RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Drove to lunch fine, came back out and my key wouldn’t turn. So after waiting a few minutes, opening and closing doors, locking unlocking doors etc and still nothing I pulled fuses 17 & 18 (couldn’t remember which to try so pulled both) Now my key turns, lights come on and radio works, steering wheel moves etc. but car makes zero effort to start. Won’t turn over at all. Tried jumper cables but that made literally zero difference. I get no clicking noise or anything. Just nothing once the key isn’t turned past position 2.

Any ideas? Starter? Still a bad battery despite being boosted? Starter relay?

I just got back yesterday from about 500 miles round trip weekend trip where it performed flawlessly and it showed no hesitation starting up this morning or on my way to lunch.

Waiting on a tow truck now...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got it home last night and tested the battery. It read 12.2 volts so I put it on charge for a while until the charger read full and tested at 13 volts.

I had to remove fuse 18 again to get the key to turn. But still got nothing. All interior lights seem to work but nothing happens at all when I turn the key to start.

Anybody have any ideas what to check?

What are the odds my steering column would go at the same time something else failed to prevent it from starting?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
You might try disconnecting battery, leaving it for an hour or more and then reconnecting. I doubt the column went at the same time. Fuse 18 BTW.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sounds like an immobilizer issue, of some kind. Pulling fuse 18 allows one turn of the key even if there was no chip in the key (I think) but if the immobilzer is fubar then the ECM still won't allow the engine to crank over. Key didn't get open and the chip fall out did it? Got another key you can try?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll try disconnecting the battery tonight and leaving it settle for a while. To be honest I’ve been a little scared to disconnect it for fear of causing more problems. Prior to this sudden failure I didn’t have so much as a warning light, it was running great.

Nothing fell out of the key. I did try replacing the key battery last night with a fresh one just in case the old wasn’t strong enough to transmit but of course that got me nowhere too.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: ‘06 HSE won’t start

It wouldn't get you very far, the battery only powers the transmitter for locking and unlocking the truck. The immobilizer chip is just a passive weigand type coded module that is energized and read by the coil wire around the key switch (its actually the cupped portion of the key switch on top of the console, or sticking out of the dash depending on the year truck).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

I disconnected the battery completely for 6 hours today and when I hooked it back up the key turns. But that is where the good news stops. The key turns but I still get no action whatsoever when I try to start. I can, however, hear some clicking from the engine bay if I’m standing in front and my wife is turning the key. So that makes me think the ignition is at least partially working.

Any ideas on a completely dead car if the steering lock doesn’t seem to be the problem?

(My head unit didn’t power back up after reconnecting the battery while everything else did so that is a little concerning...but no point in worrying about whether my stereo still works in a broke down car so I’ll deal with that later!)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
299 Posts
Clicking might be the starter solenoid engaging but there is not enough amps to run the starter. You could get the battery load tested if not sure of condition. Sometimes they fail suddenly. If good I would loosen and re-tighten all connections on solenoid and starter. If that does not fix it I would suspect the starter. Hopefully not something more complex like ignition key.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has your RR got a switch under the dash where the steering wheel is ? It looks like a bmw type switch with two arrows on it. If you do have this switch press and hold it on and you should see lights come on as if the key was inserted and turned to position 2 if you put your key in and turn it you might be able to start the engine as this switch bypasses the normal key ignition security. If your car starts then it’s probibly the ignition switch that’s faulty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well went out this morning this morning and the key is back to not turning without pulling the fuse. At this point I’m at a loss.

Going to try the starter relay next. Still think it’s something else though. Funny to me that that the steering column would go at the same time something else that would prevent the car from even trying to start. From what I’ve seen the steering column issue should basically remedy itself after pulling the fuse (one time).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help. Drove to lunch fine, came back out and my key wouldn’t turn. So after waiting a few minutes, opening and closing doors, locking unlocking doors etc and still nothing I pulled fuses 17 & 18 (couldn’t remember which to try so pulled both) Now my key turns, lights come on and radio works, steering wheel moves etc. but car makes zero effort to start. Won’t turn over at all. Tried jumper cables but that made literally zero difference. I get no clicking noise or anything. Just nothing once the key isn’t turned past position 2.

Any ideas? Starter? Still a bad battery despite being boosted? Starter relay?

I just got back yesterday from about 500 miles round trip weekend trip where it performed flawlessly and it showed no hesitation starting up this morning or on my way to lunch.

Waiting on a tow truck now...
Mine did the same thing a couple of months ago but all it was was the car didn’t know it was in Park. So I leant on the gear lever and it started. This happened a couple of times but has been fine since.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
13 Posts
I still think it is the steering column. it is easy to remove the shroud and drill a hole forward of the casting mark and spray copious quantities of WD40 all about inside there. Put paper over the floor carpet to catch drips. You don't want to drill into the lock solenoid so be careful with the depth of the drilling. Put grease on the drill to catch filings. Also, buying a second hand column is not good as it will most likely be faulty too. Mine started this merry dance about 4 years ago but a good drowning every couple of years in all directions in the drill hole with WD40 has kept it faultless. Good luck..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But if it were just the column would pulling the fuse/removing the fitting not get it to crank? (Albeit only once) If I disconnect the fitting on the column or pull the fuse it allows me to turn the key but I get no signs of starting whatsoever.

I tried pulling the panel behind the battery to access the starter relay like i saw in a YouTube video and of course mine looks nothing like the video. I also found a cut cable that looks like it at one point went to the battery positive terminal (the other end is still attached) So now I fear I’m dealing with some rigging by a previous owner.

Hopefully I can attach some pictures of what I’m looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
That looks like an aftermarket power wire for an amp in the rear of the vehicle. You could poke around the trunk and see if the other end of it is there. Previous owner probably cut the fuse block out close to the battery when removing the equipment rather than disconnect it properly from the + terminal of the battery.

I wouldn't worry about that though it's not related to your problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I had a few minutes to work on it this weekend when I wouldn’t get rained on. I replaced all the fuses except for the large sized ones on the right hand side of the boxes. (Did the fuses in the cabin and the trunk). No dice. Then just on a lark I tried a new battery. Still no joy, which I suppose isn’t surprising.

I also attempted to use the key to manually unlock the door. It mechanically unlocked the door but when I opened the door the alarm went off. So now I’m wondering if I have a problem with the BCM and it not recognizing the key. From my reading I think that it first sends the signal to the ECM before even the steering column unlocks? So maybe that’s why when I can get the key to turn I’m still not getting any cranking action?

Oh and my stereo hasn’t come back on since the first time I disconnected the battery. Blower, lights and seats/windows stilll work when key is in position 2.

Any thoughts on the BCM possibility? At this point I’m basically down to just trying to find a loose connection somewhere and I really don’t have the time or patience to take the dash apart. I’m beginning to get to the end of my rope with this thing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts