RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read posts about converting standard auto-dim rearview mirror to one with a compass by swapping with LR Discovery mirror. Bought a LR Disco Mirror.
Plugs match. Disco's compass works when plugged up to RR socket and key on.

Problem: Mountings to windshield are not the same (see photo). The Disco two-pronged clip unscrews and can be pried out. The RR three-pronged clip is riveted or spot welded in. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Vancer

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello All, Read posts of LR Disco Compass mirror being put on RR P38A windscreen fitting, the result being the mirror fitted low. Decided the way to go was to do some surgery, swapping/transplanting a 03 BMW 325i mounting arm (which matches the P38A's) to the Disco Compass mirror. After opening up the mirror, I disconnected the two plastic plugs from the circuit board.

Removed the 4 screws from the socket mounting and pulled wires/connectors through channel. The metal collar that secures the socket was difficult to get out. I used a screwdriver to pry it down and it sprung loose. Then the ball & socket could be pulled apart, being careful not to separate wires from their mountings/clips. I disconnected the wires to the Homelink circuit as the P38A has its own. Then the wires from the Disco can be threaded through the mounting arm of the P38A. I used a snap ring off of a 96 RR P38A mirror to secure the ball & socket mounting as I did not have the tools/know-how to get the metal collar back on. Paid $5 for 03 Disco mirror, $6.25 for 96 RR P38A mirror, & paid $3.27 for 03 325i mirror. Spent a lot of time thinking and doing though. Mostly conflicted about how do I do it without cutting wires, breaking the windshield, and getting the mounting correct. I still have my original 02 P38A mirror intact.

The Disco mirror is now mounted to my RR correctly and everything is working. The Compass is a real perk. Nice work DavidHallworth and LarryS.
Vancer

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the Disco Compass mirror installed on my P38A.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a better photo

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more consideration...the mounting bracket covers are different. The Disco is squared and larger to accommodate the Compass (? the circuit board shown). The P38A is more oval. I used the P38A cover, it fit better.
Vancer

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts