New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New 18" and 20" All Terrain tires

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I contacted a local dealer about the Nittos 285/50/20 and he said that it would fit the Sport. however as soon as the wheels start articulating there would be rubing. i may get a test fit this weekend but does this make sense? can these tires work in on road and off road driving?
    did anybody try this yet?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    well, my dealer would not even entertain that size. really, it may actually make contact between the top of the backside of the tire and the upper control tower/strut thingy - eaither against the cut metal flange that is rounded over or the cast iron vertical arm that comes up in a curved shape right behind the wheel.
    the issue isn't total diameter, it's the offset width.

also, isn't a 20", low profile agressive offroad tire a little silly? having a Vesuvius model, does it have brembos or normal brakes up front? if normal, why not get some 18" for your offroad tires? i have your orriginal equipment 20" 5v pattern rims on my lr3 with 275/45x20's and they really corner well and the rim width looks much better than the stupid 19's.

separately, while i know everyone hopped on the nitto Terra Grapler tire-wagon the BFG AT-ko is a highly superior tire. i had the nittos last year and will use the bfg from here on out. mainly the sidewall is better and the construction. part of why the mounted price of a bfg is ~$275 for a 32".
    2007 LR3 extensively modified for overland travel, 106k miles
    2004 discovery - work truck modified, 90k miles
    1996 discovery - 1st baby, 240k miles
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

Previous: 2007 Range Rover SC - White/Ivory camping cruiser

jwest, nothing smaller than a 19" will fit a S/C Sport (including the Vesuvius, which was a limited edition run of the S/C last year), so you are really stuck with 20s since there is no 19" AT tire in a 19" size available here in the US.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    dude, i know the specs on sc versions which is why i asked about that model. i wasn't sure if it only came in sc set up. still, the 9.5" wide rim is not the ideal rim to have an offroad tire on.

before i sold my RRSC, I was going to get 20" tires like redmann is talking about on but on those stock 20's which are only like 8-8.5" wide and then have an aftermarket set like 10" wide with summer tires.

also, i just looked at my bfg size sheet, nothing in 20" that will work for our cars without modifications. their smallest 20" is 32.5" tall and ~11.7" wide on a 9" rim. it might work on the rrsport sc if the rim were not so wide but doubtful on the 9.5" rims

so, the nitto 275/60-20 would be cool on the sport but would rub in articulation. however, will you "articulate" much? meaning, on several winter trips i have needed height but not wild articulation because i was in snow on double track/jeep roads. thus, a tall but narrow enough tire could be an option for you. the above 275/60 is just under 33" but right at 11" wide.
    after looking at some other brands/sizing, the nitto might give you the least trouble though......

it is interesting how the new generation of rovers have become problematic in terms of modifying for off road use. they could be better by simply having better clearances designed into such things like the control arms/towers, wheel well volumes, etc. for example i had an 06 land cruiser with 285/65x18" (32.5"x11.7") bfg's and had NO rubbing, no clearance issues, no turning radius reductions.
    my 2004 discovery has plenty of wheel well space too, and of course can be spring lifted for more.

i am eager for a better company to buy rover, ford is dumbing down some important design aspects.
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

FRESHMAN ROVER
    "also, isn't a 20", low profile agressive offroad tire a little silly? "

I dont think its silly. Some people do not have the luxury (time and money) to have a extra set of 18" wheels.

For me, I bought an HSE with the stock 20" rims. I'd just rather just go to a local tire shop and switch out my continental tires for Nittos 285/50/20, instead of switching out all 4 wheels every single time i want to go off roading. Its just faster and cheaper to switch out tires only.

oh and also jwest, you obviously don't know the specs if you didn't know that the Vesuvius only comes s/c. hence the word.. "limited". NOOB!
    RRS HSE Bonatti Grey

FRESHMAN ROVER
    is it "faster" to change tires every time you want to go offroading?

don't be a jerk saying i didn't know about the "limited" specs when i in fact said i didn't know about it to start with.

also, if you can't afford the luxury of a few rims, you probably can't afford the car you're in to begin with. it's like going out to dinner and tipping poorly.
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

Quote Originally Posted by jwest
    if you can't afford the luxury of a few rims, you probably can't afford the car you're in to begin with. it's like going out to dinner and tipping poorly.
    Yeah sure, that's the same thing.

Aren't you the same guy who doesn't understand why people who can afford the Sport don't just get the FFRR instead?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    unbertob, am i not allowed to defend myself against stupid remarks? actually, in a better mood, yes i do in fact understand - i say choose the car that works for your own priorities. except for time, separate wheels is kind of nice to have in my opinion. i do it myself in less than an hour.

as for luxury or either, i prefer to use my discovery II for my toy and keep the newer model with seats and such in it for work and going out with friends.

but yes, i imagine if one can afford a sport they can probably also afford a ffrr and have instead made a functionality or design preference choice.

i wish we could blend them anyway we like in somme sort of online car ordering manner. i'd take the cool lines of the sport, the cargo of the lr3 and the interior materials and comfort of the full size along with large tire capacity, both tall for offroad and 12" wide for street tires
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

separate wheels is kind of nice to have in my opinion. i do it myself in less than an hour.
    Yeah, that's more or less how long it takes me now to go from 21s to 18s and viceversa, after LOTS of practice. Of course, I am usually only about 1/2 way done at that point, since I also need to remove the friggin' side steps, and those take longer than the wheels.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    man....you can pick up a decent D2 for around $20k now, more if you want it all loaded and low miles, less if you don't care and it's totally a toy. or, an 05 lr3 would be fun to just tear into with offroad mods.....

lucky for you sport lovers, the sport is most likely the first model that will have the TDV8 engine in a couple years.... so i have been told by a dealer.
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

Premium Member
    also, if you can't afford the luxury of a few rims, you probably can't afford the car you're in to begin with. it's like going out to dinner and tipping poorly.
    That's such a ridiculously asinine thing to say.

After trashing my 20" stormers/OE Contis on a very tame offroad venture, I've just kept them in the garage as my offroad setup. I swap them out with my street wheels before offroad trips.

I'm interested to hear some feedback about this new tire. If anyone gets them on a 20" wheel and hits the dirt, make sure to write a review!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I agree Drevs.

I think jwest has the case of the "im rich and your poor" syndrome. Its funny because Im really a nice guy, i just really hate it when people like jwest make rude idiotic comments. Just like that other guy who asked why someone would buy a RRS over a full size (might be the same person actually).

But anyway, drevs, im planning to get these tires in the next 3 weeks, so i'll post picts and review asap.
    RRS HSE Bonatti Grey

FRESHMAN ROVER
    so after hearing from more than a few people that the a 285/50/20 would not fit the Sport. I decided to go with the new Cooper tires 275/45/20 since there should be almost no difernce with this size to the original 20's set up that came with from the dealer.
    i will be using this set up as my main summer tires to and from work (about 100 milles a day)
    driving on the beach, camping, and a dirt trail from time to time, so hopefully the 45 profile will be suffecient for my use.
    when i recieve the tire's in on Monday or Tuesday i will take a few pictures. and make sure i test them out on the beach or somewhere very soon.
    i will give a full review once i have some feedback.
    (hopefully these tires are good).

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by frinsan
    I agree Drevs.

I think jwest has the case of the "im rich and your poor" syndrome. Its funny because Im really a nice guy, i just really hate it when people like jwest make rude idiotic comments. Just like that other guy who asked why someone would buy a RRS over a full size (might be the same person actually).

But anyway, drevs, im planning to get these tires in the next 3 weeks, so i'll post picts and review asap.
    you guys missed my point in that i really think you can get extra rims cheaply which then makes life simpler for really using your vehicle the way you, and i, dreamed of in the first place. nicely set up with great gripping summer tires and the other rims with at's for fun weekends seeing how cool the air supsension is getting you to pretty and remote locations.
    it isn't a rich or poor thing at all, i did the road/offroad rims/tires thing with my 1996 discovery that i bought used and put 200,000 miles on before getting anything new.

sorry about the "tipping" comment, i just felt like if someone is interested in offroading, it's a worthwhile thing to invest in some ebay or aftermarket rims for a thousand or two.
    2008 BMW 535xi MT6
    2008 Audi S4 Avant MT6

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frinsan
    Awesome - I'm definitely interested. Those stock Contis aren't so hot off road - I'm already missing big chunks of sidewall.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now