Range Rovers Forum banner

Electronic Rear Differential

33K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  SYV-08-RRS 
#1 ·
Electronic Rear Differential ?? is it equipted with diff lock? as i know it's an option right? so diff lock is electrical type in RRS, do any one know if it will become stardard for 2007 rrrs supercharged model?

See less See more
#28 ·
Don't forget Dom DeLuise of Burt Reynolds and Smokey and the Bandit Fame...there's another plump Italian for you...troppo gelato e pasta per lui.

Anyway...I think with the swimsuit models, who cares if you have a locking rear differential or not...you're going to pull over soon enough as it is to enjoy the ride, or as Jeffrey says...when things get slippery! :D :D :D

We're now almost on a par with our UK fellows, learning to derail a thread in minimal amount of time! Keep it up.

#30 ·
For just snow, Rear Diff Lock would help because it would limit wheel spin, but when there is ice, then the Rear diff lock comes into its own. Basically if you have one of your rear wheels on ice, the other wheel will get nearly 100% of power (wheel with traction) so it can propel the truck forward with authority; rather than, 0% of power to the wheel with traction without ETC, and perhaps 10 or 20% of power to the wheel with traction with ETC (that is after momentum loss). So if you have one side of the vehicle on ice (not that rare) then a non REDL vehicle may get 20 to 40% of power while wearing down brakes with ETC, while a REDL equipped vehicle would get almost 90 to 100% power down to the wheel with traction.

Said another way power flows to the wheels with least reistance without any traction adding devices. Its a worthwhile option in fact it would be the only way I'd go. If you dont have a truck with REDL an upgrade to grippier tires would provide a similar upgrade in traction.

#32 ·
if you're not gonna do any offroading, then i wouldn't bother. i didn't plan on doing any so i didn't get the option, but now part of me wishes i did. one LR guy told me unless you do some serious rock crawling, you won't really miss it. then again, is this the vehicle you'd be doing rock crawling in?

when we did the full day experience at the LR centre in carmel, ca, the RRS they gave us had a locking rear diff. the course was in line with the type of wheeling i do - dirt trails, a few ruts here and there, and some hills thrown in for good measure. i didn't really notice a difference.

can't say about the spare, but i think i'm one of the lucky ones with an HSE without rear locking diff and a full sized spare

#33 ·
sbkim said:
Just curious if people recommend getting the rear locking diff as an option? I won't be doing any off-roading.... Does it still come with full size spare?

Thank you
I agree with phil, don't bother if you aren't planning challenging off road trips. Regarding the spare, with or without rear lockers it won't make a difference (as illustrated above, the locking plates and electronics make very little difference in the overall dimensions of the rear differential.) All MY06s used to come with a full size 19" spare, but I understand that's no longer the case w/ MY07 and 08s.

#36 ·
Yeah, those posts are what raised my comment.
As I recall, lockers and frozen stuff don't play well together. Something about there not REALLY being any true traction in ice/snow (as opposed to solid surfaces like rocks) and locking an axle FORCES one wheel to slip when encountering different traction across the same axle... rather than a LS or open diff that allows both wheels to tract (not track) independantly.... or something like that.

#39 ·
ELECTRONIC LOCKING REAR - ADD-ON ??

I have an 08 RRS and I didn't get the electronic locking rear differential...stupidly. In the event that I would like the option, I contacted Land Rover who told me that an entire axle assembly would be needed and that it was "astronomically" expensive. Coming from Land Rover, that kinda scared me. Is this really necessary considering the wheel braking ? I don't intend to rock-crawl, but I do go up some fairly steep grades with loose dirt. Could an ARB be popped in there ?

#42 ·
Yeah, there is a (small) group of us that goes offroad regularly. I've been able to do every trail I've ever wanted w/o the locker. Anything more rugged and you're in 'body damage' land. I'm not that excited about beating up the truck that bad, so the open diffs don't affect me. If you want to do nastier stuff, you'd probably need the locker and likely suffer some damage.

If I could have the factory locker for $600, I'd probably say "sure" just for the hell of it... but it's not necessary for most moderate offroading. Hopefully some of the Sedona crew from this past weekend will be posting pics of the type of rock crawling you can do with open diffs.

#43 ·
That's good to know. I'll probably use the RRS for moderate four-wheeling and get a beater if I want to go hard-core. I remember tearing a fender off of my new Land Cruiser and that was a bit painful, but I think it was actually purring :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.