Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video

Re: Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video

well, just found this on the castrol website. not sure if the dealer actually uses the preferred castrol edge professional 5w/20. but finally there is an alternative: castrol edge 5w/20 extended performance guaranteed up to 15k miles and available at your nearest walmart locations.

http://ew5.earlweb.com/recommendatio...e=18&brand=177
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/members/596-sblvro.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/doctorownedcarscom/217367714961131

011 RRS hse lux (traded),2013 RRS hse lux +silver, vision package(current),2009 escalade hybrid(traded) for 2015i escalade platinum,2014 glk 350 4matic(current)
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Looks like they just rebadged Edge with Titanium and called it Edge Extended Performance... Typical. Probably still doesn't meet WSS-M2C925-A specs, which is what Land Rover recommends for their 5-liter engine.

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob View Post
    I know an 88.4mm, 15-flute wrench is just a hair too small (I tried it), so if I had to guess I'd say 89mm may be the perfect size. Haven't tried it though - and don't even know.if such a size exists. The 90mm wrench definitely has got a tiny bit of play, but I never felt like I was going to round off the housing because of it. My guess is that yours must have been overtightened, big time.
    Bought an 89mm and it fits perfectly. Thanks for posting a great video.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Cool, thanks for confirming the 89mm 15-flute wrench is a better fit than the 90mm I used. Did another oil change over the weekend (37,500 miles already...), it literally took me a whole 10 minutes from beginning to end. It's almost too easy.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great video!!
    I thought about getting one of thesehttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-12...-Pump/16351022 but have not at this point.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I use a Klein strap wrench - it works great on all my vehicles!
    Never had a problem since switching from all kinds of contraptions.

Max
    09' RR Sport S/C
    00' Audi S4
    91' Blazer
    79' 911 SC
    72' Barracuda

I have two hang ups when it come to wrenching on my own cars. One, I have never done any of my own work so I know for a fact I don't have any experience. And two, from a lifetime of experience dealing with myself I know that I am short of patience.

I ultimately worry that my inexperience will frustrate me, cause a loss of patience, and an inevitable adult temper tantrum. Never a proud moment.

This video is idiot proof. Thanks for posting. And thanks to LR engineers for placing the oil filter in such an easy to reach location.
    2012 RRS HSE Lux / Santorini Black over Ivory / 20% Tint / Rhino Rails / 4350K Fogs / Cooper LTZ / WeatherTech / Resonator Delete

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne View Post
    I use a Klein strap wrench - it works great on all my vehicles!
    Never had a problem since switching from all kinds of contraptions.

Max
    I also have a strap wrench with a METAL cuff that I have used on all my cars but I have yet to do an oil change on the RR. Does anyone know if the metal cuff would be too hard on the plastic housing? I'm always gentle but all the filters I've ever worked on have been metal up to this point.

GREAT VIDEO UMBERTO!!!

For those of us in Canada, here are the links to the tools needed:

Mityvac 7201 - http://www.amazon.ca/Mityvac-7201-Fl...mightyvac+7201

89mm 15 flute oil wrench that Umbertob recommends after noting that 90mm has a lot of play: http://www.amazon.ca/89mm-Inside-Flu...9mm+oil+wrench
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil change (suction method) MY2010-13 - Video-image.jpg  

Banned

I'm confused and a little bit concerned. You say that the sump holds 8 quarts (which I work out to be 7.5 litres) but you only put 3 back in? Does this mean that you actually only removed less than half of the old oil? You also checked the level before starting the engine so the oil filter and housing will be empty and that holds another half litre which is why you should always fill with the correct amount of oil, run the engine for a few seconds, switch off and allow to stand and then top up to the correct level.

I'm all for making life easy but by sucking the oil out the top you aren't draining any sludge that may have started to build up in the sump (admittedly, using Mobil 1 you shouldn't get any but it all depends on how the car is used). If that is allowed to build up then it will clog the pickup strainer in the sump and lead to reduced oil flow. Exactly what happened on the older Saab 9-3 and 9-5 engines which caused Saab to have to offer an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty on engines and turbos and replace thousands free of charge that were affected. Me, I'll carry on doing it properly, there's a sump drain plug there for a reason.

It hold 8.8 litres as per the Amazon link I provided above. Good point about the sump though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertd View Post
    I'm confused and a little bit concerned. You say that the sump holds 8 quarts (which I work out to be 7.5 litres) but you only put 3 back in?
    Huh? I'd be concerned too if that was the case... But if you are talking about my video, it says clearly that approximately 8 quarts were vacuumed out by the pump and 8 went back in (the dry sump should hold 8 liters), I even took a shot of 8 empty Mobil 1 bottles to make sure I drove my point across! And yes, I did check the level before starting the engine to insure it was about right, but I also did say I would let the engine run a few minutes, shut it off, wait the required 15 minutes or so (Land Rover's electronic oil level gauge doesn't let you check oil level until approximately 15-20 minutes have passed since the engine was turned off - we all miss the good old dipstick, but what can you do?) and check the gauge one more time to make sure the level was still within the "OK" range. As far as sludge, no I am not overly concerned with synthetic. I am also willing to bet you that, within a relatively short number of years, Land Rover will eliminate the drain plug entirely. Jaguar already did AFAIK, and they use the same engines.
    Last edited by umbertob; April 8th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.

IMHO sludge should not be a problem so long as you change the oil two or three times a year depending on your driving habits. I only put a little over 10,000kms a year so I change mine every spring and fall.

This time around, I may just bite the bullet and let the dealer do it so they don't have an out in the event of another warranty issue.

Sorry to keep revivng this thread but I found this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fr...l#.VSw1AZPZ6PU

Has anyone ever used it?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Has anyone tried the suction method with an 06 HSE?

I have the same tools that umbertob suggested (modified for the 06 of course) and was only able to pump out 2L or so of oil. Taking a break before I go out and finish the old fashion way unless someone has some advice.

Thanks

No idea about the 06. Are you trying to extract the oil from the dipstick pipe?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now