Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states?

Hi all, newbie here.

I have a TDV6 RRS (A black 2009 HSE with 41k miles) and I love it to death. I am moving back to the states and desperately want to bring it with me. I've even spoken to an importer who guarantees all their work in writing for the quote of.....*sigh* $12,876. It's quite extensive and they have an entire list of modifications that they are doing (receipts and photographic evidence), and it'll take me over 2 months to get my car done once it's home. However, this means title in hand, license plates, everything, 100% legal. The RRS is only worth $38k or so here, so that would mean that after I bring it over, I am effectively paying over $50k for a TDV6 when an equivalent 09' supercharged is only $35-$40k in similar condition.

Now I still want to keep my diesel, don't get me wrong, but I am wondering if I am alone in my thinking. Wondering if anyone here (in the U.S.) would pay $50k for a TDV6 or V8?

Thanks!
    DieselRRS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM MODERATOR

Re: Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states?

Not a used one, but certainly a new one would be interesting ,more so the TDV8...at 30 mpg it would be very enticing, plus all that torque too!
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

I'd be concerned about availability of parts and qualified service, as "factory trained" techs here seem dumbfounded enough with our petrol powerplants, let alone a diesel they have never seen before... Fortunately these engines seem pretty bulletproof.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob View Post
    I'd be concerned about availability of parts and qualified service, as "factory trained" techs here seem dumbfounded enough with our petrol powerplants, let alone a diesel they have never seen before... Fortunately these engines seem pretty bulletproof.
    I'll echo the above.

But apparently the transmissions are not as bulletproof though.

The other issue is, unless you plan to drive it to the junkyard, resale value.

I'm not sure what mods need to be made on the engine to bring it to compliance (urea tank, filters etc...) but these grey market guys work on all makes of vehicles and I always find it a bit hard to comprehend that they know all the ins and outs of the mods they have to make. Structural or body mods are one thing...the engine and smog stuff is a bit harder to understand.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Premium Member

New Yes. $10k seems about fair and inline with other makes diesel upgrade.

Used/Old No

Not sure DEF would be required on a used vehicle though. Especially since DEF has been used in Europe for longer. If it is not on your current vehicle not sure why the US would require it.
    2017 Range Rover Sport- HSE Td6
    2017 Infiniti QX80
    1987 Land Rover 110 Convertible

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
    1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
    2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
    2011 Range Rover Sport- Sold

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/members/8471-flyersfan76-albums-mine-picture12965-img-0174sm.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

On my Range Rover all it needs to do is going through an emissions both (since it's not OBD II compatible) and then pass the basic emissions test setup for it. Fortunately, there are no emissions requirements in my state so I have no need to bring the engine into any kind of compliance. If I did though go to California for some odd reason, they could retrofit some more diesel cats and a DEF system for a several thousand and it would become legal. I called my local "authorities" at home and they confirmed what the importer told me.

For the modifications, it's all structural and a little electrical. Km speedo to Mph, installing US bumpers (I heard the Euro versions are actually different?, installing the DOT approved lenses (kind of stupid, but apparently the Euro versions of the lights don't have a DOT stamp on it, so they are not legal (major cost of the conversion is the headlights, tailights and bumpers = $6,800), etc.

Anyway, I have had the truck since it had 8,000 miles on it, so I call it pretty much new. I also wrench on my own things so I am not worried about fixing stuff. I just love diesels and I love that I can 30 mpg on the freeway day in and day out with my Range Rover. If I didn't plan to keep it, of course I'd decide against it, but I am hooked on it and want to drive it for a long long time.

Maybe to recoup a bit of the cost you could try to sell all your lights where you are, before shipping the car? Same for bumpers and speedo?

Car would even be lighter for shipping
    '08 RRS TDV8
    I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seal oil

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieselRRS View Post
    On my Range Rover all it needs to do is going through an emissions both (since it's not OBD II compatible) and then pass the basic emissions test setup for it. Fortunately, there are no emissions requirements in my state so I have no need to bring the engine into any kind of compliance. If I did though go to California for some odd reason, they could retrofit some more diesel cats and a DEF system for a several thousand and it would become legal. I called my local "authorities" at home and they confirmed what the importer told me.

For the modifications, it's all structural and a little electrical. Km speedo to Mph, installing US bumpers (I heard the Euro versions are actually different?, installing the DOT approved lenses (kind of stupid, but apparently the Euro versions of the lights don't have a DOT stamp on it, so they are not legal (major cost of the conversion is the headlights, tailights and bumpers = $6,800), etc.

Anyway, I have had the truck since it had 8,000 miles on it, so I call it pretty much new. I also wrench on my own things so I am not worried about fixing stuff. I just love diesels and I love that I can 30 mpg on the freeway day in and day out with my Range Rover. If I didn't plan to keep it, of course I'd decide against it, but I am hooked on it and want to drive it for a long long time.
    When was DEF added to the Land Rover engines in Europe if yours doesn't already have it?
    2017 Infiniti QX80

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/members/8471-flyersfan76-albums-mine-picture12965-img-0174sm.jpg

As far as I'm aware LR engines in Europe do not have DEF
    '08 RRS TDV8
    I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seal oil

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'd pay an extra $10,000-$15,000 to NOT have a diesel in my Range Rover.

Those noisy and stinky engines are built for red neck pick-up trucks and VW's.
    2013 RANGE ROVER SPORT SUPERCHARGED -- Silver Package - Black / Ivory / Black
    2006 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA - Guards Red / Black

There's been an evolution in Diesel engines since 1955, you know?
    You should drive a TDV8 or a SDV6 before judging.
    '08 RRS TDV8

Quote Originally Posted by flydive View Post
    There's been an evolution in Diesel engines since 1955, you know?
    You should drive a TDV8 or a SDV6 before judging.
    Agreed. I wouldn't pay a $10K premium but I'd buy one if the premium was ~2-3K.

Unfortunately in the US we have not had the same evolution in diesel dispensing technology. You usually have to drive around for 1/2 hr to find a station with diesel, wait in line while some guy in a Freightliner puts 150 gallons in his truck, then stand in a puddle of diesel fuel holding a fuel soaked handle with a oily rag tied around it.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by At Law View Post
    I'd pay an extra $10,000-$15,000 to NOT have a diesel in my Range Rover.

Those noisy and stinky engines are built for red neck pick-up trucks and VW's.
    Maybe in the 80's they were loud. My parents have a E-Class MB with a diesel. That is why they bought it. Aside from being a MB it is nice.
    2017 Infiniti QX80

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey View Post
    Agreed. I wouldn't pay a $10K premium but I'd buy one if the premium was ~2-3K.

Unfortunately in the US we have not had the same evolution in diesel dispensing technology. You usually have to drive around for 1/2 hr to find a station with diesel, wait in line while some guy in a Freightliner puts 150 gallons in his truck, then stand in a puddle of diesel fuel holding a fuel soaked handle with a oily rag tied around it.
    On the east coast we have a C-Store chain that is putting diesel in all of their 300 stores. No trucks allowed.
    2017 Infiniti QX80

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by flyersfan76 View Post
    Maybe in the 80's they were loud. My parents have a E-Class MB with a diesel. That is why they bought it. Aside from being a MB it is nice.
    I agree, they have made marked improvements since days gone by with diesel. However, they still stink and have more lifter noise than a gasoline engine.

By the way, very nice looking Chris Craft in your picture. I have always liked that body style. Excellent quality boats.
    2013 RANGE ROVER SPORT SUPERCHARGED -- Silver Package - Black / Ivory / Black
    2006 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA - Guards Red / Black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now