Navigation while driving - Hacked!
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Navigation while driving - Hacked!

Navigation while driving - Hacked!

MY2007+Update: Please note that the hack below will only work on MY2006 RRS (as well as MY05/06 Disco/LR3 and MY05/06 FFRR) with original navigation data DVD. Later model year satnavs (2007+) were flashed with new firmware, which disabled the 1791 bypass code. MY2010 and later use a completely different (hard drive based) navigation system, and the hack won't work on those models, either.

After several days of testing in my car without any adverse effects, and after receiving positive feedback from a couple of fellow RRS owners, I am happy to announce that I accidentally discovered the seemingly "impossible, nonexistent, unthinkable, undefeatable" hack code to unlock our navigation system controls while the car is in motion.

For those of you already familiar with accessing the Nav diag PIN entry screen, the entry sequence is 1791, OK, Return. For those who don't know what a diag PIN entry screen is, keep reading.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: As always, I am not responsible if ANYTHING AT ALL goes wrong while you are trying this, whether your monitor freezes, your engine won't start or you crash into a large tree... I found the code because I got lucky (and because I spent a few hours scouring the internet for leads/ideas), not because I knew anything more than you guys know. I have no idea whether this hack may create problems down the road, I don't have a clue if it works on every Sport out there (it does on mine and another 2), on LR3s or big RRs with the same Denso nav system as our cars. Don't call/write me for help, because I will not be able to give you any, other than the directions below.

The beauty of the hack is that you can enable it while you start the car or while you are already on the road, and it really takes only a few presses of the touchscreen, maybe 15 seconds total. This beats having to pull over if you or, I sincerely hope, your front passenger wants to enter an address while you are already driving down the highway. The bad news is that the hack is temporary. About two minutes after you turn off the engine, the car's computer will shut down and will take the hack down with it. So, you will have to reenable it whenever you need it. There may be a way to make this hack permanent, but I have not found it (yet) and this is better than nothing, for now. Lexus drivers have to put up with the same hack limitation...

Let's start. First of all, you need to get to the on-road Navigation Menu as shown in picture B below. So, if you are just starting the car, you go to Navigation, acknowledge the obnoxious Land Rover legal dept. by pressing the "Agree" button, and you'll probably get to the map screen shown in picture A. If you are driving, you are most likely already there. Press the lower left Home button to get to the Navigation Menu:
    Picture A:

You should now be in the Navigation Menu (if you are moving, some square buttons will be grayed out, but it does not matter.) Press the UPPER CENTER portion of the touchscreen for about 5 seconds (there is an invisible button there), as shown below:
    Picture B:

This will eventually bring up the following "secret" Diag PIN entry screen:
    Picture C:

Using the touchscreen, enter PIN # 1791 and press OK, like this:
    Picture D:

The screen will look again like it did in Picture C. It appears the PIN entry has failed, except that it hasn't... Press the Return arrow on the upper right corner to go back to the Nav Menu:
    Picture E:

That's all there is to it. You should now have access to all navigation entry and setup menus, whether you are moving or not, free of charge and with my best Easter wishes...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER
    Good job, umbertob! I thought that legacy Denso system diag code didn't do anything on the new system. I obviously wasn't patient enough when I originally tried/tested it. I can personally confirm on RRS and LR3.

Also, for completion purposes... the Navigation On-Screen Diagnostics menu is accessed using 753 as a PIN. Same process as documented above, but less useful.

FORUM MODERATOR
    Umberto...

Sei incredibile...como lo ha fatto...e un regalo de Pascua questa informazione! I only wish I could get it to work, am wondering if perhaps my model build doesn't permit it....will keep "hacking" away.

Mille grazie,

Paul
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER
    Nice going Umbertob!!

Its funny I tried that code when I first received the car because that is what the caddilac code is, but I didn't think it actually did anything.

JUNIOR ROVER
    djsaad1, at least I wasn't the only one. D'oh!

SOLIHULL ROVER
    That is very interesting I am going to have to try it on one of our cars later in the day.

I will try it on a Big Range Rover to confirm that it works.

I don't even have a Sport around to try it on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    I only wish I could get it to work, am wondering if perhaps my model build doesn't permit it....will keep "hacking" away.

Paul
    Paul, just an observation. The number keypad on the diag screen is reversed compared to the typical phone keypad. The "habit" of expecting the number 1 on the upper left corner has made me mis-dial that code more than once... Buona Pasqua to you as well!

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    this is similar to the tmp hack for the Lexus navi system! great find
    06 LR3 HSE | 08 Honda Odyssey

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Well I just tried it on two different full size Range Rovers and no problem at all worked just fine. I drove around for a little while with our other sales guide no problems at all.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    hey umberto, what you wanna drink? a really great and helpfull findout, thank you very much...
    ´06 RRS, Porsche 964speedster, ´95 HD Fatboy, more you don´t need..

rrs
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    umbertob, you are officially the ****ing king of this forum, i am baffled. i mean, think if only nav-tv knew this, i would be into them for $5k by now easily.

you are the man.

FORUM MODERATOR
    Eureka! After a wonderful day of golf with buddies, decided to try it one more time...and IT WORKED!!!

What a trick, can't wait to show my wife the next time we go for a trip.

Simply outstanding...what more can one say...

Now if I could only find the button combination that turns it from a regular HSE to a SC...that would really be over the top.

Grazie Umberto. :P :P :P
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

JUNIOR ROVER
    Very cool Umberto!!! Cant wait to try when I get back. Im still here in the Phillippines in a hot and humid weather. I saw your sig too!!! Nice rims bud. Definitely we need to do some Sol Cal meet next week when I get back.

Pokerplayer,
    Mike

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you Umbertob!

Umbertob-

You're the best! Works perfectly! Thank you!

Anyone know of a hack so that the phone system will let you read text messages that arrive ? Even with my Nokia plugged into the "integrated" system, the inbox and outbox are grayed out if you go above 2mph. It is quite annoying!!!
    2006 RR SC Tonga Green

JUNIOR ROVER
    supercharged06, you are in the wrong forum. RRS (and LR3) don't support SMS at all.

Sorry, that diag code is for the Navigation system only. Other functions will still be disabled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now