Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past year my front/passenger low-beam HID headlight worked when it wanted to. I have swapped bulbs, ballasts and igniters but that socket only worked sporadically. I bought new bulbs, ballast & igniter to no avail.

Decided my last ditch effort is to purchase a HID conversion kit from eBay which I did.

I have 2 concerns:
1. My original HID wiring harness has a lot of wires and the new one only has 2 (pictures below). Where do I place the 2 wires (power/ground) and will something not work without the other wires connected?

2. I've read (after I purchased the HID Kit) that it is common for one light to not get enough power to turn on over time. Their solution is to install a Relay Harness tied directly to the battery.

Has anyone here installed a HID Conversion Kit and/or Relay Harness in a '03-05 RR? Would you recommend one over the other, or both? Which slots did you use for the 2 wires on the OEM harness?

Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
The headlight connector is for your signals etc, not just the lowbeam bulb. The heavier gauge wire is the HID. You should do some research before you get into this. PowerfulUK has a wiring diagram on their website.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing so I disconnected the harness and tried to turn my hi beam headlights on and it didn't work. The turning signals worked fine tho. Every kit I've seen, including Relay Harnesses, only use 2 wires. I don't need a $250 ticket for my headlight being out, and I really don't want to (unless I absolutely have to) splice the wires on my harnesses.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions or ideas on what I should do. I tried searching PowerfulUK for the diagram and couldn't find it. Would it tell me which is the power and which is the ground for the HID?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just to be safe, and so you don't have problems in the future, I would use a relay to power your aftermarket ballasts.

So I would cut the 12+ wire in the harness that's for the low beams, and leave the ground alone. Cut it at least a few inches back, that way you have enough slack to reconnect it in the future if you need to. Use the 12+ from the harness to trigger the relay, and run power and ground from the battery to relay, and from relay to new ballasts. And from the ballast straight to the bulbs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the link and suggestions!!!

I will definitely purchase and connect a Relay. I'll keep you updated when it comes in and I install according to your instructions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to be safe, and so you don't have problems in the future, I would use a relay to power your aftermarket ballasts.

So I would cut the 12+ wire in the harness that's for the low beams, and leave the ground alone. Cut it at least a few inches back, that way you have enough slack to reconnect it in the future if you need to. Use the 12+ from the harness to trigger the relay, and run power and ground from the battery to relay, and from relay to new ballasts. And from the ballast straight to the bulbs.

One more question for now... Do you think adding only the Relay Harness to the factory HID set-up is a good idea? Should it provide the power needed to ignite BOTH bulbs?

The reason I'm asking is because there are A LOT of components and wiring to the new conversion kit including the cancelers. A lot of stuff I'd have to jam in limited places to hide or mount.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
My 2004 came with aftermarket HIDs sorta installed. I say sorta because the prior owner just tapped the two wires and plugged in the new bulbs - he did not seal the units. In the end I had to take apart the lights and clean them up as they were full of dirt, bugs and water. I then drilled a hole in the caps, sealed them and used the included grommet and ran the wires in the back. It all sealed up niecely. I did not bother with any relay - I zip tied the after market ballasts to secure them. No problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2004 came with aftermarket HIDs sorta installed. I say sorta because the prior owner just tapped the two wires and plugged in the new bulbs - he did not seal the units. In the end I had to take apart the lights and clean them up as they were full of dirt, bugs and water. I then drilled a hole in the caps, sealed them and used the included grommet and ran the wires in the back. It all sealed up niecely. I did not bother with any relay - I zip tied the after market ballasts to secure them. No problems.
Do you get any error messages when turning on your headlights? I got a pair of cancelers just in case.

I want to splice the HID power wires from the factory harness, add the Relay, and then connect back to the harness. Hopefully, this will give the system enough constant power to fire up the rogue light socket. If this fails then I'll have to install a complete conversion kit (with cancelers).

·
Registered
440 Posts
I get no messages - I have no cancelers.

Looking at mine the install looks pretty simple - prior owner tapped into the two power wires on each side and fed the new ballast with said power (positive and negative). Then ballast to bulb wire was run into the lamp. Here I drilled a hole in the covers and ran the wire through it - fitted the grommet and added some silicon for good measure. Going through the cover was the easiest way to get the system to work as the new bulbs did not take the same plug as the prior one. I did tuck the prior plug away internally rather than let it dangle as the prior owner had it.

Note I may be wrong, but this is what the wiring looked like when I inspected it to clean up the mess. I suppose if I wanted to get fancy and keep it more stock I could have cut the factory bulb plug and soldered it to the after market kit. As the system worked - I did not really mess with what is a working set-up.

Lights behave as if they are stock. Again it is possible the prior owner did some coding or added cancelers that I am unaware.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great info! If adding the Relay Harness does not do the trick I'll add the Conversion Kit. Will definitely drill holes in the caps for the new wiring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just spent hours installing my new conversion kit. Could've had it done in less than 45 minutes if i had read the diagram correctly (my fault). I took it that the "Dip Beam" was for the low beam HID light and the "Main Beam" was for the high beam halogens. WRONG!

For anyone installing aftermarket HID kits the wires to use: #8 brown (ground) and #9 white/green (positive). Also, drill holes in the backside of the light cover to prevent dirt or moisture from getting inside housing.

Organism Plant Diagram

I hope this info helps anyone in the future planning on replacing their HID system!

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Uhm... DIP beam IS you low beam. MAIN beam IS your high beams. MAIN beam is for open road driving and when oncoming traffic is seen you DIP your beams... lower them so as not to blind the oncoming car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I thought. The chart above, that I got from PowerfulUK, is mislabeled. Took me hours to learn that. Another thing, the proper positive wire on my rig for the HID is white/blue and not white/green.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts