RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I just bought my first RR and it needs an oil change, rather than take it to an expensive dealer Im just going to do it myself...how hard can it be.
First what kind of oil is recommended and how many quarts, filter is on top of engine and looks like ones on a BMW or a VW right? How do I reset the oil change warning?
Thank you all

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe 5W 30 is the recommended weight. In Florida its a bit hotter so went with 0W 40 Mobile 1 which is also an approved oil.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oil change is very easy. OEM filter is recommended. I use 5w30 Mobile 1 Full Syn and live in the Pacific Northwest. I guess oil weight depends on your climate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea was gonna put full synthetic but was also wondering about royal purple.
what about the oil change indication, how would i reset that?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
All good suggestions on oil. And the royal Purple would be nice too.
As far as resetting the service reminder, here's a step-by-step from one of the grey-beards of the forum, located in a previous thread somewhere...

Resetting the Oil Service or Service Interval Message.
Ignition key must be “off”.
• Press and hold the trip odometer button in the instrument cluster (left button), and turn the ignition key to the first position (KLR).
• Keep the button pressed for approximately 5 seconds until one of the following words appear in the display: “OIL SERVICE, or “INSPECTION”, with “reset”.
• Release the reset button and press and hold it again until “reset” begins to flash.
• While the display is flashing, press the left button briefly to reset the service interval.
After the display has shown the new interval, the following will appear: “END SIA”.

·
Registered
473 Posts
around 9 quarts
And we hope you don't follow the 15,000 mile interval that's recommended. I'm doing 7,000 and changing my filter in between that.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I just did ours and I have to say make sure you have a good quantity of cat litter or equivalent. The very marginal drain plug (when compared to the P38) is angled in such a way that when you remove it the oil shoots across the car and almost hits the passenger side tire. Look for a post on here wrt the use of kitty litter to soak up the spilled oil. You will have a true belly laugh which is a rare moment in RR ownership although there is always satisfaction when driving. I bought shell rotella T6 synthetic 5 w 40 and Lucas synthetic stabilizer. I put in half a litre with the oil although more is recommended. Of interest is that the synthetic lucas oil stabilizer is totally clear. I did add oil to the filter housing before putting the lid back on and on startup I had about 3 seconds of strong noise-probably worth minimizing by filling it. You do have to push down quite hard for the filter to sit properly and close the drain back valve in the housing.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
67 Posts
Diff raises a good point about how far the oil shoots out. To try and remedy this I've cut out the side of a milk jug so that it will catch the oil and channel it down to the catch basin until it slows down. 2 hand operation but you won't need as much kitty litter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
nice one DS-76. I will add that to my under the carport pile of oil covered cans, basins and jugs.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
old post, I know, but good god the small non LR dealership filled my Rover to 5 1/2 quarts! Just enough for the dipstick to show oil!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts