Extreme hesitation during acceleration on 2010 S/C...
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extreme hesitation during acceleration on 2010 S/C...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Extreme hesitation during acceleration on 2010 S/C...

Does the 2010 S/C not automatically switch into the next gear on redline or it there something wrong with my vehicle? When I put it into first gear manually and accelerate, it gets up to redline real quick and then I get extreme hesitation and it just about comes to a screeching stop unless I manually switch into 2nd gear. By then the SRT8 next to me was long gone!

Also if I am cruising along at say 100km/hr (in Drive mode) and down shift using the paddleshifts, sometimes it will go into 4th gear and then I have to paddle shift down again into 3rd to get some acceleration. However other times (Perhaps in Sport mode) it will downshift drastically into 2nd gear and again just about stop like I slammed on the brakes, until I paddleshift into a higher gear!

Whether I intentionally or accidentally put the vehicle in a gear too low for the speed I'm going, the electronics should automatically bump it up a gear to prevent both engine and transmission damage. My S/C does not seem to do this!

Of all the other SUV's in the family (ML63 AMG, Cayenne S and X5 5.0) none of them will get extreme constipation when redlined in 1st gear. They all automatically switch into 2nd. And neither will they let me switch into 2nd gear at 100km/hr and get extreme constipation! They all automatically switch into 3rd.

Wonder if my S/C needs a transmission software update...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Extreme hesitation during acceleration on 2010 S/C...

No sir, Skydiver. It's funny you bring this up because if you are a car magazine junkie (such as myself) people get TICKED if a car automatically upshifts for you in manual mode. I would, too. That's the reason we have a manual mode. It is to be manual. We control it, not the computer. You know what's also interesting about this topic? With these new machines, they are programmed so well, the automatic mode usually is faster and more efficient that what we'd be able to do with paddles as far as acceleration. I find the manual mode more for having fun through corners, getting ready for a pass, or keeping low revs when the engine is cold.

Your car is in perfect, working order. You order the gear, it holds it. I actually don't like that it automatically downshifts for me when I have, for example, 6th gear and I floor it. My Infiniti held any gear I wanted for as long as I wanted. (Yes, I know that all cars don't let the engine bog though. They should kick down a gear if the engine is revving way too low.)

Skydiver, you're hitting the rev limiter. Let the car automatically shift for you. It will do a better job than you in an acceleration-heavy scenario. The paddles are fun for a track, not a stoplight.
    2010 RRS HSE Santorini Black
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali
    2013 Ford Focus ST/ST3 (Track Toy)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Okay so today I took in my car to the dealer and the master tech drove as I came along for a ride. He did a few tests. First he put the car in manual mode 1st gear and floored it! When the car hit the red line, it up-shifted into 2nd gear the way it should have! Then he put it in neutral and revved it up to 6000rpm which is as high as it would go. Finally he tried to shift it into gear while the revs were high, but it will not do so until the revs are below 2000rpm. He said what I experienced the other day was the fuel being cut off when the revs are too high for the speed. Not sure why that happened but of course it worked perfectly when the tech drove it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

any benefits in red-lining your RRS....just so it can shift by it self in manual mode Not a race-person, but having driven manual shifting cars growing up and racing friends, used to shift before that point anyway, that was granny-shifting and not double clutching too.
    2006 RRS HSE |Java Black | DFW-TX

FRESHMAN ROVER

Haha No this is probably this first time ever I red-lined my RRS and this is why I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with it. If you put it in Sport or Manual and floor it, it shouldn't red-line and cut off the fuel supply. This was just an observation and apparently a glitch. Dealer wasn't able to replicate the situation. You're right it should automatically shift before getting to that point. That's what this whole thread was about...

And Weatherman, I understand what you're saying about the vehicle holding gear, but it wasn't doing that either. It just redlined and almost came to a stop!

Anyhow I'm glad it was just a glitch and nothing wrong with my car! I think the electronics kicked in to prevent any abuse...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now