RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded my 4.4 V8 Bmw Based L322 Thermostat. My L322 no longer operates at the 110*C, it is now down to 94*C. Vehicle runs much much cooler, no degrading plastics or rubber seals. The new thermostat operating at 88*C does not have electrical component, it's just a regular thermostat. I have left the DME wire unplugged and for the last 1.5 weeks, no check engine light.

Thermostat from ECS Tuning: thermostat with gasket - 88C

Picture of the installed thermostat:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Interestingly, you probably have a persistent fault in DME for thermostat control, but not a check engine light. If you have a scanner, could you check and see if this it the case? I'm thinking about doing the same, but was hoping for a more plug-n-play route.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That is a rare but great trick in the book.
I am happy to see that you are benefiting from it as well. Great work! In my opinion, everyone should do it! I plugged the end of the dme wire with a 100w 12ohm resistor. It fools it okay with zero persistent fault and no check engine light. You could do that or buy this $12 bmw part to plug the dme wire on the 03-05 L322. Same result. For BMW E70 X5 2007 Coolant Temperature Sensor Resistor Genuine 13901734469 | eBay

Now don't stop there 😁
I also removed the clutch fan and put in an electric pusher fan (bmw part), kept the original shroud and modified it to hold the electric fan. I also replaced the 2.0+ bar coolant overflow tank cap with a 1.2 bar cap engineered specifically for these bmw engines. The pressure is no longer excessive. GAS 1.2 Bar Coolant Cap
Let's just say that I no longer sound like a school bus or UPS truck coming around the corner and the temps under the bonnet is now acceptable and my water pump thanks me for lightening its load.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks Rovah! How did you wire the electric fan? Is it controlled by coolant temperature sensor, like factory, or is it running all the time?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry, I don’t speak Celsius. For a data point, though, attaching a bluetooth reader to my 2012 L322 S/C it appears to hover between 180 and 183 F when fully warm. This gives me a comfortable margin compared to my dodge’s thermostat which is, by OEM design, built to maintain 203 F. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks Rovah! How did you wire the electric fan? Is it controlled by coolant temperature sensor, like factory, or is it running all the time?
I tapped into the ECM signal wire (the skinniest one) at the auxiliary fan wires connection so that the electric fan is only triggered by the ECM when the coolant temp leaving the radiator hits 80-104°C / 176-219°F. The oem thermistor sensor in the pic attached measures the coolant temp leaving the radiator. Both the aux fan and the electric fan come on and off simultaneously. Now for trial purpose, I unplugged the aux fan and only ran the electric fan. I did not notice any overheating or performance issue so I left it unplugged for good. Likewise, you could remove the clutch fan and not add an electric fan at all, but that leaves you with zero backup in case the aux fan fails to cool the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
FFRR 2005 Vogue 4.4 V8
18 Posts
+1 for the 88deg thermo. Fairly exxy out of Europe into Australia but well worth it, I'm right on the button at 94deg unless under heavy load. Very rarely over 100.

Another thing that I can't speak highly enough of is replacing the trans cooler and thermostat. If you don't know if it has been done. Do it asap.

I'll be doing the thermo fan as well at some stage. 40deg+ summers in Aus are not nice!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I’ve got a few more parts to order.

• DME fix
  • Trans Cooler
  • Trans Fan
  • Electric Pusher Fan
I’ve gotta stop reading posts on here or I’ll definitely go broke.

For those interested, my next thread is going to be a bunch of pictures of my 2010+ facelift. Stay tune!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts