Took delivery RRS supercharged 1st edition !!!
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Took delivery RRS supercharged 1st edition !!!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Took delivery RRS supercharged 1st edition !!!

After the car went through the PDI at the authorized dealer, yesterday at about 5pm at I took delivery of my RRS supercharged 1st edition, java black/ebony. I traded in my '04 RR Vogue. I'll give an brief overview of my first hours of possession.
    Exterior.
    The Java Black looks very nice when new and surely I will have to be more diligent in cleaning this car than my previous bonati grey RR. Comparing the cars side by side, you can definitely see the difference in height and length, where the RRS is more sleeker and more of a driver's car, where the RR seems more subtle yet very elegant. BTW my wife joked with me that that the RRS looks more like the previous RR !!. What I will miss from the RR is the LED brake lights which unfortunately RRS does without. also the sunroof is also gone. I was told that all 1st editions do not have sunroofs. The car came with the 20 inch stormer wheels which IMHO are the best wheels on a RR that I have ever seen, they are silver polished but not to shiny. The car when in access mode is VERY low and I doubt I will be using it much, compared to when I had the RR where I always used the access mode. ( I have two boys age 5 and 7). I still have mixed feelings about the split tailgate rather than the two door design in the RR which was the same design as my X5 before the RR. And yes you had to give it a nice slam to have it closed. It doesn't have the soft close feature you find in the Cayenne or Touareg.
    Interior.
    Sitting in the drivers seat has a totally different feel from the RR. You sit more snugly and the cockpit seems to surround you its like sitting in a fighter jet cockpit !!, compared to in the RR where its like taking a seat in a luxurious 5 star hotel room. In terms of elegance the RR wins hands down, but I am not complaining about the RRS, as its ambience is pure sport. the center dash is up high and the gear shift is offset to the driver. The Sport seats are excellent and I almost don't miss my comfort seats in the RR, unfortunately the lumber support adjustment is manual also goes the same with the headrest adjustment. What I miss is the "waterfall" lighting in the RR which make the cabin very elegant at night, also the leather covered grab handles in the RR are also a nice touch. There are various compartments in the car and the cool box is an nice touch. BTW I am still using my RR mats until I find a way to source the RRS mats and loadspace mat, although not perfect they seem to fit nicely.
    First Drive
    Turning the key the engine starts immediately and is very smooth that you almost don't hear it, I was expecting a nice growl a.k.a. AMG E55 or Porsche Cayenne but no, its just nice and smooth. Backing up the car both side mirrors dip down so you can see the curb or anything that might be a hazard to the stormer wheels. In the RR only the passenger's side dipped down. Unfortunately it was rush hour so I couldn't really feel the potential of the 390hp engine, but I had a couple of changes to rev up the engine and it produced a very nice growl in addition to the supercharger whine !! As I am still running-in the car, no full throttle for now. The ride is definitely more firm than the RR and it does not sway as much, the RR is a very relaxed cruiser but when pushed hard you notice that it sways a bit. The RRS is a different beast where its handling is taut, firm and the steering is very responsive, I had a chance to take a few quick turns, and it corners flat like a sports sedan. The ride with the 20 inch wheel are a bit hard and you can hear the thump of the tires on uneven surfaces. I guess this is due to the 40 series tires compared to the 50 series tires on the RR which also had 20 inch wheels. A nice touch is the additional corner lighting so you can see if there any hazard to your side. The bi-xenons are super bright but they seem to vibrate a bit over bad surfaces. This was not the case in my RR. Overall I am very impressed with the RRS and made no regrets switching from the RR. Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to post pictures yet but will do so in a couple of days !
    '05 RR Sport supercharged
    '05 VW Touareg R5 TDI
    '04 Toyota Harrier a.k.a Lexus RX
    '04 RR Vogue (sold)
    '02 C32 AMG (sold)
    Jakarta, Indonesia

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    Now go and drive the living daylights out of it and enjoy it! I'm loving the extra perfromance the TDv6 has over the TD6 RR that I owned up to last week. One week on and I have done 600 miles!
    Fuji White Evoque SD4 Coupe Dynamic Lux auto with Plus Pack, heated steering wheel, privacy and tow pack - now on my drive
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 Vogue Range Rover with Ivory interior and a few extras - Gone
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 HSE - Gone

FRESHMAN ROVER
    My handbook didn't arrive with the car, it should come in within a few days, but what I am concerned with is the spare tire, I haven't really checked it out and don't know yet how to lower the thing. Its placed under the car unlike the previous RR that I had. Any insights on this would be helpful. also how long is the running in period ? can't wait to try those 390 horses !!
    '05 VW Touareg R5 TDI
    '04 RR Vogue (sold)
    '02 C32 AMG (sold)
    Jakarta, Indonesia

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Nice write up, thanks. Great to hear about it.

I'd also like to know what the running in period is, I am guessing it will be around 1200-1500 miles. Does anyone know if this car requires a post run in service like my M5 did?

What are the Brembo brakes like?

Is the Logic 7 stereo as good as they say?

Do you have a phone cradle for the phone prep system and have you used it? Is it good?

Have you tried out the ADC? I'm dying to know how that works in real life.

Funny you should mention the rubber mats, I plan to get a set with my car, but I have a set of L322 ones in my loft, like new, bought them for a car I never bought! I must sell them...
    2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 : Stornoway/Jet, RSE DVD, Hybrid TV, Privacy Glass

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    1st RR, I'll scan and email the wheel changing pages from the manual for you tomorrow.

RRUK - hold onto those mats, they might just fit your supercharged.... the set of rubber mats that came with mine look very similar to the set that went with the TD6.
    Will also let you know what running is required, but usually all it says in LR manuals is not to let the engine labour in high gears for the 1st 1000 miles. The top two cogs are very high gears and the Adaptive Gearbox seems to change up to them as soon as it can and then it holds and holds and holds! In theory being an automatic it shouldn't allow itself to work hard at low revs in high gears! I asked the dealer if it was OK to tow my Defender with the Sport from Stirling up to Laggan and the reply was Yes, it's an automatic with an oil cooler and your Defender and trailer are within the designed towing limits! I was wooried it might make a new engine work too hard. As it was the sport didn't arrive in time and I drove the distance in the Defender, which coped very well, even if it was a little uncomfortable.
    Fuji White Evoque SD4 Coupe Dynamic Lux auto with Plus Pack, heated steering wheel, privacy and tow pack - now on my drive
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 Vogue Range Rover with Ivory interior and a few extras - Gone

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The mats seem to fit, but you can tell that its not made for the car, temporarily it would be fine, but I rather get RRS mats. The loadspace mat from the RR is way to big, again I'll wait for the RRS mats.
    '05 VW Touareg R5 TDI
    '04 RR Vogue (sold)
    '02 C32 AMG (sold)
    Jakarta, Indonesia

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Tim, I just went through the scanned pages and found out in order to jack up the vehicle it should be in off-road height. Isn't that strange, in my RR I often jacked the car while in access mode.
    '05 VW Touareg R5 TDI
    '04 RR Vogue (sold)
    '02 C32 AMG (sold)
    Jakarta, Indonesia

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stRRS
    Tim, I just went through the scanned pages and found out in order to jack up the vehicle it should be in off-road height. Isn't that strange, in my RR I often jacked the car while in access mode.
    Wow, we must have good roads round here then, in 12 years of Landy ownership I have only had 2 flats, and both were on a V8ESi S1 Disco and I called out the roadside assistance as I could not get the wheel off the hub.

I would imagine that you have to have the suspension pumped up to offroad height so that the air suspension is stretched and cannot drop down further once you have jacked it up and taken the wheel off............ you must have been lucky that it didn't do that. I haven't looked in the manual yet, but I assume that you still have to engage Low ratio 1st and put the wedge under the diagonally opposite wheel............
    Amazes me how many Defender owners don't use the wedge or engage Dif Locked Low 1st to change a wheel.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Actually I've only had one flat in during the ownership of my RR and it happened in my driveway. Other occasions is where I swapped the spare back after being fixed by the tire shop.
    '05 VW Touareg R5 TDI
    '04 RR Vogue (sold)
    '02 C32 AMG (sold)
    Jakarta, Indonesia

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now