installing a new subwoofer (complete with photos) - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: installing a new subwoofer (complete with photos)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Hey Ryan great pics. Now the next one all you need to do is crawl in trunk and get a direct on pic lol
    You may have some room if you remove the panel on the passenger side rear, thats where i put the lc8 when i had it, i think theres a pic somewhere here. They amp may fit in there if its small but i forget. Or you can cut out a section of that styrafoam where the jack goes as long as it has space to cool. For those people who just want to remove and replace the sub its still not gonna sound that great unless you amplify it.
    While you have that off some dynamat may be useful on that back panel for better sound and less vibrations from that sub.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Are you installing line converter and amp in the empty "crawlspace" under the trunk floor behind the rear seats? Have you found a power supply for amp and converter over there? Sounds like a great mod, all made possible by that Pioneer subwoofer. You can find the sub for less than 100 bucks and the converter for around 120... But the amp is expensive.
    Yes I was thinking about installing in that space... not the space under the lid with all the empty slots for stuff, but the one between the rear seats and the floor lid. I haven't looked at the space yet, but was aware that it was there.
    I'm running a new power wire from the battery to the amp (you have to). I'll have to find a remote turn on. I haven't gotten that far yet.
    I got the Audio Control for $140 (shipping was $22!) and the sub... there is a regular pioneer and a pioneer premier version (not sure of the difference)... I got he Premier sub for $104. Both on ebay.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrac25
    Hey Ryan great pics. Now the next one all you need to do is crawl in trunk and get a direct on pic lol
    You may have some room if you remove the panel on the passenger side rear, thats where i put the lc8 when i had it, i think theres a pic somewhere here. They amp may fit in there if its small but i forget. Or you can cut out a section of that styrafoam where the jack goes as long as it has space to cool. For those people who just want to remove and replace the sub its still not gonna sound that great unless you amplify it.
    While you have that off some dynamat may be useful on that back panel for better sound and less vibrations from that sub.
    you should have seen me trying to take these pics. I was in my garage (obviously) so I was duking under the liftgate and looking up but couldn't get it all in the frame. Yea I saw the pics of your LC8... looked like it was mounted in the spot where the RSE goes... here it is as a matter of fact:

I doubt I put it there... for one my RSE module is mounted there, plus if I need to adjust it any then I'd have to take that whole panel off. I'll need somewhat easy access to both the amp and LC8. I'm planning on actually filling all those Styrofoam slots with the actual things that are suppose to fit there, so I don't want to take that space up with an amp.
    I will definately add some dynamat in the enclosure, outside the enclosure, and maybe on the back of the trim piece, maybe that will help keep a solid sound. I'm ready to get started on this... I still need to go get some power wire, ground wire, speaker wire, fuse block and connector.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    editing

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Umbertob,

You could just simply replace the sub if you wanted to right? I might be confused this is getting to technical for me

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Ryanoz,
    Is the last picture of the factory sub or is it the pioneer?

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack23
    Umbertob,
    You could just simply replace the sub if you wanted to right? I might be confused this is getting to technical for me.
    Is the last picture of the factory sub or is it the pioneer?
    Yes you can replace the sub, but if the subs nominal power is 250 watts (as is this pioneer)... then its not healthy for the amp to only power it with 50 watts (which is what the factory amp does). It may sound slightly better, but you risk speaker damage over long usage. It will sound much better when it is amplified with 250+ watts. Sorry, I know this was specificly directed to you umbertob

Last photo is the factory speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack23
    Umbertob,

You could just simply replace the sub if you wanted to right? I might be confused this is getting to technical for me
    Yes you could, but as mentioned above the improvement would likely be minimal considering the feeble wattage currently supplied by the factory amp to the stock sub. You really need to juice up that sub line to get the full benefit of a better speaker. You can always get the parts and bring them to your nearest car stereo shop for installation. It's probably child's play for them.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks that clears it up for me. How much would an appropriate amp cost and what would be an appropriate amp?

You'd need a mono amplifier (you only need to amplify the sub line) able to drive the sub with enough power, around 250W or so should do it... The JLs are good but expensive, Pioneer makes cheaper ones but still figure $200 or so. Then you need the AudioControl converter (to take the output from the subwoofer wires and convert it to a line/RCA out that you will feed to your new amplifier), another $120.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    So around $500 or more complete?

That sounds about right to me.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    yea, something like that.

Premium Member
    Cool project, thanks for the pics. Definitely keep us posted. I think a bunch of us would drop 5 bills to be able to play some NWA the way it was intended.
    Straight outta Compton *****es!

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevs
    ... play some NWA the way it was intended.
    Straight outta Compton *****es!
    ::shaking head:: j/k I'm with you, R.I.P easy-e! HAHA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now