those with nav-tv...
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: those with nav-tv...

SOPHOMORE ROVER

those with nav-tv...

I've read every nav-tv thread here, including those who have done the install themselves; none of which show the actual installation (just the pretty dvd picture on the nav screen).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

ryanoz, didn't ...ehm, you post a copy of the following Nat-TV installation instructions not long ago? Once you remove the front monitor and radio tuner you should find the factory optical plug and just follow the directions step-by-step, no?

It looks to me (just reading these instructions) like nothing should connect to the other side of that module, but I didn't install it myself so I cannot say for sure. Heaivilin may know, but I am not sure he hangs out here any more.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    yea I did post about it before.

I guess heavilin is the only one that knows, but
    he didnt share exactly how to install everything.
    For instance... WHERE DOES THE RCA CABLE
    FROM THE RSE BOX GO??

I dont know, I just dont want to send my RSE to nav-tv.
    I can't get any straight answers and I'm just repeating
    myself over and over here. So it looks like I'm just going
    to be out of luck. If I knew that all I needed was this
    nav-tv module, then I'd probably get it. Nav-Tv tells me
    its going to cost $2,100, hmm.. great. Usually when I spend
    this much money I'd like to know a little more than "we
    perform an acient chinese secret on your RSE box and you
    will magically have in-motion dvd". Screw all this crap, I'll
    just wait till someone else develops an easier/cheaper
    solution.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ryanoz
    I guess heavilin is the only one that knows, but
    he didnt share exactly how to install everything.
    For instance... WHERE DOES THE RCA CABLE
    FROM THE RSE BOX GO??
    AFAIK, it goes to the leaf green FAKRA SMB connector on the back of the front monitor. There should be 3 prongs there - 1 taken - of different colors, the leaf green one should be the input for the video/DVD feed from the RSE s-video out (or RCA out, if the box was modified by Nav-TV.) I believe the remaining prong may be for the so far unavailable backup camera...

Again, don't hold me to it. I didn't install anything in person, but I am going by my recollection of the various threads posted on this subject.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    That's also my recollection. However, where do I get an RCA to FAKRA/SMB cable? Nav-Tv doesn't know what I am talking about.

They should know very well what you are talking about, but their sales dept. has probably been instructed to feign ignorance, effective immediately... I guess whomever bought this cable from them for 50 bucks a while back just got lucky. The alternative is to have someone manufacture such a cable for you. Good luck with that.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Looks like a tiny picture of Nav-TV's hardware to me...

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    The infamous FAKRA/SMB leaf green connector behind the nav screen... WHAT KIND OF WIRE IS IT? Is it just 1 wire? Is it copper? Is it some fibre optic thing? If its copper, then why couldn't you just strip the headrest lcd cable under the seat, and splice a new wire from its video wire, cut off the FAKRA/SMB connecter and connect the new wire to it? Front nav would then show what the headrest monitor showed, no?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    It's coax. A conducting core surrounded by an insulating dielectric wrapped in shielding. I don't know the exact gauge (my guess is RG-178 or RG-179) or impedance (probably either 50 or 75 ohms). RG-178 is 50 ohms, RG-179 is 75. Just to be safe, if I was making this connector I'd go with RG-179.

I think it's important to note that there really are two things in play - the FAKRA connector and the SMB connector. The SMB connector is the actual termination to the cable run. The FAKRA connector is the 'key' for lack of a better word that then locks the SMB connector in place. You really don't even have to have the FAKRA connector - the connection will be successful without it, however you run the very real risk of the cable pulling out.

As far as I can tell the SMB plug you would want would be Amphenol part # 903-502P-71S, and the wire would be Belden 179DT. You could then solder the other end to a standard RCA plug.

Since its coax you could very well splice it like you are asking - although "splicing" coax typically involves using connectors (such as these SMB connectors). The only thing that would concern me here is that I don't know what signal strength is being output by the RSE box, and splicing it then cuts that in half. You could very well end up with an unacceptable signal level at the monitors.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; March 31st, 2018 at 08:44 PM.
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    cameronj obviously did his homework.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    cameron-
    yea, looks like you know your stuff about these cables. One thing I have noticed everywhere I have looked is that most all the SAT radio antennas connect with FAKRA/SMB. If you think you can actaully keep going with this and find or make a cable... I'll do what I can to help make that happen. I will be taking my nav screen out this weekend to see what everything actually looks like, I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; March 31st, 2018 at 08:45 PM.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I'm debating trying to make some of these - I actually don't have RSE currently, so this is more of a theoretical discussion for me. Eventually I'm going to get an Alpine Vehicle Hub to run a DVD player, XM, and my Ipod - so I'll need this whenever I decide to put all that in

However, I love to tinker - so I may be willing to make cables if people are interested. They won't be cheap - the cable itself is $2.68/foot. Total price would probably be around $50 each.

If enough people are interested - I'll order what I need and start making cables. I'll do it with no adapters, and S-Video cable on one end and the correct FAKRA/SMB cable on the other.

Before I order the supplies though - I'd like to get some information. First, can someone with RSE take a picture of the video out? I know everyone says it's S-Video, but I want to see it before I get started. Secondly, if anyone with the NAV-TV hookup can measure the outside circumference of the cable running to the front video display. If we can't get that - then the outside circumference of the cable running to one of the existing headrest displays would probably be fine.
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    count me in.

cameronj, it's not an actual s-video out - although the receptacle is configured as one - since it has both output and input (for a TV tuner) within its leads. See this attachment/diagram on the RSE config I posted a while back: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums ... ospecs.pdf (C2491 is the receptacle you are looking for on the diagram)

And this thread: https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9686

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now