RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew has an '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (P38?) with Harmon Kardon sound system. The original radio was replaced by a previous owner (at a shop) with a JVC radio which has since failed. The old JVC did produce sound before it was replaced. He replaced the JVC with a new JVC. This is where I came in to help, the radio powers up and functions but no sound to the speakers. The speakers are plugged in exactly the same as they were to the first JVC. From reading your post it sounds like the amplifier trip is not turning on the amp. There are a few wires in the dash which aren't connected, so my question, any idea of the color code of this wire and where it goes, or a possible alternative issue we are missing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Once someone hacks in an aftermarket unit all bets are off. We have no idea what original equipment is left, how replacements have been wired or what outputs have been used. We also have no iea how the head units have failed. This could be as simple as blown amp fuse or could be a serious as a blown amp. Basic wiring diagrams are included in RAVE (workshop manual) see the FAQ stickie above for download link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to sound like a blind idiot, but I clicked on the FAQ Link above but still do not see this thing called RAVE (Workshop Manual). Where can I find it? A step-by-step would be appreciated for the mentally challenged (me).
Many thanks.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
It's the bottom stickie that has "**START HERE**" in all caps. #1 in the FAQ stickie is RAVE

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
If you have a grey wire with a black stripe floating around and not connected to anything, then that will be your problem. This is the remote 'wake up' wire which powers the amps up.

This needs to be connected to the remote wire on the replacement head unit (sometimes called 'antenna') - and on JVC, I believe it's a blue wire with a white stripe.

If that is connected, then you will need to look and see what wires are left and reference them through to the JVC wiring instructions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This needs to be connected to the remote wire on the replacement head unit (sometimes called 'antenna') - and on JVC, I believe it's a blue wire with a white stripe.
Don't confuse the power power antenna (blue) wire with the remote turn on 12V +(blue/white) wire or the amps will only be powered when the jvc music source is set to radio !!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Don't confuse the power power antenna (blue) wire with the remote turn on 12V +(blue/white) wire or the amps will only be powered when the jvc music source is set to radio !!
Good to know....

I am sure mine only had one wire on it and was labelled 'Antenna' or something like that... but it was a blue/white strip wire... *goes off to read the wiring diagram for his JVC unit again*

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Just for clarification - I had a look in my JVC install manual and it has all the connectors coming into an ISO block. the remote wire in the manual is called "remote/power aerial" and is blue/white.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts