RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 NAS 4.6SE Harman/Kardon without navigation.

All the door speakers work, but there is no bass coming from them.
No bass from the subs.

Does this sound like all the door amps are out, or is there one point that would stop them all?
Thanks

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
Do you have the DSP system amp in the back? If so you have no door amps and everything is routed through the DSP... which has a nasty habit of failing in sections. For instance mid range in the doors having only upper end of their assigned range.

Are the subs dead or just no bass? Are they scratchy or clear if they have sound. Subs like to disintegrate on the perimeter. They may be getting signal but there's not enough speaker left to do anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no amp in the left rear behind the sub/carpeted panel.
I assume that's just for the models with navigation (my old HSE had the amp there).
Unless there's a different location for the amp, I'm assuming it has them in each door, although I haven't had a chance to remove any of the panels yet.
There's zero bass coming from any of the speakers. Each door speaker has sound though, just no bass.

Nothing from the subs. I know there is a small amplifier on the housing, I thought perhaps this could be the culprit.

There are no blown fuses either.
It seems unlikely that they would all go out at once, which makes me think there is some sort of failure point, perhaps at the becm.

Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced anything similar before I started tearing things apart.

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
Audio systems are pretty much stand alone due to the number of systems available through out the world with base bottom markets. The BeCM has no impact on the tones that comes out of the speakers. BeCM only has the initial radio power fuse, power to the outstations in each door, power for the CD changer and left and right antennae amplifiers. Since you have music in all the door speakers, just no base, obviously the door amps are working and power is not an issue. If there was no power from the BeCM to the door amps. you would have no sound at all.

So "all go out at once." Has your system ever worked properly during your ownership?

·
Super Moderator
2,071 Posts
There's no bass from the door speakers as that is intended to be dealt with by the sub. No bass = no sub working, either dead sub amp or seized speakers.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
46 Posts
The surrounds on the subs can also be rebuilt. Mine has the dual 6” subs and while everything seemed to function properly they made a god awful rattling since the foam surrounds disintegrated. I took measurements and found a set of nice rubber surrounds on eBay which should last much longer. Not a terribly difficult job but a bit tedious. I’d budget 2-3 hours if you’ve never done it before. I’m a bit of a home audio junkie so I’ve had some practice refoaming speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts