those with nav-tv... - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: those with nav-tv...

As grommet reported a while back (a loooong while back), the RRS/LR3 iPod integration Nav-TV is working on will supposedly emulate the interface of SDARS (sat radio) on our cars. Therefore, it should be controllable via steering wheel buttons - if they ever release it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Yeah that's right. I'm fishing, digging deep, but hey it may lead to something.
    So. Anybody know what these wires going from the touch screen to the navigation module are? I have highlighted them in the boxes below.
    Grommet? Any idea?

Also, I thought it was interesting how DVD video in-motion is achieved in the Lexus GX 470:
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthr ... ound+speed

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The GVIF are for video from the NAV unit to the touch screen (it's a Sony proprietary bus - Gigabit Video Interface) and the CAN are for the controller network to pass the touch screen signals back to the NAV unit.

Unfortunately I don't know anything other than that - I haven't pulled my screen out to look at them yet - and I can't tell what type of wire they are from the specification on the wiring diagram.

I'm hoping that my components arrive tomorrow so I can put a test cable together. My only challenge now is figuring out how to test it. I don't have RSE, so I was planning on making a cable with an RCA end and plugging another source in. According to the rrsport.co.uk post referenced earlier, you should be able to view video by going into the diagnostic menu. Unfortunately, when I go into the diagnostic menu I don't get any sort of video option. I'm hoping that that would be enabled when something is plugged into the TSD, but that would really surprise me.
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I really think there is a way to enable video in motion without anything from nav-tv. Somehow the emergency brake is wired to either the RSES or the touchscreen, if we grounded this wire it would simulate that the emergency brake was engaged.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    best price I can get on the OPV-1R is 1,350.
    I can't justify this price just to enable video
    on the front screen.

Yep, that's what I said too, about two weeks before handing over my $1550 check to the local installer.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanoz
    best price I can get on the OPV-1R is 1,350.
    I can't justify this price just to enable video
    on the front screen.
    Patience, patience.

I just found 100' of RG179 locally - and I'm expecting connectors tomorrow or Thursday.

Give me a few days to get a couple wired up and tested and we'll see where that puts us.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronj
    I just found 100' of RG179 locally - and I'm expecting connectors tomorrow or Thursday.

Give me a few days to get a couple wired up and tested and we'll see where that puts us.
    I'm with ya. I'm not giving up on this. My connectors should be in at the end of the week. I never actually connected anything to the s-video out on my RSES, i'm just assuming it outputs the dvd video based on someone elses experiements on this forum. I didn't have any kind of tv or anything to test it out.

Did you ever find out if your sat antenna cable was RG179?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanoz
    Did you ever find out if your sat antenna cable was RG179?
    It's something different - probably only 50 ohms. I decided to just grab the cable locally - it was significantly cheaper than what I was looking at earlier (thank god for ebay).
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Do any of you guys have experience with the OPV-1R without RSE?

I wanted to know: my car doesnt have RSE or DVD right now, so I would add the navtv module to have video on my screen (nav screen - only one in the car), and with this I could watch tv even in motion on the front screen, using an external video source (such as external dvd player)...

what about sound though? Does the OPV have an audio input? How would I pass sound to the factory system? Is there an Aux-in somewhere that I am unaware of?

cheers
    Cheers,
    Roy Nasser

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Roy,
    I believe forum member "rrs" has the opv-1r installed without factory rear seat entertainment. I don't believe you will have touchscreen control of dvd functions without the RSE module. The opv-1r will just add the "tv" button to the touchscreen and once selected will display the dvd video. I'm pretty sure you will have to control dvd functions thru the aftermarket dvd player remote, but don't quote me.

The Nav-TV hack in the Sport (without RSES) adds a new AV input somewhere in your car - where is up to you or the installer - and allows you to hook up an external audio/video source of your choice by enabling a "simulated" TV tuner option in your system. Basically, a new button labeled "TV" will appear in your touchscreen's main menu after the hack. When you push that button, the system will switch to the AV input receptacle provided by Nav-TV as part of the hack (to which you can connect anything you want, such as a portable DVD player, a video iPod, a camcorder, even an actual TV tuner if you want), the LCD on the radio will say "TV" and video and audio from the source hooked up will play on your front monitor and through your car speakers, whether the car is stationary or not.

With the exception of the radio LCD - which you don't have in the FFRR - I believe the hack works the same way in the big Range. Of course, you would have to continue using the buttons or remote of the connected AV device to control anything but volume.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Why is nothing ever as easy as you initially think its going to be?

So I received everything yesterday to start making cables. Of course when I sat down to bang a few out, some problems arose.

First, the cable stripper that I have for normal RG-6 (normal cable) coaxial, while it claims it works for RG-179, doesn't. With larger coax, you can always brute force it (pull out the wire cutters and a razor) to strip what you need, but the RG-179 is so thin I couldn't. So now I have to find a different stripper.

Secondly, attaching the cable to the mini-DIN (s-video) connector is going to be a challenge. Not impossible, just a little bit of extra work. The difficulty is in affixing the shielding on the cable to the tiny little ground pin on the connector without touching it to the center conductor or the other pin. Not impossible mind you - but just need to work through the best way to do it while maintaining a secure connection that isn't going to come loose under a little stress.

I'll work on it some more this weekend.

BTW - I talked to NAV-TV, as the more I tinker the more I believe that for us non-RSE folks NAV-TV is the best solution. There are no dealers in Colorado, so they'll be more than happy to sell me the OPV-1LR for $1,400.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    the OPV-1LR is for another external video source for your front screen right?
    if u just want video in the front screen u can just buy the video in motion module and the smb-rca wire from them for much less
    06 cls55
    07 range rover sport s/c

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    the video in motion is the OPV-1R, its $1400 and nav-tv does not sell the smb/rca cable (not to me anyways).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now