RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone , decided to give the engine bay a clean today, and after I was all finished up I started the Range Rover......

And now it's running rough at idle, and while in drive. It shakes a subtle amount when in park, and proceeds to increase the severity of the shake when the Range Rover is placed into drive. As I take off, the shake becomes even more apparent, and the Range Rover also has a major loss of power when the acceleration pedal is used.

I didn't use a pressure washer, a normal garden hose. I covered my battery in a plastic garbage bag, and all other visible sensors/connections I used tinfoil to cover them completely. The same with any other exposed wire, or anything that water could potentially damage. I had around 8-10 wires/connectors covered.

I used your average auto parts store name brand engine gunk foam degreaser, as well as a round of simple green. I gave the engine bay a light spray before applying the degreasers, and once sprayed I let the product soak for around 8 minutes, then rinsed off. I made sure to use a very light spray, and avoid sensitive areas and focusing on one area too much. I have done the same process with countless vehicles, and have never once had this issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you ! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it helps at all, the interior lights where mildly flickering as well when the vehicle was started. Have I hit the fuse box? I was extremely careful with the hose. I guess not careful enough.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
127 Posts
Could you have gotten water down any of the spark plug wells causing misfires?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a possibility. I took the plastic guard cover off, and got into all the nooks and crannys. I went out this morning and parked the Range in direct sunlight with the hood open. Will let it sit for a few hours, and then go out and try it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so this morning/afternoon I let it dry out for 4+ hours in direct sunlight. I went around making sure no plugs or wires where damaged, water logged or loose. They all checked out fine. I checked out the nooks and cranny's of the engine where water could remain, and they all looked dry as well. I am very , very new when it comes to working on vehicles, so I was unsure where the spark plugs where and how to check them for water. I assume they where the plugs on top of the block, that head into the block directly on either side. They seemed to be ok as well.

I started up the vehicle, and sure enough, it ran very poorly again. Almost as if it wants to die now, sputtering and trying to stay running. I gave it a bit of gas and it sounds as if half the engine is working if this makes sense. Very confused as of what to do next :(

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ok, so this morning/afternoon I let it dry out for 4+ hours in direct sunlight. I went around making sure no plugs or wires where damaged, water logged or loose. They all checked out fine. I checked out the nooks and cranny's of the engine where water could remain, and they all looked dry as well. I am very , very new when it comes to working on vehicles, so I was unsure where the spark plugs where and how to check them for water. I assume they where the plugs on top of the block, that head into the block directly on either side. They seemed to be ok as well.

I started up the vehicle, and sure enough, it ran very poorly again. Almost as if it wants to die now, sputtering and trying to stay running. I gave it a bit of gas and it sounds as if half the engine is working if this makes sense. Very confused as of what to do next :(
you probably flooded out some of your plugs... just google how to change the plugs, it's not difficult. While you're in there you might as well change them out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply ! That's exactly what I did, I took the covers off, and popped the coil out. The plugs where sitting in water and one plug with a mix of oil and water. I cleaned the coils, and then cleaned around where the plugs are. I did not have the right socket needed to take out the plugs, so I used paper towel to soak up the water. I got into the tight areas with a Q-tip so clean up some of the gunk and remaining moisture, and then blasted the rest of the water out with an air compressor, and then the leaf blower for good measure lol.

I am just getting used to moving around the wrenches, so I only was able to take one side off and clean it before the sun set. Tomorrow I will be going and picking up a sparkplug socket, removing both sides, giving them a good clean and then re-installing new spark plugs all around.

I feel like an idiot, but this is definitely the culprit. The seal around the covers is horrible, and let tons of water into the plugs and coil house? Also, one of the bolts you access by popping the little piece of plastic off with a flat head on the cover, that bolt wasn't even tightened up. Could have been another reason.

Tomorrow I will be going in and giving everything a good clean, dry, and new plugs. 8)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thanks for the reply ! That's exactly what I did, I took the covers off, and popped the coil out. The plugs where sitting in water and one plug with a mix of oil and water. I cleaned the coils, and then cleaned around where the plugs are. I did not have the right socket needed to take out the plugs, so I used paper towel to soak up the water. I got into the tight areas with a Q-tip so clean up some of the gunk and remaining moisture, and then blasted the rest of the water out with an air compressor, and then the leaf blower for good measure lol.

I am just getting used to moving around the wrenches, so I only was able to take one side off and clean it before the sun set. Tomorrow I will be going and picking up a sparkplug socket, removing both sides, giving them a good clean and then re-installing new spark plugs all around.

I feel like an idiot, but this is definitely the culprit. The seal around the covers is horrible, and let tons of water into the plugs and coil house? Also, one of the bolts you access by popping the little piece of plastic off with a flat head on the cover, that bolt wasn't even tightened up. Could have been another reason.

Tomorrow I will be going in and giving everything a good clean, dry, and new plugs. 8)
Some of the finer points in doing plugs... after the car is up to temp, wait 1/2 hour so it's still warm, this will help removing the plugs. I do a slight tighten turn, just until it move, then back it out. Since you contaminated them in water once I'd get a can of electrical cleaner and go to town on every single coil. After you've cleaned every coil put a dab of dialectic grease around the bottom of each boot. Or you can put the grease around the top perimeter of the insulator (white part) of each plug. You're looking to grease where the boot meets the plug, but not contaminating where the plug actually fires. That grease will protect against moisture making a firm seal to the plug... It'll also inhibit the spark plug from arcing if there is ever any moisture in the valley again. I use NGK plugs and gap my supercharged at .035 (you'll need a gapping tool, super easy) check what gap works best for your engine. Basically the tool looks like a silver dollar with a stepped edge with the gap values around the perimeter. You insert a low value between the electrodes and spread it until your value is reached. Once all new plugs are gapped, your dialectic grease is applied anti seized the threads of the plugs... Some people don't like doing this as it changes torque values but IMO it's a must. It'll ensure when it's time to do plugs again they're not seized in there which is a nightmare. Just a dab a couple of threads up from the bottom and you're good. Then just hand tighten them down. I do roughly 20lbs, which is one good wrench down by hand.

Good luck, let us know how you do! :) glad the car is running well again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright here's an update !

Took the plugs and coils out, and cleaned inside the valley with q tips and paper towel. Got as much as the moisture and gunk from around the plug holes, and on the plugs themselves. I sprayed the plugs down with a degreaser and cleaned them up so they looked new. I actually do think these plugs are newer as well, they honestly look like they had just been taken out of the box upon a further cleaning. After everything was nice and shiny, the plugs where clean, and the coils where spotless I tossed everything back in.

Fired it up, it ran kind of rough for a few seconds, and figured itself out. Normal idle, no stuttering, the engine was running as strong as it was before I took the hose to it. Took it for a drive and everything was fine. The power was back, no misfiring, and no loud sound coming from the engine. Realized the seals around the valley are complete ****, and have some corrosion and lifting , hence the water pouring in.

Put the covers back on, tightened them up, and am going to take it up to the gas station and do a 20 minute drive to make 100% it's gone. But 99.9% positive it's fixed!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
127 Posts
Glad everything worked out for you! I bet you learned a lot about your rover after that episode. LOL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts