RRS / LR3 Audio Connectivity Module Available - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RRS / LR3 Audio Connectivity Module Available

Some nice chap in the UK who self installed the ACM yesterday was kind enough to scan and post the module's user manual and installation instructions. These obviously apply to RH drive cars and appear to be Disco3/LR3 specific, there are no images / drawings of a Sport dashboard that I can see. Maybe there are two separate installation manuals included with the module...

I am starting to see why you'd want to install the iPod within eyesight, on the dash or by the steering wheel. There are no track names, artist names, etc., displayed on the radio LCD, no info at all from the iPod is displayed there actually, so you would have to rely on the iPod screen if you were looking for a certain track or artist. Controls look fairly rudimentary, too. The other jacks (USB, RCA) install in the glovebox. Also, the module apparently shares the AUX output... Which makes me wonder if the "low volume" issue we are experiencing through the current AUX jack may still be an issue with this module.

User Manual scan (pdf)
    Installation Instructions scan (pdf)
    Photos of the self install

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER
    My friend says the volume is better. I would hope so. This solution is a little more invasive & costly than an iPod line-out cable.

SENIOR ROVER
    it seems like there are better solutions out there. Like the harmon kardon thing, I was excited at first but this just seems pointless now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Niello LR now lists it online at a decent price: http://landrover.niello.com/accessories ... ategory=61

FRESHMAN ROVER
    So does anybody here have this yet? I have two questions:

1. Can the iPod go in the glove vs. mounted on the dash?
    2. When I turn the engine/electricity off in the car, does the iPod automatically pause and/or power off?
    2006 RRS Supercharged Black/Black
    2003 530i Silver/Grey

1) You can ask the dealer to install the dock somewhere else I'm sure (or DIY), but since there is no way of telling which track / playlist and so on you are choosing with the steering wheel controls without looking at the iPod screen, you may regret not having it in sight.

2) Yes. The user manual says that whenever the iPod or USB device is removed and/or the ignition is turned off, the current playback position is saved.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Okay, I ordered it. I don't really care about not seeing the playlist and song info. It's my iPod so I figure I should know what's on it. I actually have a similar setup right now with my iPod in the center console and an RF remove velcro'd behind the steering wheel. But this is a cleaner solution with the real steering wheel controls (and a few extra features). Plus, I won't have to manually turn off my iPod every time (if I don't do that now, it will keep playing until the battery dies).
    2006 RRS Supercharged Black/Black
    2003 530i Silver/Grey

Premium Member
    thanks for taking the leap Motaki. we're expecting a full report with pics nah seriously, let us know the good, bad & ugly when you get it installed.
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

Mine is being installed next week during my (sniff sniff) last warranty visit at 45K miles...

so what ever happened to some pics?

'06 Java Black on Black FFRR SC
    '06 Cairns RRS HSE Lux (sold)
    '94 D90
    '94 RRC LWB

Not much to see, really... The volume level of the iPod is still substantially lower than the rest of the system, better than the connection I used to have in the past (cheapo wire between the iPod headphones out and AUX in jacks), but still nowhere near the level of CD, radio, sat, etc. So, you will still get startled - to say the least - if the navigation is blaring instructions while you are listening to your iPod at high volume - which is the only way you are going to wanna hear it if you are like me... Also, as you can see the installation is far from elegant or inconspicuous. If I forget my iPod on the cradle, it is only a matter of time before someone smashes the window to grab it. But at least the iPod is there and having some basic controls at your fingertips on the steering wheel is definitely nice, and worth the $500 bucks or so the module cost (with installation done by the dealer), at least to me.

Sorry about the bad quality pictures, don't have my trusty Canon and had to use the sucky one I keep at the office. Going to the gas station next.

Thanks Umbertob. Was it not possible for them to install in the glove compartment or somewhere in the central console?

'06 Java Black on Black FFRR SC
    '06 Cairns RRS HSE Lux (sold)
    '94 D90
    '94 RRC LWB

Quote Originally Posted by drdread
    Thanks Umbertob. Was it not possible for them to install in the glove compartment or somewhere in the central console?
    Sure, but since there is no visual feeback on radio LCD or nav monitor of what is playing on the iPod, such as track name, playlist, etc., I want to be able to see the screen of the iPod, so I went with the "default" installation (which, as I suspected, is not possible above the ignition. There isn't enough room there, unless you are in a RH drive country such as the UK.) I thought of getting some sort of aftermarket base for the cradle to move it somewhere else near the front console, where I will still be able to see the iPod (like the one below, for example), but I can always do that later I guess.

JUNIOR ROVER
    Isn't the whole reason to get the connection kit so that you can plug your iPod in and control it from the radio? In which case you can just leave it in the glove box, right?
    2008 Range Rover Supercharged Stornoway/Sand DVD
    http://www.uh.edu/learningleading/images/468_uofh1.gif

Premium Member
    it sounds like you can have them install it in the glove box so you can eave it in there, but just realize that no song/playlist information is sent to the radio display.
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now