voltage across the terminals of the battery, it should be at least 12.0v with nothing turned on and the key removed. With the key in position 2, down to 11.0V is about the minimum it should be and might be just enough to start the engine.

If you don't have a multimeter open a door and observe the interior lighting and see if you notice it being dimmer than usual. Same with headlamps.

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
Seems like your steering column is stuck try to unhook the battery leave it for 5 min and hook it back up if it starts then try to turn it off again if it doesn't start again means you have a bad steering column ecu I've seen. One online send you the link

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Hi agree with RoverDoc88 sounds like steering column issue. There are various threads on the Internet to try and fix but normally a new column and ignition swt. Sit down while you ask the price!

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
There is actually a very affordable source on ebay that sells the upper part that goes bad just search for range rover steering column ecu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts