New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires

New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires

There are still zero offerings for 19" AT / offroad tires in North America, but I just noticed there is a new donut that just became available from Cooper in both 18" (285/60R1 and 20" (275/45-20), with what looks like a nice, chunky tread and a competitive price. Both are upsized a bit but should fit the Sport no problem. The 45 profile of the 20" is obviously not much more than the low profile stock rubbers, but still this should be a major improvement over Conti stockers for people wishing to take their S/C Sport off road. This tire isn't yet listed on Cooper's web site, but can be ordered from America's Tire (these are links for stores located in So Cal, your local price and availability may vary):

Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18

Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/45R20

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM MODERATOR
    Interesting timing here...I suppose some of you if not all have received the latest LRL magazine - for a while there I was beginning to wonder if they were going to publish again it had been so long since the last issue.

There is a smoking hot picture of a Red/Black Kahn RRS on the cover with some very special rims for those that enjoy the fancy metal shoes! I have to admit...they look good to me too.

On the inside, there is a relatively decent review of on/off road tires as well...although for some reason when they reviewed the Nitto Terra G"s they neglected to include the 285/18 size that we run, even though it's mentioned on an earlier page as a good option.

One item that caught my eye is the Advan street tire...that looks like an interesting alternative for the 19" option when we're not running around in the 18's. I'm curious if it's a better gripping tire than the Continentals and any sound quality...the look is quite attractive.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

I can't find that orange/red Kahn picture any more... Here is a silver one, same mods:

A bit too "Look at me!!!!!" for my taste.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Great news. Someone please put these on their RRS and give us some feedback. i just bought the Pirelli scorpions or else I'd get these right away. If anyone is interested in some Pirellis with 1000 miles on them in the 20" size let me know and I will get these AT's. Or if someone wants some Conti's with 1000 miles on them, alternatively.
    1997 Defender 90 Coniston Green
    2006 RRS/SC Java Black LUX pkg

Actually, according to my calculations the Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/50R20 would also fit the Sport, offering some extra sidewall compared to the above "near stock" alternative and perhaps negligible rubbing only under full compression (which is what happens with the 285/60R18s I have, virtually identical height and diameter and only very slight rubbing not affecting anything other than a bit of worn plastic trim inside the rear wheel wells.) Your speedo would be off about 8%, but that would be a perfectly acceptable tradeoff to get real all terrain tires for some of us - ehm, you - stuck with Brembo brakes, I'm sure.

Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/50R20

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Are these out yet? I need to replace my 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers in the next 10k miles for my street tires . But I have been considering upgrading to a "20 Stormer Wheels with 285/50/20 Copper LTZ Tires would be a combonation on my P38 I think. What I really want is the "19 RR Sport Rims with the 255/55/19 Goodyear MT/R but doesn't look like those are coming to America Anytime soon.

I current use a 285/60/18 Terra Grappler and Just bought "16 Rims and ordered 265/75/16 Maxxis Buckshots for off road. But I still want a decent AT tire for everyday driving especially living in Colorado

Is there anymore info on these Copper LTZ tires ? Nothing is on there web page about them
    1999 4.6HSE Arnott Gen III, Energy Suspension Bump Stops, 30mm EAS Lift , Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 265/75/16, and Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18

2005 Honda Element EX awd

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...z/untitled.jpg

Not much out there yet, the tire is really brand new, although the fella at America's Tire told me he can order it right away - not sure if in all sizes though, I was talking to him about the 18s. There is a thread on a Durango forum saying they aren't even supposed to be out until Fall.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/pri ... hp?t=31994

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    They make the Terra Grapler in the 285/50/20 size . I'm wondering which tire would be a better all around tire, I really want the tire just for on road driving , winter driving and the occasional dirt road . The 16" rims are my beaters
    1999 4.6HSE Arnott Gen III, Energy Suspension Bump Stops, 30mm EAS Lift , Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 265/75/16, and Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18

2005 Honda Element EX awd

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...z/untitled.jpg

Thanks for finding - I had assumed the Nito were about it. I would like a bit more sidewall than what I have. A larger OD does not bother me as these have plenty of power on the low end - not enough for you street racers, but my perspective also includes my old P38 still in my garage!
    Proceed Until Apprehended

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hey umb and others,

sorry, i must post a noob question..

i dont see how a 285/50/20 can fit on a 275/40/20?

As you guys told me before 275 is the width of the wheel. So won't a tire of 285 'not fit' a wheel of width 275? I think i'm missing some obvious logic here.. =( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

But anywho, if the 285/50/20 do work, im gonna have to pick up some and hit up that ohv park in asuza, ca that i missed the last time =)

PEACE!
    RRS HSE Bonatti Grey

frinsan, where have you been buddy? The wheel arches of the Sport do have some extra wiggle room to allow for larger tires than the factory ones without issues other than your speedo / odometer being off proporationately. As a rule of thumb, tires with a total diameter of about 31.5" or less should fit without rubbing on either wheel wells or shocks. Your stock 20" rims are wide enough to take 285/50 tires. If you can live with the speedo telling you are going 60 when you are really going 65, these tires would be a good choice for off roading with a S/C Sport, since 18s aren't an option and nobody seems to make 19s all terrains other than those Wrangler MTRs we cannot get in North America.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    so i could put the Nittos 20/50/285 on my factory stormers?
    are there any pictures of these?
    would there be any rubbing?
    how come nobody ever mentioned this before as an option for a S/C only after the Copper tire's came out?

what would you guys do? Copper's VS Nittos

if i can put the Nittos on then i think im going to get them
    im assuming that they would be Summer tires?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REDMANN
    so i could put the Nittos 20/50/285 on my factory stormers?
    A 50 profile, while better than 40 or 45, still ain't much and chances of you scraping or dinging your expensive rims - especially over rocky terrains - are still pretty good IMHO. If you are going to go that far (and have the room in the garage for storing a spare set), you could maybe consider buying a used set of "cheap" banged up 20" rims off eBay and use those instead off road, keeping the fancy Stormers for civilian use or resale time... I run 285/60/18s on my Sport without any problems or rubbing worth mentioning, and when you do the math you find out the 285/50/20s are actually a tad smaller than my 18s. So, on paper they should fit, but I haven't personally tried them, so...

I think nobody has mentioned this size before because the percentage of people buying a Sport to take it offroad is small to begin with, and becomes much smaller among S/C owners. Chances of one of those souls stopping by our forum here to instruct us about all terrain tire choices are pretty slim. Weren't it for forum members like Jeffrey, most of us here would probably still be clueless about 18" A/Ts for our HSE. We would be *****ing about Goodyear not releasing that 19" MTR in the US and miss out on all the fun out there.

The Nitto Terra Gs have quite a reputation among some forum members here, not only as an all terrain tire but as a perfectly suitable all-season rubber as long as you don't drag race. These new Coopers are so new I doubt you'll get any feedback anywhere.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    NICE! Thanks for the info umbertob =D I've been a bit busy with work and etc, and after realizing that i was TOO obsessed with my car, i took a little break to think about things other than the RRS. But now im back!...i've found myself reading this forum almost everday now, lol.. just like before...

But i'm really really planning on getting 285/50/20s tires in the next couple of weeks, I will definitely post some picts up when i get them. Of course this means im going to have to test them tires, so i might post a little proposal of another light off roading session in So Cal
    RRS HSE Bonatti Grey

FRESHMAN ROVER
    guys, I have been trying various sizes on my lr3 using your stock 20" rims which are 9.5" wide as opposed to the stock 18" which is 8" wide. (the lr3 steering tower/struts are identical) while the nitto TG 18"x285/60 may sound like the same size as a 20"x285/50 tire, the 20 is going to be wider because the rim allows it to be wider by not pulling it in as much as the 8" rim width.

make sense?

i have tested toyo proxes st 20" 285/50 last year which almost worked and the 07 lr3 it actually touches the cast iron arm that comes up against the back of the tire, top-inside of the front wheels. the only reason the nitto barely works is because it's on an 8" rim and is also about 1/10" narrower than the toyo.

that nitto 285/50x20 you mention, i bet will not fit without a custom spacer because it specs at 11.7" wide on a 9" rim. if you are using rrs 20"s, then the rim will be around 9.5" wide, thus allowing the tire to fully realize it's width, thus rubbing the steering support arms behind the inside top of the tire.

if you put on RRIII 20's, then you could use 275's or 265's because those 20's are only 8.5" or so and have same bolt pattern as rrs/lr3 now.

for my street/summer wheels i am using the rrs 20" 5V rims that are 9.5" wide with 275/45 toyo proxes st which will be just about exactly the same as the stock 255/55x19 height and slightly wider. the 285/50 looked great but couldn't work without grinding a bit off the cast iron support....

the next phase will be putting in the tallest tire i can while not rubbing on the arm. i had the nitto tg last year and liked them pretty much but for snow i don't mind a touch narrower anyway and might get a bit more height by using a 275/65x18, goign to try the bfg-AT-ko. i am also getting some hub centric spacers from rovers north next week that are 30mm +offset and center on the hub as needed but am concerned that the lug nuts will not be able to properly center the rim itself as that's what the protruding hub flange currently does. we'll see. maybe the bfg will work - it's a bit taller than the nitto but a bit narrower as well.
    i will test the spacers and some bfg 32.5" tall x 11.5" wide 18" tires i have just for kicks.
    2007 LR3 extensively modified for overland travel, 106k miles
    2004 discovery - work truck modified, 90k miles
    1996 discovery - 1st baby, 240k miles
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

Previous: 2007 Range Rover SC - White/Ivory camping cruiser

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now