RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been having intermittent screeching noises behind the dash that are due to my old and worn out e-box (ECM) cooling fan. An example of the noise is from another poster here:
. Rather than spend $100 for a new one or take a chance on an old one that usually all have the same issue, I decided to rebuild. The old motor had tons of damage and shaft play and I decided to just replace the entire motor rather than clean up the old one.

Removal is pretty easy and outlined in RAVE.

Disassembly is pretty straight forward too. There are plastic holders around the housing just pop up and the outer half comes apart.

To remove the blower wheel, what I found easiest was to first take the motor apart. To do this, you need to bend up 2 metal tabs on the back of the motor so that the assembly that has the motor brushes pulls out.

Once this half of the motor is out, take a small tipped screw driver and push on the center of the shaft that has the plastic wheel still connected. This will help prevent any damage to the blower wheel since it's just plastic. The dimensions for this old motor were about 2.3mm shaft diameter, ~32mm long and 27.5mm wide. I was able to find a cheap 12V hobby DC motor that was about 5mm longer for about 7 dollars (Amazon.com: URBEST DC 12V 6000RPM Mini Magnetic Motor for Smart Cars DIY Toys: Home Improvement). This is what I ended up using. The old motor measured around 4200 RPMs, and the new one measured around 5500 RPMs. Nothing wrong with more airflow to the ECM :).

Old Motor:

Put the motor back into the rubber vibration sleeve and bend the tabs as shown to help it fit:

Place back into the housing:

Push blower fan back on to the other side of the shaft. Ensure there is some space behind and in front of it so that it doesn't rub onto the plastic housing

Solder the old wires back to the motor. You will want to hook 12V up to the two leads on the motor first to ensure it's spinning the correct direction and blowing air out of the port. This will also help give any indication that the blower wheel isn't rubbing on the housing.

Close it all up. Test one last time, and now you have a nice rebuilt e-box cooling fan (y).

Just look at the damage/wear on the commutators of the two old e-box blower fans I had.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
77 Posts
You are a friggin' boss! I didn't even know that fan existed until I recently started getting that sound too.

Motor purchased. Should be a nice evening project and an excuse to rescue the various screws that have rolled underneath the housing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts