Would you / Do you venture off-road with 21" or 22" wheels?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you / Do you venture off-road with 21" or 22" wheels?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Would you / Do you venture off-road with 21" or 22" wheels?

Or maybe the better question is what is the minimum sidewall you would feel comfortable with taking your RR off-road?

I see 45mm sidewall with 21" rim options, and 40mm sidewall with 22" rim option. I'm trying to determine what I want to order, and while the bigger wheels look better, am I going to wreck them if I take the RR off-road? Not talking about rock climing, but rutted, bumpy, rocky trails sort-of-thing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Would you / Do you venture off-road with 21" or 21" wheels?

More importanly, are you going to outfit your oversized rims with proper tyres or depend on your mall tyres for off roading?
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    More importanly, are you going to outfit your oversized rims with proper tyres or depend on your mall tyres for off roading?
    Mall tires? Meaning, OEM tires?

I'd probably opt for an all-season option. My concern, though, is mainly around wheel damage. I've never really taken a vehicle off-road, and wondering if there is a big difference between 40 and 45mm sidewalls.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post
    Mall tires? Meaning, OEM tires?

I'd probably opt for an all-season option. My concern, though, is mainly around wheel damage. I've never really taken a vehicle off-road, and wondering if there is a big difference between 40 and 45mm sidewalls.
    Neither of those sidewalls are suitable for offroading...now we should clarify what your definition of off roading is. If it's a mild gravel road...no problem. If you're tackling rock crawling trails...then stay away or carry at least 2 spares and an easy way to change them out, i.e. a good floor jack. If you're just going to mess around on some dirt roads and gravel...you're fine...but obviously watch for normal punctures.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01 View Post
    Neither of those sidewalls are suitable for offroading...now we should clarify what your definition of off roading is. If it's a mild gravel road...no problem. If you're tackling rock crawling trails...then stay away or carry at least 2 spares and an easy way to change them out, i.e. a good floor jack. If you're just going to mess around on some dirt roads and gravel...you're fine...but obviously watch for normal punctures.
    Definitely not rock crawling, but maybe not always as mild as mild gravel roads. At most, it would be a somewhat steep (20-30 degrees?), maybe rutted, rocky, bumps-and-bruises trail or road. Something that a 7-8in ground clearance should be fine with.

Thanks for the help!

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR Brimill1234's Avatar

Not too be OCD about it but your not referring to sidewall dimensions properly. 40 & 45 are not actual measurements they are percentages based on width.

Example :

A 275/45/22 tire
    275 is tread width in millimeters
    45 means 45% of tread width so 45% of 275 is 123.75 millimeters sidewall. That's one half or distance from rim to tread
    22 means rim size

So depending on tread width sidewall is the same if it's 275/45. Regardless of rim size. Rim size affects overall tire dimension of actual tire.
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

I wouldn't do it. Even on a gravel and mildly rutted road, flying stones will most likely damage the finish of your expensive alloys in no time. You will be pretty much unable to air down, which may compromise your grip on both soft/sandy and rocky terrains, and your comfort on high speed stretches of rutted or graded trails. And it'll be real easy to pinch and damage those skinny sidewalls and wheels on mild rock gardens such as those found on dry river beds and creeks, so common here in SoCal.

Premium Member

i would not. i would upgrade to at least 19s if you can so you have more tire choices.
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

45% of what width? Bigger than 20 inch rims it gets hard to find even a decent A/T tire. Really none for 19's...
    You shouldn't have to stop just because the pavement does!

2012 Evoque Pure Plus Coupe
    2009 LR2 HSE - traded
    2008 LR2 SE - traded

I'm becoming convinced that tires in general (16", 17", or any inch) just suck for offroading.

I think Mattracks are the way to go. Who cares if you look retarded, its all about getting there.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR Brimill1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey View Post

I think Mattracks are the way to go. Who cares if you look retarded, its all about getting there.
    Can we refrain from these types of comments and call this gentleman with the ford "special" or "capable". I would like to think we hold ourselves to a higher standard..
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

Ugh, jsut what we need. RRnet becoming the pinnacle in political correctness.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

Get a second set of 20" wheels. With the larger OE diameter, I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that you could fit 275/55-20's on there, and there is a plethora of AT's with very good on-road manners available in that size.

I run 275/45-20 AT's on my 2008 RRS to traverse around the family coastal cattle ranch, and they get me everywhere I want to go - including a 0.6 mile grass/gravel "road" that varies between 20 - 40 degrees. However, despite there being relatively few rocks on the dirt roads and fields, I have left a bit of wheel paint and metal on the rocks in the two creek crossings (as Umberto points out). This is never an issue with my wife's RR with 19" wheels - not a scratch on them after many, many creek crossings.
    2016 Suburban - Z71, Lux, Ent, Borla cat-back. 275/65-18 Nokian Rotiiva's AT's
    2017 Cayman 718 - Manual w/ 18" Boxster wheels
    2008 FFRR HSE - Conti AT's, Hawk LTS pads with EBC Ultimax\Stoptech slotted rotors
    2008 RRS S/C Black/Alpaca/Zebrano - gone
    2009 Cayenne GTS Manual -gone (GT3 of SUVs)
    2006 LR3 SE V8 Black/Black - Remember when leases were $535 a month with $0 down
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624134675338/

Quote Originally Posted by phil. View Post
    i would not. i would upgrade to at least 19s if you can so you have more tire choices.
    This. Then get the 255/55/19 Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Or upgrade more to 18s.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now