Xeon bulb turning purple
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Xeon bulb turning purple

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Xeon bulb turning purple

My driver side Xeon bulb is starting to turn purple and admit less light, I'm assuming the bulb is burning out. Since I do need this fixed ASAP before it burns out on me ill probally take it to the dealer, any idea on how much they would charge
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Xeon bulb turning purple

Probably between $500 and $$800. US
    2011 L322 HSE Santorini Black / Tan
    2012 BMW X5M
    2007 Ferrari F430 Coupe. Nero Daytona over Charcoal Leather..under 8,000 miles
    2008 RR Sport.. sold

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 52tele View Post
    Probably between $500 and $$800. US
    Lol what??? Are you serious.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Yes and no. My dealer seems to beat internet prices on parts without me even asking. Doesn't seem like many here have had the same experience though. I'd guess $200+.

'07 RRS
    '03 325i
    '94 GSX

Yes, your bulb is going...you should replace both at the same time or your colors will vary right/left or be prepared to do the other one soon. Its easy to do yourself and there are threads in the forum on this. Some have had + results sourcing the D2S on fleabay cheaper, but the bulb is not cheap ~$100+.

http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?keywords=xenon+bulbs

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Very pricey, what's the difference in the D2S and DRS?

Its a diff between a parabolic vs ellipsoid bulb. Good to know we have 1 efficient part in the RRS

Interesting question of the diff - had to google that - I think its to do with the reflection and how wide the beam is. Parabolic is wider and Ellipsoid is narrower. From another site "Parabolics, esp. freeform parabolics are better for halogens because they are more efficient (so more light) but with HID you don't need to worry much about that because they're so bright and the much more important thing is accuracy of the beam pattern which is much easier to do with ellipsoids."

From
    http://www.iatse611.org/education/Electrics2.htm

The ellipsoidal reflector is more efficient than either the spherical or parabolic. By mathematical definition an Ellipsoid has two focal points. When a reflector is placed at the focal point at that end, all rays of the light that strike the reflector will be diverted through the second focal point. The result is that an enormous percentage of the light from the source is directed in a manner that makes it easily usable. Ellipsoidal reflectors are used in Ellipsoidal instruments and can improve the efficiency of an instrument by 75%.

If a light source is placed in the focal point of a parabolic reflector, the rays of light will be reflected parallel to one another. This will give a great concentration of light in a tight beam, rather than an effused spread. Moving the source toward the reflector will spread the light, while moving the source away from the reflector will cause the light rays to converge. This type of reflector can be found in some floodlights, beam projectors, scoops and PAR lamps.
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco_TX_RRS View Post
    Its a diff between a parabolic vs ellipsoid bulb. Good to know we have 1 efficient part in the RRS

Interesting question of the diff - had to google that - I think its to do with the reflection and how wide the beam is. Parabolic is wider and Ellipsoid is narrower. From another site "Parabolics, esp. freeform parabolics are better for halogens because they are more efficient (so more light) but with HID you don't need to worry much about that because they're so bright and the much more important thing is accuracy of the beam pattern which is much easier to do with ellipsoids."

From
    http://www.iatse611.org/education/Electrics2.htm

The ellipsoidal reflector is more efficient than either the spherical or parabolic. By mathematical definition an Ellipsoid has two focal points. When a reflector is placed at the focal point at that end, all rays of the light that strike the reflector will be diverted through the second focal point. The result is that an enormous percentage of the light from the source is directed in a manner that makes it easily usable. Ellipsoidal reflectors are used in Ellipsoidal instruments and can improve the efficiency of an instrument by 75%.

If a light source is placed in the focal point of a parabolic reflector, the rays of light will be reflected parallel to one another. This will give a great concentration of light in a tight beam, rather than an effused spread. Moving the source toward the reflector will spread the light, while moving the source away from the reflector will cause the light rays to converge. This type of reflector can be found in some floodlights, beam projectors, scoops and PAR lamps.
    Interesting stuff, anyone know what the RRS comes stock with?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Also how would I go about changing the bulb, I opend the hood and had a tough time tryin to get behind the headlight since there isn't any room

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRSPORT1 View Post
    Very pricey, what's the difference in the D2S and DRS?
    Anyone tell me which one comes stock? My xenon bulb finally went out last night

Quote Originally Posted by RRSPORT1 View Post
    Anyone tell me which one comes stock? My xenon bulb finally went out last night
    See your owners manual.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now