RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
earlier this week got in my truck and key wouldnt turn. disconnected the battery and waited about 2 minutes, reconnected and started up fine. A/C would not come on and air suspension went inactive. next morning started fine, A/C and air suspension ok. later that day key wouldnt not turn again. once again took the battery terminal off and waited, started fine. Now side light message appearing and almost every time you turn off the truck you have to disconnect the battery to restart. a stealership telling me its the steering column and the ignition switch. seems like an electrical problem to me but i'm no mechanic. Help Please!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had to have the dealer update the ignition cpu software.They tried to sale me a new ignition i denied and they updated for free although they may try to charge a fee they shouldnt though.I had the same symptoms you posted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had same thing happen with my 05. Dealer replaced starter and column (also had the issue with the tilt motor of column falling sporadically) - never happened again. There *is* a relationship with the starter and the column; tried to find where I read it but it is there. Perhaps someone better able to articulate this, mechanically, than I can jump in?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
How old is your battery? Have it tested - i had similar weird random problems with a couple of bad batteries with bad cells.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The only relationship is the transponder which checks the chip inside the key to make sure its authorized to start the car. If the car turns on but doesn't turn over I would suspect an issue with the car being able to read the chip in the key.

As far a selling you a new ignition there is a coil around where you insert the key. The coil picks up on the code returned from the chip in the key which is then compared with the computer to see if its authorized to start the car. If that goes bad then I don't know if its replaceable without replacing the ignition.

Could be that the computer that does the checking for some reason is crashing (rom/ram corruption?). And by updating the software you are just staring from scratch and clearing out any corruption that may have occured.

As far as getting other error codes each computer in the car is seperate they just have a common bus they communicate over. So each computer will be responsible for its own errors. By disconnecting the battery you cause all kinds of issues. I'll guarantee you have numerous other errors that just are not being reported to you and are only clearable by the dealer or someone that has a tool to clear them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ignition switch is $50 and easy to replace, but I doubt it will fix the problem (didnt for me). You can buy it from BMW, i think almost every 2000-2005 BMW has the same switch.

Fact that you can reset the error and get it started by disconnecting the battery makes me believe that your steering column is fine.
In many column posts on the forum owners report that there is NO way to start a vehicle if column goes bad.

Maybe a new key can help, but they are $300....

Interested in hearing others about this issue

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been having similiar problems over the last couple of days.. the stealer wants $480 plus programming for the key.. can I get it from BMW and get them to program it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rover key needs to be cut and programmed at the factory, with correct code that matches what is stored in vehicles main ECU.
I think you can only get key cut 4 or 5 times with original ECU, after that they run out of ECU codes and you will need new ECU & new key.

"Programming" is 30 second procedure you can do yourself. Every BMW and Rover have the same programming procedure. Ask dealer how much for just the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DID you ever find a solution. I just put in a new battery and now I am having that same problem. The key disengages the steering lock but will not turn any further. This is obviously related to me changing my battery. What can I do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts