1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My '02 P38 wouldn't start for my daughter. So, here's what I found and tried:

• Turn the key, everything seams perfectly normal until you go to the start position and it doesn't turn over
  • Battery is 1-2 years old and hasn't shown any degradation.
  • Starter is the same one that was there when I bought the car 150k ago (196k total), but still WAS cranking like a champ.
  • turn the key, all buzzers and lamp-checks are normal. No problems shown on the digital display.
  • No sound from the starter, neither a whir of the motor or click of the starter solenoid.
  • When key is turn to start position, relay under passenger seat does click, interior light dim for a fraction of a second.
Things I've already tried:

• battery tests at almost 13v
  • disconnected leads and fully charged battery with a smart charger..it didn't take long to be fully charged
  • cleaned and reconnected battery cables.
  • key on, foot on the brake, moved selector thru the gears, checking that digital display showed selected gear and returned to "P". (Once I left the car in drive, went to start it and it wouldn't turn over until I put it into Park)
  • swapped relays with ones that I "think" are good.
  • checked fuses under the hood and under passenger seat
What next? There's snow on the ground and I don't have a garage so I'm avoiding getting under until I have to.
  • what are the key relays?
  • What are the key fuses?
  • how easy is it to access and check the starter?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuck

·
Registered
959 Posts
Pretty easy to get to the starter....from underneath. Check and see if you have volts to the solenoid when you hit the key. I replaced my starter at more like 140k so that life is pretty good. I thought mine was working fine beforehand too. But after replacement, I realized I hadn't heard it spin the engine so fast in a long time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx NorCal. I'll try that next. One thing I didn't mention is that the car in in my ex-wife's driveway, parked on an icy patch and I have to bring all tools with me. Lol....

·
Registered
340 Posts
good luck Chuck - you'll be pretty vulnerable lying on your wife's driveway

·
Registered
959 Posts
in in my ex-wife's driveway, parked on an icy patch and I have to bring all tools with me. Lol....
Wow, that's almost a worst case scenario, I may have chuckled at your expense. Its probably possible to also do this by removing the driver side front tire and pulling out the plastic fender liner. More work though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. There is a 40 amp small fuse in the under hood fuse box that is labeled as being for the EAS. It should be easy to find as it is the only small 40 amp fuse. If that fuse is blown you will get the symptoms you have as well. Might be worth a check before laying on ice in the ex-wife's driveway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx all for all the great advice. I'll make sure my ex-wife isn't home when I'm under the car...I've seen too many horror films where the car "accidentally" falls off the jack-stands. Considering I've gotta hall all that stuff over there, and the starter has at least 150k, I'll just put in a new stater regardless. If you don't hear from me, alert the authorities... Lol.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Have you checked the brake switch, I believe you have that fitted ( we don’t ) , is the current going past the switch,, easy to bridge to check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx chris. I have had the brake light switch fail (my daughter was driving the car that time too, 5am the morning after her prom). I carry a jump wire to bypass if it happens again. That fail the motor will start, you just can't shift out of park. (**** Yankee laws!)

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Before getting under the car, there's a few more things you can check:
  • try starting in 'N' instead of 'P'
  • the 40A fuse to check is F40.
  • brigde the starter relay (relay 16, pins 3 and 5, IGNITION OFF) to verify the starter motor turns if supplied power. If it doesn't turn but you do hear a click from the solenoid, double check the big red cable from the battery to the starter. If that checks out, sometimes a persuasive whack on the starter (you'll need a length of pipe to reach it) can work it lose and get it started. But that's only a temporary fix off course, and it will need replacing or refurbishing.
  • if the starter motor turns, measure voltage across pins 1 and 2 of relay 16 while someone turns the key to start position. If you don't get 12V, that's your problem. You'll be able to start the car by bridging the starter relay with ignition on, so you can move the car to somewhere safe/ more convenient.
Filip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx Filip. I'll give those tests a try first, so I don't have to haul my tools and work in a hostile environment. Because it went from 100 to zero instantly, I've been suspecting an electrical problem. I already purchased a starter, so if I can get it started, I can install it at home.

·
Registered
332 Posts
good luck Chuck - you'll be pretty vulnerable lying on your wife's driveway
My 2002 had similar issues. It was the starter. I bought a $125 one from Orielys and it lasted 5 months. I then paid $250 for a Bosch and got my money back for the other one. Buy once Cry once. It has started with gusto every since.
Good luck. Hopefully your ex hates the Rover more than you these days.
Sometimes it is a tossup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts