OEM LED Driving Lights = $700 OUCH!! - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: OEM LED Driving Lights = $700 OUCH!!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: OEM LED Driving Lights = $700 OUCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by RRSS007 View Post
    I'd be interested in the detailed step by step as I'm sure others would be as well in the years to come.

On a side note, what kind of Z06 do you have? I have a 2007 and a 2008.

I'm also a huge DIY'er so I'm looking forward to getting these lights and putting them on!
    I have a 2011 Z06 w/ the Z07 and Carbon Fiber package.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BLKZ06 View Post
    I have a 2011 Z06 w/ the Z07 and Carbon Fiber package.
    Very nice, that's going to be a collectors version one day!

On a side note, do we have any members here that are "in" with their parts manager and might work us a deal on these lights? And if someone has the install docs, please send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address to send it to as it might be too large to post here.

-Thanks!
    2012 RANGE ROVER SPORT SUPERCHARGED

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRSS007 View Post
    Very nice, that's going to be a collectors version one day!

On a side note, do we have any members here that are "in" with their parts manager and might work us a deal on these lights? And if someone has the install docs, please send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address to send it to as it might be too large to post here.

-Thanks!
    I have a wholesale account with a local land rover dealer. I'll see what I can get them for and let you all know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Nothing I can do for a better deal on these sorry.

So I'm getting mine delivered UPS today. The price was 636 plus shipping ($642 total). I ordered these from CarPartsEstore.com on Nov 15th. These shipped in 3 days (18th), but were coming from New Jersey. Considering the holiday and such, not too bad for free UPS shipping.

2011 Range Rover Sport GT LE
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4 ECB (Yee-Haw)
    2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

Received the LED's. Opened them up and started playing with it so I understand how to defeat the intended usage. They are designed to only light up when the vehicle is running, and when in a DRIVE gear. This is how most of the GM's I've had operated, and LR seems to be duplicating that process.

However, our Audi lights up the LED's during unlock, idling in park, etc. So it must not necessarily be US DOT regulations. Even when driving with the headlights on, the Audi's LED array stays lit, although a bit powered down. They only turn off when signals are applied on the side of the signal, which looks like a malfunction.

Anyway, here is what's in the kit, and a power demo to confirm my wiring theory. LR does NOT tell you what the wires do, just where to splice them. In fact, the yellow sticker on the LED wires say "NEVER CONNECT LIGHT WITHOUT DRIVER TO 12V. 12V SUPPLY WILL DESTROY LIGHT." Sounds omninous.

They are very bright, and have a power draw rating of 8.7 watts per array (stated on the LED). The picture is with my camera flash ON.

OEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-led_kit_1.jpg OEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-led_kit_2.jpg

2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

We do LED's all the time here. We charge $700-800 for the LED's and professional installation included.

We have even done headlight LED's as well.

Awesome pictures and description, Thank You! It's pictures and descriptions such as these that will be around for years to come, and help a many a DIY'er.

So looking at it so far, does it look like it's going to be a somewhat simple installation process? I'm guessing that your going to connect them so that they are on whenever the vehicle is on, which is what I was planning to do as well. I was looking high and low last night trying to see if I could find them anywhere for less than the $700.00. The best I found was around $636.00 give or take, which is expensive, but looking at what your getting, the wiring harnesses, control box, bright, quality looking LED's, I can see where the design cost and expense come in, and of course they need to make their profit on it as well...

Quote Originally Posted by AwfAxis View Post
    Received the LED's. Opened them up and started playing with it so I understand how to defeat the intended usage. They are designed to only light up when the vehicle is running, and when in a DRIVE gear. This is how most of the GM's I've had operated, and LR seems to be duplicating that process.

However, our Audi lights up the LED's during unlock, idling in park, etc. So it must not necessarily be US DOT regulations. Even when driving with the headlights on, the Audi's LED array stays lit, although a bit powered down. They only turn off when signals are applied on the side of the signal, which looks like a malfunction.

Anyway, here is what's in the kit, and a power demo to confirm my wiring theory. LR does NOT tell you what the wires do, just where to splice them. In fact, the yellow sticker on the LED wires say "NEVER CONNECT LIGHT WITHOUT DRIVER TO 12V. 12V SUPPLY WILL DESTROY LIGHT." Sounds omninous.

They are very bright, and have a power draw rating of 8.7 watts per array (stated on the LED). The picture is with my camera flash ON.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED_Kit_1.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	6895 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED_Kit_2.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	6896
    2012 RANGE ROVER SPORT SUPERCHARGED

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by AwfAxis View Post
    So $700 for about $20 worth of parts. Wow!!! now that's a serious return on investment. I can't believe they expect you to "splice" wires for that price. I would expect a better made kit that plugged into factory connectors for that price. What exactly makes these parts better then aftermarket?

The reason they tell you NOT to connect them to 12V is LED's take between .7V and 1.2V to turn on depending on the LED. You change the brightness by limiting the current not voltage. That control box is basically a voltage regulater and probably a current limiter. What would be inetersting is to see if they connected all of them in series or parallel. If they are in series if one goes out they all go out. Series would be the cheapest so that's probably what they did Think x-mas lights where 1 bulb goes out.
    Last edited by nsxxtreme; November 29th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quick question, why don't y'all just wire up the built in LED's in the headlamps as daytime running lights? I believe that was a DIY posted on here about someone splicing one of the wires in the headlamp connectors and running them to a bosch relay connected directly to the battery. Sorry to go a little OT, but was just curious.

EDIT:
    never mind, found the thread (https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-r...is-friend.html). Looks a little more intense that I thought.
    Last edited by dantheman1; November 29th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
    2011 RRS Supercharged, Santorini Black on Tan, ATB front and side grilles
    2008 RRS HSE Lux (sold), Alaska white on Ivory/Ebony, Supercharged front and side grill's,
    20" genuine stormer wheels, Supercharged front Brembo brake retrofit, Supercharged exhaust tips retrofit, 2010+ tail lights retrofit, Nappa leather steering wheel retrofit.
    2005 LR3 HSE (sold), Java Black on Alpaca, oversized all-terrains, LR genuine expedition roof rack, grille guard, and tail lamp guards.

So after work, I started phase 1 of the install. Removing grill and lights are pretty well known. I downloaded the "Bumper Cover Removal" doc from Topix, so I could be familiar with any hidden issues.

The instructions have you remove the wheels, but this is because they want more room to pull the inner fender shield away from the fender. This is not that necessary. Unplug fog lights, sensor wires and tubing.

Removed all screws in forward part of inside wheel well, and removed one plastic rivet. Removed all other mounting screws. Don't need to remove the two screws holding TPMS antenna. Just pull the sides away from fender (with a snap), and then slide bumper off.

The inside plastic needed cutting, and so I had to whip out the dremel. What a mess. The plastic is very soft, and melting fragments went everywhere. The exterior "grill" was similar. For the front, I drilled and used a hack saw blade wrapped in a rag for straight line cutting. Used the dremel for additional trimming.

The rest went fine until I mounted the lights. Had to remove some extra inside plastic to make it all fit. You need to be careful NOT to remove too much inside, because the fascia piece clips onto a piece that gets cut. Too much off, and your fascia will not hold on correctly along the top.

3 hrs so far, but 1 hr was to run to Ace to get a dremel cutting wheel. Reinstall of bumper and wiring is tonight.

OEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_1.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_2.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_3.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_4.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_5.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_6.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_7.jpg

2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

So here's the rest of the story (as once said by Paul Harvey / Yes, I'm that old).

I mentioned previously that the little fascia is held on by 3 clips, and two tension washers. However, a couple of times while getting the LED's in place, I managed to detach the upper portion of the fascia. The clips are not that strong. I decided to add 2 screws along the underside for a bulletproof attachment. Can't be seen unless you are UNDER the bumper looking up.

Next I put in the wiring, then attached the relay to the inside of the bumper. Hung the bumper on the front end and did a test connection to verify all the functionality BEFORE attaching the bumper back in place. All good.

The most tense part of all this is making sure the bumper and fender are not scratched or damaged. I used 3M "easy release' masking tape at the mating points to prevent damage. More importantly, there is a tab which is very fragile that secures the bumper cover to the wheel well. If this breaks off, the bumper cover may flap while driving.

Finally, I put in some connectors for the final assembly. I already had done a project where the headlight LED's will light while the car is active. I just ran the new leads to this source.

Today's work took an hour for wiring and relay mounting, another 1/2 hour for bumper attachment and headlight - grill attachment.

Some day, I may run the wiring to the fuse box and shift box as designed, but for now, I'm done. My little cuts and bruises need to heal first.

I decided to keep the DRL's on for now even when the headlamps are on. It would take just one connection to enable the factory designed OFF mode when HL's are on.

OEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_8.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_9.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_a.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_b.jpgOEM LED Driving Lights = 0  OUCH!!-drl_project_c.jpg

2010 Trek 6000 Series
    2010 New balance 993

FRESHMAN ROVER

That is some nice work there. Thanks for posting all the details! It's nice to have the option by going DYI to have the DRL stay on when HL are on.

Okay Awf, seriously you are Stud! I'm totally impressed you had the patience for this. I must say however while I totally like the (stock LR) LEDs and even want them, after seeing what is needed to get them installed I've been "scared straight" (figuratively of course)

I don't even want the dealer doing that to my car! So bra-vo you Da Man!
    '14 RR HSE Supercharged
    '12 XJL Supercharged
    '13 Beetle Turbo
    '12 Mini Coupe

*Formerly '08 RRS & '10 RRS*

FRESHMAN ROVER

They look nice, but those LEDs better be made out of the crystallized tears of jesus christ to be worth that much

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now