Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states?

FORUM MODERATOR

Re: Would you pay an extra $10-15k for a diesel RRS in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by At Law View Post
    I agree, they have made marked improvements since days gone by with diesel. However, they still stink and have more lifter noise than a gasoline engine.

By the way, very nice looking Chris Craft in your picture. I have always liked that body style. Excellent quality boats.
    I'd trade that slight increase in noise (can be drowned out by louder music) for 30 mpg and increased torque. Modern diesels are loads of fun to drive and have plenty of pick up...just hop over to Europe for a bit and drive an Audi, Volvo, Mercedes or other and you'll be favorably impressed with the performance. I'd much prefer a diesel to a hybrid quite honestly.
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01 View Post
    I'd trade that slight increase in noise (can be drowned out by louder music) for 30 mpg and increased torque. Modern diesels are loads of fun to drive and have plenty of pick up...just hop over to Europe for a bit and drive an Audi, Volvo, Mercedes or other and you'll be favorably impressed with the performance. I'd much prefer a diesel to a hybrid quite honestly.
    I must admit I did drive an X5 (not that I would ever buy one) about a year ago that was a diesel and I was impressed with its power and torque.

The increased MPG would be nice. My supercharged is averaging between 11-13 mpg pretty consistently during its first 1,500 miles. I suspect that will increase to 11.3 - 13.3 mpg as the engine breaks in.
    2013 RANGE ROVER SPORT SUPERCHARGED -- Silver Package - Black / Ivory / Black
    2006 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA - Guards Red / Black

Quote Originally Posted by At Law View Post
    I'd pay an extra $10,000-$15,000 to NOT have a diesel in my Range Rover.

Those noisy and stinky engines are built for red neck pick-up trucks and VW's.
    You left out Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, & Audi. All 4 offer a diesel powered SUV in the US right now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

dj no clues for the anti-diesel guys here.

i wouldn't pay more for it though. i'd prefer a diesel apples to apples.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by dieselrrs View Post
    hi all, newbie here.

I have a tdv6 rrs (a black 2009 hse with 41k miles) and i love it to death. I am moving back to the states and desperately want to bring it with me. I've even spoken to an importer who guarantees all their work in writing for the quote of.....*sigh* $12,876. It's quite extensive and they have an entire list of modifications that they are doing (receipts and photographic evidence), and it'll take me over 2 months to get my car done once it's home. However, this means title in hand, license plates, everything, 100% legal. The rrs is only worth $38k or so here, so that would mean that after i bring it over, i am effectively paying over $50k for a tdv6 when an equivalent 09' supercharged is only $35-$40k in similar condition.

Now i still want to keep my diesel, don't get me wrong, but i am wondering if i am alone in my thinking. Wondering if anyone here (in the u.s.) would pay $50k for a tdv6 or v8?

Thanks!
    Dieselrrs
    ---- no----------

FRESHMAN ROVER

I know there's other diesels in the states, but I am a pure blooded Range Rover AND diesel fan. Started with a Disco I, then a P38, then an LR3, then a Disco II, then an L322 4.4, then the RRS. The RRS was my first diesel (since it was my first car outside of the US) and I fell in love. That's why I want to bring it, no reason other than "I like it."

As for noise and stink of the diesel, well, honestly what got me hooked on the idea of getting my own TD Range Rover was when my brother took me for a ride in his. I had no clue it was a diesel until he told me. I thought it was petrol, honest to goodness, so when I found how smooth this beast could be I had to have one. Far cry from the diesels of old as I also have a Hyundai Starex van over here with a 2.6 diesel. That van makes me appreciate the 2.7 a ton in my RRS. The van, 68 bhp, RRS 190. Torque, 160 vs. 300? Mpg, same, noise? The van sounds like a tractor, the RRS, smooth as silk.

Then the fuel mileage. While I am generally not concerned, I see no point in getting 13 mpg like I did on the L322 with not much of a benefit. I'll sacrifice some 0-60 time and a little stink for 30 mpg any day.

Although it does seem like I'll be sort of alone on this in the U.S. Probably why no one imports them, haha.

And with the Diesel LR you get the Webasto as standard, that with a little mod can be used as pre-heater.
    Maybe not important in Honolulu, but in cold winter mornings is nice to get in a already warm car
    '08 RRS TDV8
    I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seal oil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now