those with nav-tv... - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: those with nav-tv...

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Interesting - this actually makes building a single cable solution easier. To convert true S-Video to composite, I'd need to put a capacitor between Pin 3 and where you combine Pins 3 and 4. In this case it's just a straight shot without having to tie any of the pins together.

These shouldn't be any problem to build. I'm going to do a bit more research this morning and will probably order the supplies today.
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

God Speed, Cable Boy! We're all behind you!!!

Any clues as to why Nav-TV would modify this video out to a female RCA? That's one (perhaps the only) thing they do when you send the RSE module to them for the upgrade.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronj
    I'm debating trying to make some of these - I actually don't have RSE currently, so this is more of a theoretical discussion for me. Eventually I'm going to get an Alpine Vehicle Hub to run a DVD player, XM, and my Ipod - so I'll need this whenever I decide to put all that in
    I'm also considering the vehicle hub. Although you still need the Nav-TV OPV-1R (it would be the "thrid party interface" shown in the alpine vehicle hub wiring diagram).
    I'm all in for making the cables, sounds great! I will be emailing and calling nav-tv today to tell them what I need to order. Also, I already took pictures of my RSE s-video. I'll post those pictures as soon as I get the cable from the office for my camera to transfer them (in an hour or so).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    Any clues as to why Nav-TV would modify this video out to a female RCA? That's one (perhaps the only) thing they do when you send the RSE module to them for the upgrade.
    Not a clue. I'm even trying to make up a reason and I'm not having any success.

The one thing I do need someone to do before I order the cable (since its the most expensive part of this) is to measure the outside diameter on either the NAV-TV cable going into the back of the NAV screen or the cable going to one of the headrest monitors.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I suppose I need one of those ribbon-type tape measures to measure the cable
    I'm pretty sure my mom has one at her house (she lives right up the street, so I'll go get it and measure the headrest LCD cable, its the easiest one to get to). More to come...

I have a caliper I use for work... I'll try to get to the RSE module and measure that cable for you.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks - the most expensive part of this is going to be the cable. I found another place where I can get it for about $.70/foot - the only problem there is that the minimum is 500', where the other is 100'.

I'm going to post a poll to see how many people want this.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Ok, I don't think I have the ability to accurately measure the cable size. I used a ribbon tape measure and it seems to be about 1/2 in. circumference if that means anything. Here is a picture of the lcd cable if that helps any, along with the pictures of the RSE and s-video.

If you need bigger images, just let me know.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for the pics - that helped a lot.

I just realized that the cables from RSE module to the headrest screens isn't applicable. It carries a lot more than just the video (IR from the screens, power, etc.).

I'm probably going to wait until Monday to order the materials, as I want to get behind my screen and take a peek back there before I order - plus I want to give the poll a few days to pan out.
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I just talked to nav-tv, I was told that the OPV-1R by itself is $1,400!!
    I got the guys email, and sent him a picture of the OPV-1R and the other
    picture with the cable we need and said all I need is the OPV-1R and that cable. I'm waiting to hear back. But 1400! I don't know how these other guys supposedly got it for $600. Even if we successfully make a cable, its still going to cost us $1,400, this is nuts!! I think they just make up prices each time someone calls because they know there are no other solutions. "Oh, the opv-1r? Yea, that will run you $6,595.00"

Not surprising. I think heaivilin spent close to $2500 for the whole enchilada (including the additional AV input interface and receptacle / switch), and had to do the install on his own. That's the MSRP, I believe. Dealers probably pay 1/3 of that price or less, and have a lot more wiggle room... Suddenly $1.5K for a dealer install doesn't sound so bad, does it?

If you really wanted to, you could do worse: Click here

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertob
    If you really wanted to, you could do worse: Click here
    Hmm... good find. Of course the price is insane! Yep, that's everything I need. Good shot of the infamous cable as well (well, not that great but better than the other one). I guess my last resort is to find the nearest local dealer and see what price they can get everything for.

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    the thing is, most of the time the geniuses working there think they are talking to a dealer/installer. that is why this happens. $600 is the wholesale price, or so it seems. like you said, it changes.
    but to keep the cable construction going, below is the link to woodmans guide so you could at least see what the back of the nav screen looks like.
    woodman didn't tap the rse, he tapped the overhead dvd but it's in the same ballpark of mods.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic475.html

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    yea. Cameron, there is a nice shot of the green connector on the back of the nav unit in woodmans pdf.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    It looks to me like this is what the end of the Nav-TV cable looks like...

and it would go in here:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now