those with nav-tv... - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: those with nav-tv...

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Theoretically you could just cut the wire and splice everything together.

I actually have a XM radio antenna from my old Disco that I'm going to use as my test bed. The fantastic thing is it looks like I can actually test it on my RRS, even without a NAV-TV mod according to Woodman's guide.

I'm ordering some of the parts right now - the mini-DIN connector (which is the S-Video side), the SMB connectors, and the FAKRA connectors. I'll wire these up using some my leftover XM antenna cable. If it works - then I can order everything else.

Then if this works I'll get started on video-in-motion
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    sounds good. here is heaivilin's self install.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... 39&start=0

for the 2nd input provided with the opv1r, i would rather Y off or tap one of the stock AV inputs behind the center console (there are 2) instead of having the input inside my fridge.

also, this may be worth noting. nav-tv change their hardware and software about as much as they change their prices. umbertob has to have one of his rear monitors on to source video and others don't. when i press the TV button, the video AND audio both come on. i dont need any sort of physical switch that heaivilin has included on his AC and AV input board inside his console.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    sounds good man. I just talked to a local car audio shop, he said he has some nav-tv contacts and is checking on a price for the OPV-1R.

Is the FAKRA part of the connecter the outside plastic shell?
    Cause I don't think you even need that. I think all you need
    is the one shown in my last post

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    i think you are right. someone correct me if im wrong but i think the color coding of the fakra's have more to do with what it is being used for in terms of identifying different components. did that make sense?

for example, how the green on the back of the nav is for tv (or dvd, can't remember) and how the brown is for reverse camera (still wishing for this).
    also, pti is a dark purple i think. but yes, im pretty sure you are correct in your assumption.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by rrs
    i think you are right. someone correct me if im wrong but i think the color coding of the fakra's have more to do with what it is being used for in terms of identifying different components. did that make sense?

for example, how the green on the back of the nav is for tv (or dvd, can't remember) and how the brown is for reverse camera (still wishing for this).
    also, pti is a dark purple i think. but yes, im pretty sure you are correct in your assumption.
    You don't actually need the FAKRA to make the connection. However, there's nothing keeping that connection together other than a little friction. The FAKRA actually gives you a mechanical 'click' that makes the connection secure.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    ok, yea I see what you mean. Its probably a good idea to just go ahead and run all 3 of these cables at once from the nav for future addons (ie rear camera, ect..)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanoz
    ok, yea I see what you mean. Its probably a good idea to just go ahead and run all 3 of these cables at once from the nav for future addons (ie rear camera, ect..)
    That's something else I've been thinking of as well. I need to spend some time over the weekend actually looking through the touch screen specs, wiring diagrams, etc. to figure out what else I might be able to run up there at the same time.

For those of us without RSE - I also have to figure out audio. I don't really want to go into the AUX audio jack, as I'm already using that (and getting ready to wire up a switch so I can switch between that jack and my hardwired XM radio). That's one of the other things NAV-TV gets you, a MOST interface box for audio. What I need to do is see how the add-on DVD player gets connected and build on that. Off to find that manual.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Question for anyone with the NAV-TV interface installed.

When you select the TV option and the DVD is playing on the front screen, does the audio automatically come out of the speakers? Or do you have to select something else? What's displayed on the head unit display?
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I think this might help explain your question about switching A/V between the two sources...
    Quote Originally Posted by heaivilin
    The NAV-TV unit will allow me to watch Video from the NAV screen from 2 separate Audio/Video sources. The Rear Seat Entertainment System being one, and the other of my choice. I also installed a switch for the 2nd Audio Video Source

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    how do you switch between RSE and AV2 input, is it via a hard toggle switch (perhaps the one I see inside the console above the AC outlet), or via a new touchscreen submenu? Also, do the car speakers play either sources when you switch between front monitor A/V inputs? I don't plan on playing videogames while driving, but would not mind using a portable DVD player in the future to playback a movie other than what my passengers in the back are enjoying one day, so may consider adding such an outlet myself, especially since it includes that AC outlet.
    It is both actually,
    There is a new (TV) Button via the Nav Menu that you must press via the touch screen to swith the Audio to the 2nd Audio source. And the button above the AC outlet switches the video to the 2nd Video source.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    This place sells the nav-tv OPV-1R:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Amps-and-Ohms-En ... dules.html

Its not listed online, but I emailed him. This was the response I got:
    I have it. If you need just the OPV-1R it is 1879 w/ shipping. If you need the OPV-1R & VFC-RR which is the rear seat entertainment combination it is 2699.99 w/ shipping
    I can get it for $1400 straight from nav-tv! nav-tv has got to be the most unorganized fly-by-the-night operation I have ever seen. If it wasn't for this forum and everyones trial and error, I wouldn't know what nav-tv's solution for the range rover was, how it worked, where to get it, how much it cost... and most these I still don't know exactly. You can literally call nav-tv, tell them you want to order the OPV-1R and they will tell you 1500, turn right back around and call again, and they will give you a totally different price! Then I hear that some people have gotten it for $600. My local car audio shop is suppose to give me a price on it Monday, i'm crossing my fingers for anything between $250 - $600.

FORUM MODERATOR
    Now we know precisely why they (Nav Tv) never came up with the supposed Ipod Integration module....still waiting in vain.

Just reading this thread makes my head spin...you've got an awful lot of patience to keep after it - kudos for your persistence.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    after following the link ryanoz provided, i found it was gnet. gnet are well known for literally ripping off nav-tv's technology, not to mention a few other companies. if you follow the link below, they claim to have a solution, albeit a totally different one that cuts the wire from the nav disc drive which requires a physical switch.

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-mode ... er%20Sport

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    Just reading this thread makes my head spin...you've got an awful lot of patience to keep after it - kudos for your persistence.
    thanks. Well, i'm close to getting this working. If I can make the cable, then all I'll need is the nav-tv opv-1r (at a reasonable price) and it should work (in theory)

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    Now we know precisely why they (Nav Tv) never came up with the supposed Ipod Integration module....still waiting in vain.
    What are you talking about, they're just 2 to 3 weeks away from launching it.

They must have hit a brick wall... A couple of months ago (when their MOST iPod kit for Porsche was released) the Range Rover integration was due "any day", last month it was "2 to 3 weeks away", but a couple of days ago they were "still working on it" according to e-mails received from their sales dept.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I used the dension icelink for ipod in my VW Touareg. I could control it thru the steering wheel or the radio. It worked thru the cd changer button, the 1-6 button was for playlist. I wish they had a solution for the range rover.
    My touareg ipod install... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2055748

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now