Would you wait for the first oil change at 15K with a 2012 RR Sport???
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you wait for the first oil change at 15K with a 2012 RR Sport???

Would you wait for the first oil change at 15K with a 2012 RR Sport???

Just leased a new 2012 RR Sport HSE. Great road ride so far, not sure if I will take this one to the dirt like my other rovers... I have triplets. The first service is scheduled for 15K miles. Since this is a lease and I don't plan to buy the vehicle, I will likely wait since it will be free. However, this seems excessive to me. Does anyone here have any knowledge yet on this and whether or not that is a good idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Would you wait for the first oil change at 15K with a 2012 RR Sport???

I completely agree, but since you won't own the car don't sweat it. I own a MY12 RRS and I plan to change it myself between 5-6K and then take it in for the free service when later due. I'm sure the synthetic oil will make it the entire 15K, but it's the filter I'm concerned about. I thought about just changing the filter but the oil is not that expensive (about $40 for 8 quarts) so I figured I do both.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Pdefranco View Post
    I completely agree, but since you won't own the car don't sweat it. I own a MY12 RRS and I plan to change it myself between 5-6K and then take it in for the free service when later due. I'm sure the synthetic oil will make it the entire 15K, but it's the filter I'm concerned about. I thought about just changing the filter but the oil is not that expensive (about $40 for 8 quarts) so I figured I do both.
    FYI...not sure where you're getting your oil for $5 a quart, but LR recommends Castro SLX @$11 a quart (approx price) for their 5.0 engines.
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/exten...tentId=7061142

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I'm a proud new owner of a 2012-RRS/sc and I think I'll change it every 5k. Also easy to keep track of it on the odometer.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I would trust JLR on this point . I drive my 2010 HSE during the Summer months around here where the temperature would reach 130+ using none other than the Castrol oil with no problems at all.

Besides many other -European- car makers have similar service intervals all over the world .

FRESHMAN ROVER

People recommend higher-end sports cars to change at 2,000, and other vehicles at roughly 5-6k.

When you have a new motor there is a lot of stuff in there that is part of the break-in process. I'm personally changing it in the next week or so (I have 7k even, a little later than I wanted). I personally think it's imperative if you own the vehicle. If you don't, then go ahead and trust the mfg.

There are a lot of threads on Oil changes, so I dug this old one up to prevent getting yelled at..

But anyway, I have almost 5K miles on the clock now, and it's 7 months old...so I'm gonna take Him in for an Oil change next week. $195 at the Dealer. 15K is way too long, especially when I own the thing..
    ‘18 Range Rover - Corris Grey/Black
    ’ 19 Jaguar F-Type Coupe - Fuji White / Red
    '16 Jaguar F-Type Roadster - Fuji White/Black
    ‘16 Range Rover Sport HST - Fuji Whie/Black (sold)
    2014.5 Range Rover Sport HSE - Fuji White / Almond & Espresso (sold)
    2013 GT Limited Edition - Fuji White/Black (sold)

Carpe Diem !

FRESHMAN ROVER

if it is a brand new vehicle .... i heard a long time ago that the first 500 to 1500 miles on a new engine produce alot of micro-metal, and the oil on a new vehicle should be changed after the first 500 - 1000 mi. on a new vehicle.

now, this was YEARS ago, and had nothing to do with land rovers, just new vehicles in general.

don't want to start a riot, but are land rover engines "broken in" from the factory, or ... might a new one produce much micro-metal ???

Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    ... might a new one produce much micro-metal ???
    I think that's what the filter is for.

I've found over the years that it's macro-metal that does the most damage.

'08 RRS HSE Stornoway Gray

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

FRESHMAN ROVER

the point of the show i saw (i think it was "motor trend", or one of those shows) was that the engine was much, much better in the long run if one could avoid the "micro scars" that start when the veh. is new.

Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    the point of the show i saw (i think it was "motor trend", or one of those shows) was that the engine was much, much better in the long run if one could avoid the "micro scars" that start when the veh. is new.
    I'm not sure what their term "micro scars" are. Take a cylinder. A freshly honed cylinder bore looks like someone rubbed it with sandpaper with a crosshatch pattern etched in. These "scars" actually retain oil and allow the rings to be lubricated properly. If the cylinder bore was supersmooth, the oil would slide to the bottom of the bore and there would be no oil between the ring and bore to lubricate resulting in accelerated wear on on the rings.

So actually "micro scars" are good.

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseyloosey View Post
    I'm not sure what their term "micro scars" are. Take a cylinder. A freshly honed cylinder bore looks like someone rubbed it with sandpaper with a crosshatch pattern etched in. These "scars" actually retain oil and allow the rings to be lubricated properly. If the cylinder bore was supersmooth, the oil would slide to the bottom of the bore and there would be no oil between the ring and bore to lubricate resulting in accelerated wear on on the rings.

So actually "micro scars" are good.
    You're right Goosey, I used to work at Nissan's Engine Plant, the Bore's final size is done with a Hone which leaves a spiral pattern, sometimes a crosshatch spiral, in the Bore. The Oil also lubricates the Crank Bearings, Valves etc etc.

But moving on, I look at it this way, JLR (They are Jaguar Engines in later models) offer a 4/48 warranty and obviously they don't want the expense of replacing Engines, they could easily specify 5K Oil changes but they don't. They pay for one Oil change, they could demand Owners do this at 3 months, but it's 12.

So obviously JLR think their intervals are just fine. Which means essentially, they are right.

To me, it's all about peace of mind, that's all. I took my Wife's BMW in for a 5K change, her Car has Turbo's and generates a lot of heat, but BMW's yearly schedule would be fine too IMO.

Having said that, my Wife's last Car suffered a catastrophic engine failure, the first thing the warranty people did was take an Oil sample and asked the Dealer to print out the service history ( Her Oil was changed at the Dealer every 5-6K or 6 mths). They authorized the engine replacement immediately.
    ‘18 Range Rover - Corris Grey/Black
    ’ 19 Jaguar F-Type Coupe - Fuji White / Red
    '16 Jaguar F-Type Roadster - Fuji White/Black
    ‘16 Range Rover Sport HST - Fuji Whie/Black (sold)
    2014.5 Range Rover Sport HSE - Fuji White / Almond & Espresso (sold)
    2013 GT Limited Edition - Fuji White/Black (sold)

Carpe Diem !

You change it whenever you feel comfortable doing so, not trying to dissuade anyone from doing it more. Btw, if the wife has that infamous x35i turbo, I'd change the oil a lot too. I've heard the oil temp can hit 260F or better in those engines when driven hard.

But getting back to the RRS. It's a fairly low revving engine so I feel comfortable changing the oil every 9-10K with syn oil in mine.

I have not kept up with the latest engine mfg tech, but there used to be manufacturers that would initial fill only a non-syn for break-in oil to properly seat the rings.

I've sent my oil for analysis to the point of mockery At 7.5k mile oc's, the analysis still showed high Si levels for the 1st few oc's, due to the part of the manufacturing process, so it's wise to do it sooner.

The other debate could be - doing oc's more frequent does not do the engine good. It takes time for the additives in the oil to become active, which from what I understand is based on heat and the amount of driving time. So your engine may not be "fully" protected the 1st 1-2k miles after each oc based on the driving style. So doing more frequently leaves you doing more wear.

While using castrol 0w30 i found that even at 10k, there was plenty of additive left and viscoscity to protect the engine...

So I think it's sort of a catch 22 doing the initial oc's more frequent
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR Brimill1234's Avatar

2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now