factory extended warranty? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: factory extended warranty?

Re: factory extended warranty?

My pre owned CPO expires February 2016.... Would anyone know if it is possible to get another LR warranty before this one runs out?
    "I know the voices aren't real but man do they ever come up with great ideas!" 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Santorini Black with ebony interior and Alcantera seats

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1 View Post
    Just to follow up with this thread, I was able to secure an LR extended warranty for a great deal. Thank you to everyone who commentated and PM'ed me from this thread. Bottom line, the dealerships all have wiggle room for the same official land rover warranty. I spoke with about 6 of them all over the US.

Also, just to clarify, Land Rover officially sells two types of warranties. A "new" and "pre-owned" warranty. If your vehicle is still under the factory warranty, you are qualified to purchase the "new" warranty which means an ADDITIONAL 6/7 years OR 75/100k miles depending on the plan. There is also a $0 deductible at LR dealerships and it is transferable, and refundable (prorated) if you sell the car later. This warranty needs to be purchased 30 days before the factory warranty expires (I had 4 days left).

The "pre-owned" warranty is if you buy a vehicle from a land rover dealership that is already out of warranty. It is the 1/2/3 year additional warranty they can sell you on top of the purchase price for the car. It is also much more expensive with fewer total miles allowed.

This does make me question the whole land rover CPO warranty thing. Dealers can CPO a vehicle and charge anywhere from $2-4k more than market value for it, and it just includes an additional 2 years of warranty. Alternatively, you can purchase a used vehicle still under warranty at/under market value, pay a similar amount for the extended warranty, and get an additional 6 years of warranty. Suffice to say, I'm all set till 2021!

Of course, you can just ignore this whole thread if you're one of those guys that doesn't believe in warranties
    I am glad everything worked out. Did you purchase up here? PM me the specifics. As you know, I have to do this shortly myself.
    2013 GT Limited

I was looking at quotes on USAA for warranties for an RRS 2011. I have noticed that regardless of trim level, once I put in 35K miles, their quote almost doubles and only gives me one option for a 4 year/48k package at over 8 grand! Any quotes below 35k miles and I have more packages to choose from at much lower prices.

Why is 35k miles the magic number? Do the other warranty companies quotes go up after 35k as well?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmahmoud View Post
    I was looking at quotes on USAA for warranties for an RRS 2011. I have noticed that regardless of trim level, once I put in 35K miles, their quote almost doubles and only gives me one option for a 4 year/48k package at over 8 grand! Any quotes below 35k miles and I have more packages to choose from at much lower prices.

Why is 35k miles the magic number? Do the other warranty companies quotes go up after 35k as well?
    My quote for a third party warranty through the dealership on MY2010 with 79,000 KILOMETERS came to 4,000 dollars CDN so yeah, whoever quoted you that is full of crap.

Just to follow up with this thread, I was able to secure an LR extended warranty for a great deal. Thank you to everyone who commentated and PM'ed me from this thread. Bottom line, the dealerships all have wiggle room for the same official land rover warranty. I spoke with about 6 of them all over the US.

Also, just to clarify, Land Rover officially sells two types of warranties. A "new" and "pre-owned" warranty. If your vehicle is still under the factory warranty, you are qualified to purchase the "new" warranty which means an ADDITIONAL 6/7 years OR 75/100k miles depending on the plan. There is also a $0 deductible at LR dealerships and it is transferable, and refundable (prorated) if you sell the car later. This warranty needs to be purchased 30 days before the factory warranty expires (I had 4 days left).

The "pre-owned" warranty is if you buy a vehicle from a land rover dealership that is already out of warranty. It is the 1/2/3 year additional warranty they can sell you on top of the purchase price for the car. It is also much more expensive with fewer total miles allowed.

This does make me question the whole land rover CPO warranty thing. Dealers can CPO a vehicle and charge anywhere from $2-4k more than market value for it, and it just includes an additional 2 years of warranty. Alternatively, you can purchase a used vehicle still under warranty at/under market value, pay a similar amount for the extended warranty, and get an additional 6 years of warranty. Suffice to say, I'm all set till 2021!

Of course, you can just ignore this whole thread if you're one of those guys that doesn't believe in warranties
    Any chance you would be willing to share the information on where you got the best deal on a factory warranty?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddykay24 View Post

I am glad everything worked out. Did you purchase up here? PM me the specifics. As you know, I have to do this shortly myself.
    Hey guys. The first Land Rover dealer I spoke to told me he could sell me the Land Rover product described a couple posts back, but that he couldn't go out to 10 years of total coverage. He could basically sell me 5 years of coverage from TODAY (effectively making my total coverage 7 yrs and 4 months from the day I purchased my car).

Anyone got a contact they'd recommend to me so I can expedite this process and find someone who can get me 10 total years of Land Rover's extended warranty plan? If so, please PM me. I'd really appreciate it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quick update for anyone in a boat similar to my own. Land Rover made some small revisions to their extended care plan that went into effect Nov 1. This is what I know:

1. Extended contract goes into effect the day you sign it. My car is 2.5 yrs old. If I get a 5 years of coverage today, my car is covered under warranty, more or less, until it is 7.5 years old. I say "more or less" because wear and tire items that I think are covered today likely won't be covered on years 5-7.5. Items like the rubber around the window seals, any adjustments to your panorama roof to keep it from creaking, etc. It appears this product that Land Rover offers is indeed a true extension of the original warranty, otherwise.
    2. Max added years you can buy is 5. It was 6 prior to Nov 1, 2015. So they recently made this change.
    3. 5 years is not available to you if your car has 30k miles on it when you sign the extended care contract. In the event you have 30k miles, I think max coverage avail is 4 added years. Not sure how many miles, didn't ask.

So I'm going to try to sign the contract say a month before my 4 year original warranty is up OR just before my vehicle hits 30k miles, whichever comes first.

May also make sense with folks to check in with Land Rover periodically, as well, to make sure the plan hasn't changed again.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by liontaki View Post
    Quick update for anyone in a boat similar to my own. Land Rover made some small revisions to their extended care plan that went into effect Nov 1. This is what I know:

1. Extended contract goes into effect the day you sign it. My car is 2.5 yrs old. If I get a 5 years of coverage today, my car is covered under warranty, more or less, until it is 7.5 years old. I say "more or less" because wear and tire items that I think are covered today likely won't be covered on years 5-7.5. Items like the rubber around the window seals, any adjustments to your panorama roof to keep it from creaking, etc. It appears this product that Land Rover offers is indeed a true extension of the original warranty, otherwise.
    2. Max added years you can buy is 5. It was 6 prior to Nov 1, 2015. So they recently made this change.
    3. 5 years is not available to you if your car has 30k miles on it when you sign the extended care contract. In the event you have 30k miles, I think max coverage avail is 4 added years. Not sure how many miles, didn't ask.

So I'm going to try to sign the contract say a month before my 4 year original warranty is up OR just before my vehicle hits 30k miles, whichever comes first.

May also make sense with folks to check in with Land Rover periodically, as well, to make sure the plan hasn't changed again.
    Thanks for the info. How about pricing?
    '13 RRS HSE LUX
    '95 RR 4.0se P38

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by rover7 View Post

Thanks for the info. How about pricing?
    5yrs from today pricing was very fair relative to the most relevant data point I'm personally privy to (a comparable Mercedes warranty product).

These changes are interesting. I bought my 6 year/100K mile "new warranty" while I still had about 5 months left on my factory warranty with 47K miles. It cost me $4K. The warranty has nearly paid for itself and still has 4 years to go! Given the many times these cars break down and the cost for all the repairs, I remember thinking at the time this warranty is a no brainer. Looks like the bean counters at LR also figured that out and have become more stingy. Anyway, I would suggest to anyone to shop them around. First stealership wanted to charge $5K. These are negotiable. Good luck!
    2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White
    2007 911 Turbo (Europipe Stage I Exhaust)

UAV

Regardless of what warranty you get, make sure it's exclusionary.

Rather than start a new thread, just wanted to give an update on my experience with the LR extended warranty on my 2011. It's been less than a year and it has already paid out twice over what I paid for the warranty.

Short version: soft brakes (even after multiple pressure bleeds), slight supercharger whine at highway speeds = replacing brake master cylinder (internal valve leak), supercharger pulley coupler replacement, timing belt guide pins tsb (discussed plenty on these forums).

Warranty is paying close to $6k, including the 2016 jag xf loaner I have.

Even better, I requested a front/rear diff and transfer fluid change as a maintenance item (LR scheduled for 75k interval but I'm doing it at 55k), and my SA accidentally put the fluids on the warranty repair bill which was approved. So I'm just paying labor for that.

This is all in addition to the $1500 the warranty has already covered for previous dealer visits (replaced drive shaft and other various bits).

So is the extended warranty worth it? From my perspective, absolutely. Even with a build date of Dec 2011, I had still had a lot of early build quality issues.
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

So I'm starting my search for an extended warranty for my 2013 sport. I got a quote for the Land Rover Extended warranty, 4 years from now or 75,000 miles which is basically 3 extra years. Around $2200 from one dealer and around $3600 from another dealer. Not sure how there could be such a price difference. One dealer also has an Allstate extended warranty plan which seems pretty close to the Land Rover one, but Allstate offers some more years and milage for a little more money. Anyone have experience with the Allstate. I'm leaning towards the Land Rover from what I read on here. Both are exclusionary. Couple things worry me when reading the exclusions in Land Rover one. Illumination for example isn't included, bulds, HID etc. I understand a bulb not being covered, but what if the adaptive headlight stops working? Will they try to say that's part of illumination? Also mentions external mirrors not covered. Does this mean if the mirror stops folding in or stops dipping in reverse, that it's not covered? Also not sure if Bushings and parts like that are covered? Just a few of my concerns. Would love any first hand experience comments.

Thanks
    '13 RRS HSE LUX
    '95 RR 4.0se P38

Stick with the Land Rover one, it'll be accepted without hassle at any LR dealer with $0 deductible. Also includes LR roadside assistance (which I've used once and thought it was great) and loaner car. And yes, prices vary A LOT from dealer to dealer. I live in Miami but bought the warranty from the LR dealer beside my parents home in Houston.

There will always be things not included, but the LR warranty is the most inclusive you could possibly get. Yes, bushings are covered under the LR extended warranty (but surprisingly not under the CPO warranty). I discussed this before but just to reiterate, I think it's better to buy a used LR still under factory warranty then purchasing the extended warranty INSTEAD of buying a CPO and paying markup for that warranty.
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Stick with the Land Rover one, it'll be accepted without hassle at any LR dealer with $0 deductible. Also includes LR roadside assistance (which I've used once and thought it was great) and loaner car. And yes, prices vary A LOT from dealer to dealer. I live in Miami but bought the warranty from the LR dealer beside my parents home in Houston.

There will always be things not included, but the LR warranty is the most inclusive you could possibly get. Yes, bushings are covered under the LR extended warranty (but surprisingly not under the CPO warranty). I discussed this before but just to reiterate, I think it's better to buy a used LR still under factory warranty then purchasing the extended warranty INSTEAD of buying a CPO and paying markup for that warranty.
    Thanks!! As I mentioned, I'm definitely leaning towards Land Rover warranty.
    '13 RRS HSE LUX
    '95 RR 4.0se P38

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now