RRS Getting Messages: Transmission Fault + HDC System Fault + Suspension Lowering
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RRS Getting Messages: Transmission Fault + HDC System Fault + Suspension Lowering

FRESHMAN ROVER

RRS Getting Messages: Transmission Fault + HDC System Fault + Suspension Lowering

Took the 2008 RRS on a 180 mile round trip today with the family. (Only had the beast for about 3 months) About 2 miles from home I started receiving a trio of messages on the dashboard while city driving. Transmission Fault, HDC System Fault, and Suspension Lowering. RRS still drives great, no noticeable issues. Restarted the engine three different times at stops this evening and the codes would clear for a few minutes and then come back.

I searched a few forums and I can't find a definite answer, should I start with a battery replacement and if that doesn't work, move to the bigger issues? Anybody else receive this trio before?

Also note, the heat index was 106 today so I wonder if that was part of the issue.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: RRS Getting Messages: Transmission Fault + HDC System Fault + Suspension Lowering

My money is on a bad brake light switch, especially if these faults pop up shortly after you hit the brakes. If the engine starts and throws no faults right after cranking, I doubt the battery is your issue.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: RRS Getting Messages: Transmission Fault + HDC System Fault + Suspension Lowering

I just found your PDF within a response to a different question were the answer was the brake light switch. Thanks again for the quick response.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Purchased the brake light switch this morning and after about a 10 minute install, all warning lights and messages are gone. Thanks.

What's involved in changing out the break light switch?
    2011 L322 HSE Santorini Black / Tan
    2012 BMW X5M
    2007 Ferrari F430 Coupe. Nero Daytona over Charcoal Leather..under 8,000 miles
    2008 RR Sport.. sold

Anyone? Or should I ask is the switch located under the driver dash? And how is it identified? Is it simply a plug and play swap?
    2012 BMW X5M
    2008 RR Sport.. sold

Quote Originally Posted by 52tele View Post
    Anyone? Or should I ask is the switch located under the driver dash? And how is it identified? Is it simply a plug and play swap?
    Yes to all. This isn't the RRS but an older RR, but it will look something like this:

RRS Getting Messages: Transmission Fault + HDC System Fault + Suspension Lowering-lr005794-mc.jpg

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Thanks gooseyloosey . Looks like the switch may be pressure fit on one side, and electrically connected on the other..
    2012 BMW X5M
    2008 RR Sport.. sold

FYI - found this for my 06.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

Thanks for the detailed PDF on that.
    2012 BMW X5M
    2008 RR Sport.. sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

After replacing my air filter, I forgot to reconnect the MAF plug. That alone made my HDC, transmission, suspension, and parking brake fault out. Crazy cars!
    2008 RRS S/C Limted Edition

I have a 06 RR Sport and the same thing is happening. Transmission Fault, HDC System Fault + suspension lowering. It just so happens that I noticed the right tail light was out now and that is new. I wonder if it can be something as simple as the brake light switch. I'm hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by davisf1969 View Post
    I have a 06 RR Sport and the same thing is happening. Transmission Fault, HDC System Fault + suspension lowering. It just so happens that I noticed the right tail light was out now and that is new. I wonder if it can be something as simple as the brake light switch. I'm hopeful.
    Make sure you've replaced the brake bulb with the correct bulb first.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

So this problem described above "Transmission Fault, HDC System Fault + suspension lowering" can be the fact that a brake maintenance is needed? I am having the same problem, It just started yesterday on my 08' RRS. I know it needs a serve for the brakes so I am assuming this is the reason. Can Someone confirm? Could this really be a transmission fault as well?

Premium Member

No, brake pad wear will not cause this, unless something has gone horribly wrong and caused damage to a wheel speed sensor(not the brake wear sensor)

The most common failure that causes this is with the brake light switch, as described above, or the electrical circuit for it, emulating a switch failure due to the bulb back-feeding voltage through the switch(either incorrect bulb, or bad bulb ground in the socket, but both of these will only cause an issue when the lights are on)

Other issues can cause similar faults to be shown, such as locking rear differential motor failure, transfer case motor or ECU damage, and many other far less common problems.

Step one is to check the brake lights, make sure they're working, and not dimming when used with the taillights on and off, then simply due to price change out the brake switch, its cheap enough that a incorrect guess doesn't really hurt.
    Dave
    Land Rover Master Tech

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now