Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.

Anyone have advice for reputable repair shops that have knowledge of Land Rovers in the Raleigh-Durham area. Just moved from New York and had to leave behind my house with garage for a 1 bedroom apartment... now I have to put repairs into the hands of someone else so I hope to find a honest repair shop. Any constructive advice would be highly appreciated. Also open to people that have a garage and is open to renting/working on vehicles together.

Below is picture of my truck (and garage I sadly left behind)

Attachment 16461Attachment 16462Attachment 16463
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.-img_4523.jpg   Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.-img_4534.jpg   Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.-img_4526.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair shop.

I cross posted this in GC so check there as well.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Nice looking car. After my warranty expired I started getting all my work done at Discovery Automotive. It's located in Cary but the owner knows his Land Rovers and has been working on them for a long time. It's probably about 10 minutes from Downtown Raleigh. He's always been able to troubleshoot any issue I've had and his pricing is a lot better than the dealer. Even the Land Rover Dealership in Cary is good, they're really nice and have always helped me out but you pay the dealer price.

If you ever need any bodywork done, go to Kenny Hawkins. I've had my front bumper and rear quarter panel repaired there, and they do an excellent job. It's right down the street from Discovery Automotive as well.
    2012 Range Rover HSE Lux - Sumatra Black/Tan
    2006 RRS HSE - Bonatti Grey/Ebony
    2005 Mercedes SLK55 - Mars Red/Ash

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you for the cross post goosey. I live in Southern Cary off of ten-ten, so that is a great option for me Johnny06! I hope to never need body work but I will make a note of that place just in case. How many other employees does the owner of Discovery Auto have when you have been to the shop? Younger age mechanics?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yeah lets hope you never have to go to the Body Shop but it is a good one if you ever need it. I'm not sure how many employees exactly, I think there are 4 bays at the shop and I've always seen at least 4-5 back there working. It was a mix of ages, some younger guys then some older. I've only been 3 times, twice for routine maintenance then another for a coolant leak, which was diagnosed quick and fixed (small broken plastic piece, $50 fix). With this fix it was an older guy looking over it then the owner as well. The owners knowledge of Land Rovers is really incredible, his name is David and he definitely oversees everything that comes in.

FRESHMAN ROVER

ok that sounds good, I have experienced some shops where the owner is never present and some of the inexperienced employees use the "trial and error" repair method all too much and in the end just costs me money. I will drive by this weekend and check out the garage... Thanks again for all the advice.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Repair shop, schmepair shop. Forget that nonsense.

All you need to know is Clyde Coopers' Barbeque. Downtown Raleigh.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I wanted to repost this question regarding a good, honest, repair shop for a RRSSC in Raleigh area. I have visited a few shops locally but always leave with an uneasy feeling. I am not experiencing an issue at the moment but as a new owner, I want to establish a long term mechanic and begin with maintenance and general service. Any first hand advice is appreciated.
    Korey
    Zebulon NC
    2008 Range Rover Sport SC

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Relocated to Raleigh, NC- Looking for a reputable repair

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    I wanted to repost this question regarding a good, honest, repair shop for a RRSSC in Raleigh area. I have visited a few shops locally but always leave with an uneasy feeling. I am not experiencing an issue at the moment but as a new owner, I want to establish a long term mechanic and begin with maintenance and general service. Any first hand advice is appreciated.
    As i reviewed my account history and saw this post I thought I would make sure you are satisfied with a shop or I do have 2 recommendations for you. I also do most all of the work myself if you ever need local assistance turning wrenches.
    Notable Transportation Vehicles:
    Current 1: '05 Land Rover Discovery 3
    Current 2: '06 Range Rover HSE
    Previous 1: '07 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Previous 2: E46 M3 SMG Comp

FRESHMAN ROVER

Did you end up going to Discovery? What did you think? What are the two shops you recommend?

Just realized this thread is back from 2012. My 2006 RRS is still going strong at around 113k miles. I've also since then acquired a 2012 FFRR. I love the polish of the FFRR but I still get just as happy and feel more connected with the road when I drive the RRS even though it's 10 years old.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

What the hell is a FFRR? Got a picture?
    Cheers, Jim

2017 Lincoln Continental Select 2.7 AWD; 2013 RRSport HSE, 40000 miles (traded); 2001 Jaguar XJ8L X308 BRG 89000 miles (traded on RRS); 08 RRSport SC (sold); 08 LR 3 (traded); 05 LR 3 4.2 (traded); 04 BMW Z4 sold; 01 XJ8 anthracite (for LR 3); 98 Z3 (traded on Z4); 01 S-type 4.0 V8 (traded on XJ8; 99 323 IC (traded on S-type); 94 Deville traded; 88 325IS sold

L322, full fat range rover

'06 RRS LUX
    '06 pilot EXL
    '91 4runner
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny06Rover View Post
    Did you end up going to Discovery? What did you think? What are the two shops you recommend?

Just realized this thread is back from 2012. My 2006 RRS is still going strong at around 113k miles. I've also since then acquired a 2012 FFRR. I love the polish of the FFRR but I still get just as happy and feel more connected with the road when I drive the RRS even though it's 10 years old.
    Hi Johnny- How do you like the '12 FFRR? Do you turn wrenches on it yourself often? Sold the RRS about a year after moving down to Raleigh to start another company.... I did do the ~75k factory service at Discovery in Cary and they seemed knowledgable and professional from the most I could tell from a routine service. Even gave me a Discovery 2 for the day! Can't beat that kind of service...

About 18 months ago I purchased a '05 LR3 from a local LR enthusiast and the truck has been phenomenal. It has been a good truck overall; repaired keyless entry sill connections, relocated and seal RF fob receiver in roof, sway bar bushings and new starter. I've been fortunate not to need a shop as I can diagnose 95% of issues in my garage. Looking to pick up a factory grade code/diagnostic reader if your interested, would be great to get a few local people together to share device...

4 weeks ago I flew to Atlanta to pickup the only 06/07 FFRR on the east coast that could prove to me all service records. Now the wife gets a pristine '06 HSE to as a daily driver. It has been fun restoring her back to showroom condition, internally and externally.

Other shops in the area I've herd good things about:
    - Euro Motors on Capital (they are pushing the used car inventory more than just a dedicated repair shop it seems)
    - Sevan Motorworx (referral, have not been here yet)

Both our trucks are Bonatti Grey, the wife likes that we have matching cars but I can't personally agree to that...
    Notable Transportation Vehicles:
    Current 1: '05 Land Rover Discovery 3
    Current 2: '06 Range Rover HSE
    Previous 1: '07 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Previous 2: E46 M3 SMG Comp

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now