those with nav-tv... - Page 6
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: those with nav-tv...

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Ok, so here it is:

Still a lot of unknowns here though. First... if the FAKRA connector
    is going to fit the input on the back of the Nav screen. I'm not ready
    to get behind the screen yet, until I can finish the entire nav-tv
    installation. I'm about 95% sure its going to connect though.
    Second, I haven't even checked to make sure the RSE modules
    video out actually outputs video, but everyone seems almost
    certain that it does. Last, if this cable adapter I just made will actually
    work and my soldering job holds up . So I guess that's it... its just
    a matter of hooking it up and seeing what happens. I'll test all this
    out when I start on the subwoofer upgrade. Once I have all the
    products and the time to devote to finishing it all at once, I don't want
    to be taking trim pieces on and off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Has anyone tried: http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm or http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ ?

I have called them and they said that both are out of stock but should be getting more soon for around $600...

Nonetheless, both are video-input ONLY... Audio is through an fm modulator! yuk!!!

Is anyone here a navtv dealer? I'm trying to talk to them about becoming a dealer for my area as I have an association with a large audio installer here, and the guy that supposedly represents them doesnt answer the phone nor have I ever seen ANY marketing of the product... I was wondering what the dealer pricing looks like, cause if it isnt significantly lower than MSRP, the products wont sell because of the import duties and all....
    Cheers,
    Roy Nasser

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    This info on the s-video out of the RSE box was posted recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by seseese
    For us North American RRSers:

1- If you have factory RSE with what appears to be an S-Video connector it's not wired as S-Vid. It's actually a composite video out at the pin level. True S-Video uses 2 signal pins & 2 ground pins for a total of 4 vs the 2 used on our RSE boxes.
    2- You can easily plug in to this port*, if you have it, and send video without amplification to the front screen.
    3- You must configure a cable to take the proper video output signals (Pins 3-4) to the FARKA connector up front.
    4- Adjust the brightness by using the factory adjustments provided on the SETTINGS/DISPLAY screen.
    5- To gain Video-In-Motion, buy the Nav-TV box: http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/show_products.a ... uct_id=185 Ya, that's the UK site but the NA guys will sell you the same thing.
    6- Do the full NAV-TV Hack if you want alternate video such as add-on rear camera or TV tuner.

*RSE Pins:

Pin No --- Description --- Input/Output
    1 TV tuner composite Input
    2 TV tuner GND (ground) Input
    3 DVD (digital versatile disc) /TV tuner composite output to TSD Output
    4 DVD (digital versatile disc) /TV tuner GND (ground) to TSD Output

Since I could find no magic connector I did the next best thing. I bought a 15' S-Video to RCA (Composite) connector ( http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7040 ) plus the Nav-TV Video in Motion box that comes with a short FARKA to RCA connector. Unscrew the connectors on the ends of the S-Vid to RCA cable. Wire it up properly with a soldering iron, Pin3 to the center of the RCA connector, Pin 4 to the outside. Clipe the 'bonus' wires and insure they do not have any path to the good wiring & you're all set. Rewiring, puilling apart the plastic bits on the passenger side door sills to run the cable, droping the glove box, undoing the front video screen, pretesting while everything is apart, then pulling the cable through and repackaging took about 2 hours to do cleanly. Now that I've done it I'm sure you could complete this in 30 minutes if you knew what you were doing.

Enjoy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Just wanted to keep this thread updated.
    I ordered the cable that seseese (that's a tough one to spell)
    linked to above. It will be here today.
    My brother's birthday is today so I don't know if I'll start on it
    today, but definitely in the next couple days.
    I have a small lcd tv that I'm going to use to test the video
    out from the RSE box, first. It seems we have conflicting results
    between seseese and doctorpatel:
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpatel
    ok, the s-video output works perfectly, i hooked it up to a tv and punched dvd on the touch screen. the dvd video showed up on the portable tv.
    Either way, I'll find out what works and what doesn't. If the svideo
    connector on the cable needs to be modified then I'll do that, hopefully it
    won't.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    So did it work? I'm ready to follow your lead but want to make sure you where successful before diving in.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Alright - I'm taking the plunge. Just received the CAN Bus Filter from NAV-TV. Their part number is VTC-RR and I paid $500 for it delivered. I also got the Terk SIR-SP which gives me two of the FAKRA connectors needed to plug into the back of the Navigation screen. I also got a female S-Video connector to solder onto the end of the 2 FAKRA connectors (I figure I may as well add the second connector now just in case I need it for the future and this way I won't have to pull the Nav screen out ever again. And finally, I have a 16' S-Video cable to run from the back of the RSE module to Nav screen.

Didn't get very far before I started running into trouble. Here's what I've done so far:

While attempting to solder the FAKRA connector to the female S-Video connector, I pulled the center conductor out of one of the FAKRA connectors while trying to strip the center conductor. The second FAKRA connector is attahced and good. Tomarrow I'm going to try to find another Terk SIR-SP so I can add the second FAKRA connector.

Went and pulled upper center console trim off so I could remove the Nav screen. Got the trim off no problem but what a pain in the ass to get the Nav screen out. I must be doing something wrong because I can't see how you can get the Nav screen in and out fo the dash without scrapping the crap out of the air vents on either side of the screen. I finally got it out but wow - it was a *****.

So now I needed to get to the connectors on the back of the radio. Rather than remove the radio (which is not as easy as you would think) I was able to just reach behind the radio and remove the wire plugs that I needed to get to in order to connect the Nav-TV VTC-RR.

Below is a picture of the instructions that came with the VTC-RR.

I'll hopefully have this all done and have my Rover back to normal by tomarrow night. Stay tunned.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Yea, sorry... I've just been swamped lately with the holidays and all.
    I plan to get it done soon. I still need to order the $500 in-motion module
    from NAV-TV though.

Quote Originally Posted by davidkaron
    While attempting to solder the FAKRA connector to the female S-Video connector, I pulled the center conductor out of one of the FAKRA connectors while trying to strip the center conductor.
    Yea, its a little tricky. I just used a razor blade.
    The second FAKRA connector is attahced and good. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find another Terk SIR-SP so I can add the second FAKRA connector.
    Is this just so you have an extra? You only need one.
    I must be doing something wrong because I can't see how you can get the Nav screen in and out fo the dash without scrapping the crap out of the air vents on either side of the screen. I finally got it out but wow - it was a *****.
    It shouldn't be that difficult to remove, you did remove the air vents right?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The one FAKRA connector is attahced and good. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find another Terk SIR-SP so I can add the second FAKRA connector.

Is this just so you have an extra? You only need one.
    Yes - I figure if I add another video source latter (back up camera, etc.) it will already be connected via the 2nd FAKRA in the back of the Nav screen. Is that not how it works?

I must be doing something wrong because I can't see how you can get the Nav screen in and out fo the dash without scrapping the crap out of the air vents on either side of the screen. I finally got it out but wow - it was a *****.

It shouldn't be that difficult to remove, you did remove the air vents right?
    That must be it - the air vents! I didn't remove them. I couldn't figure out how do you get them out. I see one screw at the bottom of each vent and removed it but they are still attached somehow. How do you remove the air vents?

-David

LEGACY VENDOR
    all this work to just watch video while im driving?
    Jeff Zylstra, Owner

David, that third input is useless without software telling the infotainment system to show on the monitor whatever video is being fed to it (such as the image from a backup cam, for example.) It's not going to hurt to have it prewired I guess, but just hooking up a video source won't make it work.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I see - well I guess since I'm back there already, I'll just hook it up anyway. Maybe it will prevent me from having to remove the nav screen agian for some future add on.

Do you happen to know what the s-video cable is for that is already plugged into the RSE module (the one I removed to plug in my S-video cable that will run to the back of the nav screen)? I don't seem to lose anyting when I disconnect it. I'm wondering if the factory s-video cable is already running up to the nav screen somwhere and just not connected? If so that would save me from having to run my cable assuming I could find the factory one up in the dash somewhere.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; March 31st, 2018 at 08:46 PM.

You wouldn't have an 07, would you? 2006s shouldn't have anything plugged in there. My understanding is that 2007s are already pre-wired to the front monitor, to allow viewing of DVDs while parked - finally enabling that feature that owners outside of North American enjoyed since the first day the Sport was sold (that cable was missing from RSE equipped US Sports in 2006.) So, in theory starting in 2007 the Nav-TV module would only be needed to watch video while moving, and you shouldn't have to mess with the Fakra inputs on the front monitor anymore...

JUNIOR ROVER
    If you have a late 2006, it's possible they already made the change... or it was a mistake in the factory. Those whacky Land Rover guys. For the units with that plug, I've never seen any 2006 with it used in North America.

Anyway... (Just being anal...) It's not a "S-Video" cable, and it's not technically a S-Video connector, since it's wired differently.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Interesting. Well my RRS is a 2006 SC and it had the S-video "type" cable connected to the RSE module in the back and nothing connected to the FAKRA connectors on the Nav screen. So I don't know where the other end of that S-Video "type" cable goes to but I couldn't find it.

So I finally got it all working, here is what I basically did:

1. Bought the $500 CAN Bus filter from NavTV
    2. Bought the $10 Terk SIR-SP splitter (in order to use the FAKRA connnector from it)
    3. Soldered the FAKRA connector onto a female S-Video jacks appropriate pins.
    4. Connected an S-Video cable from the RSE module in the back of the car to the Nav screen in the front of the car (using the adapter cable made in step #3)
    5. Plug everything in and voila - my DVDs now play on the Nav screen while in motion!

Total cost about $550 plus 3 days of labor! It's actually pretty easy to do. Now having done it once, I could probably bang it out in 2-3 hours. Maybe I should open a shop.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    i have the can bus filter for dvd viewing in motion but i still have to install it. is it easy to do that?
    where do u attach it to? i guess its somewhere behind the nav screen?
    06 cls55
    07 range rover sport s/c

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now