Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought my first RR 2 weeks ago and I am still basking in the warm afterglow of my new acquisition. I absolutely love it.

After doing a bit of research on this brilliant website and elsewhere, I was considering upgrading the rather dated Mk3 satnav / computer with a BMW Mk4 unit. However I have a sneaking suspicion I will be underwhelmed with the results, given the apparently marginal improvements that the upgrade seems to offer (sorry to Mk4 owners) and the general array of great features that MAY (with your help) be offered by much newer aftermarket items.

The problem is that I have an 04 Vogue with the DSP amp fitted. As I understand it, the integration with the in car systems that the DSP amp has means that it is difficult, if not impossible, to fit an aftermarket item like the Dynavin E39A. I really like the look of the Dynavin because it seems to have everything I want, including new satnav interface, touchscreen, Bluetooth, internet, stereo, compatibility with steering wheel controls, digital tv (optional), aux in, and the possibility of an Android based platform. It also seems to have a bit of quality and resembles the stock item.

http://www.incarnav.com/land_rover/range_rover_dynavin_touch_screen_sat_nav_system

I know this is long winded, but has anyone made a Dynavin work with the Vogue with DSP amp? Or does anyone know of a better solution to bring my in car entertainment up to 2012 in style?

Hope someone can help, regards, Lee.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,005 Posts
My personal experience (04 model) is that it's gut-and-replace. Except for the speakers, my whole system is completely replaced.

However, the link you have looks interesting. I don't know if that is a plug-and-play, but might be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand it is basically a plug a play solution with a HSE or a normal vogue without the DSP, but because the speakers are wired to the DSP amp it wouldn't work with those models, although I thought I saw a solution somewhere (can't find the link again) whereby a certain wire can be run through the vehicle to the amp at the back from the head

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
139 Posts
I'm not sure how this unit overcomes the issue that we run into starting with the '05's. It's a fiber link back to the main stereo processor. Unless this unit bypasses all that and attempts to interface directly into the amplifiers?

Also, what happens to all your system configuration for the vehicle? Does this support it or are you just lost to being able to set the clock, and adjust other settings?

·
Registered
256 Posts
You will have no control of the System configs. You would need a BMW Mid Unit to control the Clock and the other functions. The firmware version I have of this unit does not support control of the I-Bus functions.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As for the Gut and Replace I say a Resounding no you don't This unit uses the Factory Harness and plugs into the existing Amp module. I removed the Old head unit and the DVD drive Plus the Radio Module in the Trunk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thread detailing the X5 install would seem to suggest that an install on a Vogue with DSP is feasible in theory..although I wouldn't attempt it personally without knowing for definite either way.

Gorf this doesn't work with the 05+ jag based Rovers; this is for the BMW based vehicles.

L4flirop are you saying you have made this Dynavin unit work with a Rover with a DSP amp? if so I would like to know how you went about that if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, after further investigations I have not been able to find anyone that has actually made a Dynavin work with a DSP amp fitted vehicle, which is a shame.

However, as suggested I did contact Jeff at Jandt Distributing - he suggested that it could be done if the amp was also replaced as well with an aftermarket item. This is promising but I would not be comfortable testing it on without knowing for sure either way (i.e. by the example of someone who's done it).

I also contacted PowerfulUK about their similar but seemingly slightly inferior Chinese item - see here: http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/...eplacement-head-unit-with-satnav-dvd-etc.html

They state on the website and on the embedded videos in that link that their item will again not work with a RR with factory installed amplifier. They said they are looking at a workaround but haven't solved teh problem yet.

I also exchanged emails with a guy who lives near me, Matt Stevenson (he may be on these forums as I've seen him active on others) - he is working on his own in-car PC project which seems to blow any other unit on the market away. He has his own website / blog with lots of details and videos about it here: http://www.myrangerover.co.uk/MyRangeRover/IN_CAR_PC_PROJECT.html

He is still working on his very promising project but I have no idea if he intends to finish it soon, or moreover, start letting others know how to do it / sell it.

So, given my lack of meaningful progress I took a £100 gamble on a slightly faulty Mk4 replacement satnav unit off ebay for now, but I have had problems and need help with that which I will explain in a separate thread on these forums.

I still hope to one day upgrade the system to something much more modern and capable and would still therefore love to hear anyone's thoughts / suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,005 Posts
i really like my Pioneer AppRadio2. I over came the clock issue by having a switch installed on the power wire, as disconnecting the power on the clock resets it to 12:00 (as when the battery is disconnected). If I have to disconnect the battery I can reset the clock (at noon or midnight) by flipping the switch.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been considering my options with regard replacing the factory fit sat nav (my amp is currently not working). My plan as it stands now is to remove the multichanger in the glovebox and replace with a standard single din car stereo with ipod connectivity and pre outs, I can run RCA cables into the rear and fit an aftermarket amplifier to connect up with the existing speaker wiring (I will need to use passive crossovers here). In place of the screen in the front I was thinking of mounting an ipad that will give me a choice of nav software, music storage, internet access etc. There is also the ability to use a wireless obd reader and http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/iphone/index.php to give mpg readouts check error codes and things as well. This of course relies on me being able to control volume on the stereo in the glovebox from the steering wheel controls. I guess the use of a bluetooth stereo would give you hands free for your mobile as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a while since I started this thread, but has anyone tried installing a Dynavin N6 ICE unit in their pre-05 L322 Vogue?

The issue was always the (lack of) compatibility with the DSP amp in the vogue. This suggests the problem has been fixed in the new Dynavin units, at least in BMWs anyway.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/54788-dynavin-n6-purchased-mini-review/
This thread seems

·
Registered
494 Posts
Short answers no. Fibre optic versus copper wire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been a while since I started this thread, but has anyone tried installing a Dynavin N6 ICE unit in their pre-05 L322 Vogue?

The issue was always the (lack of) compatibility with the DSP amp in the vogue. This suggests the problem has been fixed in the new Dynavin units, at least in BMWs anyway.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/54788-dynavin-n6-purchased-mini-review/
This thread seems
I just got one, I had the older Dynavin D99+ unit and it worked fine until it died one day. I have not physically installed the new N6 unit yet, but I have plugged it in the cargo area just for a test, and yes it works just fine. I have a USA spec 2004 L322 Range Rover HSE.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1980e12mpl - Have you made any more progress installing your Dynavin N6? I also purchased one recently and just got around to installing it this weekend. I was able to also hook it up in the trunk to test it and it seemed to work fine. I ran the cabling through the car and have taken apart the dash and removed the old head unit. Unfortunately, that is where I'm stuck right now. The bracket that was included (for an E39 BMW) doesn't even come close to fitting in or around the stock navigation bracket. I know that the European Vogue models came with a different bracket (no navigation) and I'm wondering if this would work better if I ordered one... If you have any advice on how you mounted your N6 unit, I would love to hear it! Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1980e12mpl - Have you made any more progress installing your Dynavin N6? I also purchased one recently and just got around to installing it this weekend. I was able to also hook it up in the trunk to test it and it seemed to work fine. I ran the cabling through the car and have taken apart the dash and removed the old head unit. Unfortunately, that is where I'm stuck right now. The bracket that was included (for an E39 BMW) doesn't even come close to fitting in or around the stock navigation bracket. I know that the European Vogue models came with a different bracket (no navigation) and I'm wondering if this would work better if I ordered one... If you have any advice on how you mounted your N6 unit, I would love to hear it! Thanks.
Yes. It is installed. Watch this You tube vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmgNh6deQAQ If that link does not work, basically you just cut away some plastic on the original mount in order to fit the dynavin unit. no fasteners are required to hold it in place because of the way the top of the dash sandwiches the unit in there. My only problem with the new dynavin n6 unit is that when the fader is faded all to the front, the rear door speakers still play fairly loud, which is a bit of a nuisance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts