RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Ready to fit I have a brand new auto gearbox oil cooler with pipes plus new engine oil cooler pipes to fit to existing engine oil cooler.

I’m expecting a messy job but, can anyone provide any tips or hints when fitting and can it be done with normal non-specialty tools?

I’m hoping removal of both sets of pipes plus the old auto gearbox cooler won’t be too difficult as it’s a southern Spanish P38 with zero corrosion...just copious oil leaks!

Thank you in advance,
Tom.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
On all three occasions I've tried to replace and engine oil cooler, I've had to replace the cooler and pipes. Not sure if the Spanish climate will have helped but normally they weld themselves together so you've got to replace the whole lot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Spray the pipes at the unions with lots of penetrating oil and let them sit before trying to remove. Also make sure you use two line wrenches to remove them. Sometimes its a no win like Richard G says.

·
Registered
669 Posts
just rebuilding my 1998 4.6 and as previously mentioned the nuts corrode onto the srtub of the oil cooler despite days of soaking in penetrating fluid etc. cut the pipes slipped on a ring spanner and eventually got it off thus saving the oil cooler itself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts