New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires - Page 7
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires

Re: New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires

Quote Originally Posted by vinniman
    I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers
    That's because we have EAS. Haven't seen a converstion kit yet. There is the "rod mod" (adjusts the ride height sensor position) which gives an extra ~2", but that's about it.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Leo
    FRESHMAN ROVER

To the Seven Dwarfs.

I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers or even swing away tyre carriers which solves the spare wheel size limitations !
    Hi vinnieman, Koni do aftermarket shocks, and they're very good. There is a US company that does swing away carriers that attach to the tow hitch, but I don't remember their name. The D3 rear carries can be made to fit, but ruin the RRS's looks, lol. If it doesn't fit underneath, there's always the roof rack option.

FORUM MODERATOR

To the Seven Dwarfs.

It's great to hear about all new tyre fitments in 18" and 20" varieties suitable for either our on-road or off-road behaving.

Each tyre manufacturer has a unique feature if this is to do with the tyres construction, number of plies, rubber compound or pattern suitable to relevant parts of the world with differing conditions, loads to be carried, specifications and speeds.

Has anybody carried out improvements to the suspension instead of just the replacement tyres to achieve an overall smarter outcome of plus/minus fitments appropriate to their location ? I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers or even swing away tyre carriers which solves the spare wheel size limitations !

Once we all start driving around in gumbo sized-rubber plantation sapping-round black things, there is definitely going to be other concerns related to the gearing of the truck, weight of components, running ground clearance and stopping power.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
    '88 Highline
    Perth, W.A.
    That has got to be some good **** you are smoking...whatever it is, it's got you running at 100 mph all day long!!!!
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    That has got to be some good Golly Gee Whiz you are smoking...whatever it is, it's got you running at 100 mph all day long!!!!
    Yeah, I think it has something to do with how things spin backwards in the southern hemisphere?

FORUM MODERATOR

Maybe so...I can't make heads or tails of what he's trying to say! I know it's funny stuff, but it confuses the crap out of me.

PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

JUNIOR ROVER

C'mon Blokes-joking aside.

Most concerns with 19" available tyres is a nightmare with your Rangey Sport whether it's the standard or S/C brakes, as the replacement market is very limiting and everybody appears to be trying 18" or 20" or even 22" option improvements.

From my personal experience in the past with plus fitments, there is always a trade-off in increased performance when up sizing to bigger wheels or lower profile rubber such as weight of the 'package', stiffer springs or dampers required to cope with either heavier unsprung weight residing at each corner, more stress on hub bearings and handling/clearance issues.

No body appears to be tackling these other concerns together with their preferred tyre/wheel selection or any breakages. Simple things like re-positioning the EAS sensors might achieve an extra 2" of body lift, but what about the brake lines and where EAS airbags have dampers too, how about replacing the dual rate Bilstiens with reversibles to give you more room inside the guards such as Rick and the teams Pre-runners at www.doetsch-shocks.com who could hook you guys up asap ?

Some of you have tried factory 20 inch wheels with wider or taller round black things from other aftermarket tyre suppliers and appear to be experiencing problems with suspension rubbing, A-arm clearances or rubbing inner guards of your trucks.
    Check out www.speedywheels.com.au who have their Addiction or Cross-5 wheels which can be custom drilled per available offsets that may in fact solve your lug nut seating and tyre rubbing concerns by siting the tyre and wheels further outside !

A company called Opposite Lock "Down Under" has invented a single swing away tyre carrier which requires removal of rear bumpers, installation to the rear chassis member and bumper re-installation without effecting looks of your Rangey Sport ?

Quite simply there are better ways to resolve your problems by touching base with those of us who are one step ahead and have already tried applications like 'JWest' with his Disco3 and which have resulted in tried and proven solutions or advice.

Whether it's crashing through potholes in Chicago, threading the billy goat tracks of Washington D.C., driving in pouring rain from Orlando, Florida to touring through Yosemiti National Park in California to the Rubicon Trail, near Lake Tahoe.
    I've visited all these places and each has a unique environment completely different to the Outback of Western Australia, and each of our vehicles needs to be set up differently to the desired tastes and climatic conditions experienced by LR's.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
    '88 Highline
    Perth, W.A.

Premium Member

Some of you have tried factory 20 inch wheels with wider or taller round black things from other aftermarket tyre suppliers and appear to be experiencing problems with suspension rubbing, A-arm clearances or rubbing inner guards of your trucks.
    Cool, a post in English.
    I've not had any real issues with the 20" off road tires on my RRS for light/moderate off roading... but I think you're missing the boat on this one.

Except for the Goose https://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33403, people here simply do not buy an RRS to go off road. There are about 5 of us on this board that regularly go off road, but it's still <1% of our total mileage. The average RRS never sees dirt. Ever. There just isn't the interest or viable marketplace for major RRS off roading modifications. Scraping the EAS? Nobody is going to do that. If you're looking to do a lot of wheeling, there are several much more capable vehicles for significantly less dough. It is what it is.

FRESHMAN ROVER

people here simply do not buy an RRS to go off road.
    I can't fathom why someone would buy any Land Rover, including RRS, and not go off-road. There are lighter, faster, cheaper, better handling, and more luxurious options for just sticking to the road.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    I can't fathom why someone would buy any Land Rover, including RRS, and not go off-road.
    Sure you can. People want the image. LR marketing is very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevs
    I can't fathom why someone would buy any Land Rover, including RRS, and not go off-road.
    Sure you can. People want the image. LR marketing is very effective.
    I had no intention of going "off road" when I bought the RRS. Now, I'm hooked though.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

That makes two of us. I lined up like a retard in front of the local Land Rover dealership in August 2005 (paying full list and being raped on some bling accessories) because the RRS looked hot and I wanted something different, elegant and comfortable for my daily commute, couldn't care less about off-roading. In short order I bought 21" rims, vroom vroom exhaust... It took me a good 6 months to figure out the "other" side of the Sport.

Premium Member

And I make three. I don't know anyone who bought an RRS thinking "I'm gonna go wheelin". I'm glad I got into off roading too... it's a whole new dimension that most will never know.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Well sure, not Rubicon-style "wheelin" per se, but perhaps not wanting to be turned around by every little mud bog or washout on the forest service road to a weekend hike, or the unplowed service road to x-country skiing, or just up <relative's> 1/2 mile driveway after a snow dump or the creek floods, or driving on the beach without fear of getting stuck. Light stuff that any high-clearance 4x4 can do, but a lot of street-oriented sporty SUVs can't. Seems to me these would be some of the key reasons why someone would buy an RRS over an X5, ML, XC90, etc. I'm sure you guys are right about the image thing, but I just don't get it. I just can't imagine paying all the concessions that go along with capability (price, mileage, reliability, performance, etc.) just for the image of something you don't intend to actually do. I wouldn't be able to get past the thought that I was wasting such a capable vehicle. I'm glad you all eventually did take it out, tho.

Premium Member

I'm sure you guys are right about the image thing, but I just don't get it.
    You must be new to America? This country runs on a lack of substance!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Oddly enough 3rd generation So Cal born and raised. Glad to be outta there now, though!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now