southern cali off roading (light) ? - Page 5
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: southern cali off roading (light) ?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreat ... riel.shtml

Directions: Exit the 210 Fwy at Azusa Rd / Hwy 39. Go north through the city of Azusa and continue toward the mountains about 12 miles to the OHV area entrance. I can be there at any time after 8, but since Antics is a newlywed and still gets his breakfast in bed on Sunday, I suggest we meet at 10 by the park entrance gate. Don't forget we fall back 1 hour on Sunday morning, so it's going to be like meeting at 11!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Well, I'm ready... I hate changing wheels (and removing side steps). Who is coming tomorrow? 10 am still OK?

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I will see you there at 10am Umberto.

Do you know what youre doing? I hope so because I dont want to get stuck in a ditch somewhere...

Frinsan and Bigmboy... can you both confirm?

we will be meeting at 10am at the entrance.

PS. I am bringing the wifey.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    2006 RRS Java Black/Ebony, Lux Pkg, locking Diff, Sat radio, PTI, Climate Pkg.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM MODERATOR
    You guys will have lots of fun...it's like point and shoot...just use the terrain response system as appropriate, put it in low gear where necessary and remember the famous Land Rover phrase:

As fast as necessary, as slow as possible...

Try not to throw any big boulders around to avoid breaking any brake lines or bending anything underneath...but it sounds like you'll be doing some fairly easy stuff...

Hope you know how to change a tire in case of a flat, particularly for those going with 20's...just in case...ha ha. Since you're not taking a lot of stuff with you, and you probably don't have a hi-lift jack, at least take a relatively easy to operate floor jack in the back (strap it down of course so it doesn't fly around).

Pictures - especially when in compromising positions ( car related of course!).

Today was fun...took the wife out to learn to drive in the deep mud...after the torrential rains we have had here in Houston, lots of great places to slip and slide...she had a grin from ear to ear!

P.S. Nice tires and rims Umberto...glad you have crossed over to the "dark side"!
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by antics22
    Do you know what youre doing?
    No... I thought you were the one who knew what he was doing?

C'mon, let's just go... We will have a blast. I will bring with me a high-speed 12-volt compressor, just in case we need to air down, so we can re-inflate before leaving the place. Apparently the park has lots of hard-core offroaders hanging out and just waiting for someone to get stuck, so they can lend a hand if someone really gets in trouble, which I very much doubt. Also considering there are 20"ers with us, we are definitely staying off the more challenging stuff.

BYOD, as apparently the closest watering hole is about 8 miles from the entrance (but no alcohol is allowed.) See you tomorrow, glad your wife can make it. To bring mine means I would have to bring my 2-yr old daughter, too... And trust me, we don't want her around. It's apparently going to be another trademark So Cal day, warm and sunny. Should be fun.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    see you there tomorrow at 10am! this confirms my attendance =) hehe.. i'm excited. Hopefully i don't end up with a flat!

nice 18"s umber, look awesome!

see you guys tomorrow morn. I guess i'll just look for a group of range rover sports muhahaha
    RRS HSE Bonatti Grey

FRESHMAN ROVER
    hey I'm coming, and yes i'm on 20's i'm still searching for a set of 18's so if anyone knows of any PM me or email me. It looks as though its about 30 miles from downtown LA does that sound right?

Premium Member
    aw dang. you mean to tell me that i'm missing this by a day and DIG by two days. that's some really crappy planning on my part. well have fun everyone. i didn't really pay attention to this thread b/c of the southern calif locale, but had i known, i woulda tried to fit in one if not both events in with the entire fam. i expect a lot of pics early next week.

p.s. if you see a dirty rrs near disneyland next week that looks like it's been on hwy 5 for hours on end w/ lots of bugs on it - that's me. say hi!
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by thebigmboy
    It looks as though its about 30 miles from downtown LA does that sound right?
    That sounds about right, perhaps a few more considering it's 12 miles off the 210. See you in the morning, and don't forget to turn your clocks back one hour when you get up, or you'll be waiting a long time by that gate!

That was a lot of fun, even though I have taken 3 showers and I still feel all yucky, not to mention my car interior, I think I will find dust till Christmas in nooks and crannies... Next time, remind me to close all windows before doing wheelies in this fine sand thingie. Although we didn't find anything too challenging, our cars managed to go anywhere we pointed them at without much struggling. Even thebigmboy had no trouble with his 20" in miles of sand (felt like baby powder), gravel, mud, and rock riverbeds. Only danger is getting overconfident, as it really feels like these cars are virtually unstoppable. Lots of admiring stares from just about anyone there, you don't see a Range Rover Sport getting dirty like this every day, but 3 of them! Anyway, thank you guys for a fun day, the perfect weather was a bonus.

Frinsan, we waited until 10:30am by the gate and then went in... Where were you?

Here are a few quick pictures I was able to download tonight... More to come, and our "Official" event photographer (Antics22) should have some real nice shots.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    oh my, looks like you guys had an AWESOME time... i missed out.. and i'm and idiot

sorry about that, i apologize, and thanks for waiting. I actually had too long of a night (halloween party) and ended up drinking way too much =( I woke up and was about to head out, but i figured it was too dangerous for me to drive even in the morning.

I apologize again guys, and sorry about making you guys wait. Glad you all had fun, and hopefully the next time you guys go, you'll give me another chance to actually show up...
    RRS HSE Bonatti Grey

Premium Member
    great pics. that's right, it's v. cool seeing 3 of 'em out getting dirty.
    2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White Defender 90 SW #317/500
    Northern CA Land Rover Club | Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I love the RangeRovers with 20" wheels in the same shot as the trucks with 35" tires!

Looks like someone took the water crossing a little fast though. While the tendency is always to accelerate going into the water to make sure you make it across, you run the risk of splashing water too high into your intakes. Although the intake position on the RRS should counteract that a bit. Also, in going in fast you run the risk of hitting something (rock, log, big hole, etc.) underwater at speed as opposed to nice and slow.

Only danger is getting overconfident, as it really feels like these cars are virtually unstoppable.
    That's always something to consider - I know I used to be able to get myself into some pretty hairy spots with the Disco - and it always seems like its much easier to get yourself into those spots than out of them.

Great shots - thanks for posting them and I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more.
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Actually I was going very slow through the water an there ended up being a deep part towards the end that I wasn't expecting. Thanks for organizing the event and sorry I had to cut out so early. I'll try and get my pictures up soon.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigmboy
    Actually I was going very slow through the water an there ended up being a deep part towards the end that I wasn't expecting. Thanks for organizing the event and sorry I had to cut out so early. I'll try and get my pictures up soon.
    You know - after I posted that I had that thought. You can actually tell you dropped in a bit looking at how high up the rear end is.
    '06 Rimini Red HSE - Lux, PTI, Sirius (with a bit of an XM hack)
    S/C Side Vents, S/C Grille, ACM
    '04 Disco II (Sold)
    '99 Disco II (Sold)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now