RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Tried Atlantic British, Rovers North, & local dealership. Could not find the gaskets/seals for newly acquired
OEM roof rack from a breaker yard (please see photo--these were under middle brackets, both sides; others
crumbled as they were taken off). Any leads besides make them myself?
Thanks

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
They were only available with the roof rack kit. They have never been available separately. An old inner tube makes for similar material and provides a great seal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, RRToadhall. Guess I'll be getting out the exacto knife and buying an inner tube.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used Dynamat. I cut mine out and then used forever black to stain them black
it worked quite well. I used 2mm mat from a car stereo custom shop

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello All,
Photo with dimensions below. Gasket seal has been squished and stretched due to being used.

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Folks, these are not gaskets. These are there to be crushed to make up for minor casting differences in the rack feet, alignment issues in rack assembling and above all else, keep the rack from squeaking when it flexes and and to guard against paint damage. It is not a highly engineered miracle of science. It is a patterned, stamp cut hunk of rubber.

An inner tube rubber conforms and fills imperfections... it is the same basic rubber material as the original rubber pads in the kit. Any way, the rack tracks in the roof are not, nor are they designed to be water tight. The trims are there to hide the body panel joints and cover the raceways for roof mounted accessories.

Now the rails have actual gaskets. At both ends of the extruded aluminum side rails are a gasket where the rails fit to the cast mounts. Think Oring to keep moisture out of the hollow rails.

Vancer, if you are going to refinish the rack prior install, disassemble it to individual pieces for a better finished product. When pull the side rails apart take a look where the rails meet the feet. You may see the Orings, bit s of them or a gap where they used to be. Just grab some off the shelf Orings at your local parts house that fit the cast plug-in firmly. you want it to be tight but not stretched because the rail needs to compress it a hair to keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input Colorado and RRToadHall.
Have ordered Dynamat ($14) on eBay. I am a little OCD and want things just right. Did
not know about the O-rings. Will look into that.
Cheers!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Folks, DynaMat is NOT approved for exterior use. It will not hold up and will trap moisture.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the follow up, RRToadHall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts