Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video

Yes. via the dipstick pipe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM MODERATOR

This would be nice if it works on the 06, as taking off my underbody shield every time to do an oil change is the one step I hate to do...kindly let us know if it ultimately works?
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Something to keep in mind is that most dip stick tubes only go into the block far enough to hold them in place. These dip stick tubes don;t go all the way to the bottom of the sump thus don't allow for all of the oil to be extracted. Some pumps have a hose that can be snaked through the dip stick tube into the sump but are painfully slow due to their much smaller diameter.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I was going to suggest if the OP had already tried the smaller hose that comes with the Mityvac pump (a fitting / adapter for it is included), as I also believe the larger 3/8" pipe used for extraction on the 5-liter engine would be too large in diameter to make it through the dipstick tube of the older engines, all the way down to the bottom of the sump.

FRESHMAN ROVER

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/171321-did-oil-change-today.html

I
    did a oil change using the pump above,also used a steel strap type oil filter wrench. The 90mm-15F socket for the oil filter did not show up in time.Took all of 15 mins to do the change.

2011 RR 5.0L

FRESHMAN ROVER

I did try the smallest of the hoses that came with the Mityvac. I tried pushing it far down as I could - without using any excessive force. If there is a thinner, more flexible hose I'll try that also.

You still have to take the smaller shield off to get to the oil filter.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I like the idea but there will still be a bunch of junk in the pan that the pump is not getting out. Gravity is the only way to get that out.

Nice video umbertob. Never realized the suction method was way easier.
    Now i want a new LR.
    2018 Fuji SL & Xiaomi m365
    2017 Chevy Equinox
    2016 Yeti SB6
    2015 Airborne Seeker - Sold
    2012 Honda Civic - Black - Sold
    2006 RRS HSE - Grey
    1995 Toyota Tercel - Green (RIP) 2009 Honda Ruckus - Black (sold)

So I just got my MightyVac and anxious to get started but I thought I'd watch Umberto's Vid one last time...... I've seen this vid so many times but this time it sounds like Count Dracula is giving the tutorial. 4 hours of sleep does that to you.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

Hey Umberto,

I just did my second oil change and there is one thing I'd like to warn everyone about that is not in your DIY vid. The little metal tube that you stick the suction hose into seems quite delicate. When you stick the hose on it, yes it is a perfect snug fit but since the hose runs down the car and into the reservoir it puts a little bit of lateral pressure on the delicate metal tube. Over time the tube can crack rendering it useless. My remedy is to wedge in a bit of paper towel between the metal tube and the sides of the access port to keep it from being moved as the hose sucks the oil out.
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

FRESHMAN ROVER

Awesome video! Thank you for posting this.
    Purchased a 2011 CPO and do all my own work on our vehicles. I posted a question and joined a year ago making sure I could do my own work on these awesome vehicles. Our nearest dealer is 2 hours away!!
    Just confirming the LR4 engine and the RRS sport regarding the oil change are the same?
    Thanks to Canrover for the info on the tube.

Yup, same 5-liter V8 engine and lubrication specs for 2010+ RRS and LR4, up to MY2013 anyway (MY14+ LR4s are powered by a 6-cylinder Supercharged engine.)

Hey Umberto, since using the suction method have you done ANY under the car oil changes?

Heck no! In my case, I would also need to unbolt and remove a fairly bulky and heavy Asfir aftermarket skid plate to get to the drain plug, which would make an under-the-car oil change even more of a chore than the average.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Super video, thanks. Bought the MytiVac, used a 90mm wrench; 15 minutes start to finish including five minute warm up and one minute dump to a recycle container. One partly dirty paper towel.

Incredible. 9 liters out, nine (8.5 qts) back in Castrol Titanium. Not counting the one time cost of the pump and wrench -- $88 at Advanced Auto (Puralator filter).

Just saved my youngest son a few hunded changing his 2013 BMW v8. Getting my monies worth: oldest son's Highlander yesterday; maybe wife's Maxima (04) tomorrow via dipstick.

What a neat tool!
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now