Clear Headlight Side Markers - Page 7
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Clear Headlight Side Markers

RRS007

Re: Clear Headlight Side Markers

fantastic job IMMensaMind!!!

I can't believe how good they have turned out.

Mate can you please email me on how much you would charge for a pair and how much postage would be to Australia?

also how do I order the Halo Rings like the ones you have?

email: [email protected]

Cheers
    JP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hertschap
    Hi any progress with an L322, i have 2006 RR and would be more than happy to send you my side markers from the UK - as long as they came back as a set of clear ones!!!
    I can deal with driving around with no side markers for a few days, let me know.
    Hello hertschap:

In working out the flaws I was running into producing these without issue, I missed your post - sorry about that.

Yes, I can make these for any RR (any vehicle, really); but - as you said - I need the initial originals so I can make moulds. Making the moulds adds a week to the lead time, however, so plan for that if you're interested! This goes for anyone who would like a set of clear or smoked sidemarkers for which I have no moulds (yet).

I have worked out all the issues I've run into. These issues (solutions in green) include:

1) Lens 'bow/sag' after install in headlights (this only happens with new lenses, which - since I make these to order - will be most of them. Using a touch of glue at the top tab from inside the headlight bezel prevents the lens from bowing out; this is only an issue if the lens hasn't fully cured.

Simply allowing the lens to cure over time - or accelerating the cure by 3 cycles of a hairdryer [at a bit of distance] and then submerging these in cold water immediately after - makes these lenses much stiffer. It is easy to mar the lenses - they soften - when they get heated up by a hairdryer, so those who do this have to be careful about it by holding the lens only by the top tab when they're warm.

If someone orders these lenses, and then doesn't get around to their headlight project immediately, they'll cure to OEM stiffness over time. I would advise that they be kept wrapped as I sent them - or supported in their shape - so that they hold their shape firmly as they fully cure. I learned this with one of the early experimental sets which I left on a granite countertop: they laid flat, and cured totally flat. This wasn't actually a problem for installation in the RRS headlight - it may be advantageous, in fact - because slipping them in the slots provided a spring-like 'pre-stressed' load on the reflector: it wanted to stay flat to the headlight bezel.

2) Sets with flaws. After the initial runs - without good equipment - in which all the reflectors were unusable due to excessive bubbles/incomplete mould fill, I made about 10 flawless sets in a row, so I thought I had it figured out. It was essential to pre-heat the moulds in order to ensure the full catalytic reaction and get sufficient hardening. After those 10 sets, I started preheating the moulds in an oven, rather than a microwave. It turned out that the oven was heating the moulds about 25 degrees hotter than the microwave, leading to nearly instant curing of the resin...prior to the moulds being completely filled, and prior to getting them quickly put in a pressure pot @ 70psi. This was frustrating, as I wasted a ton of material wondering why each set came out flawed.

Since I went back to microwave pre-heating, the process has not produced a bad set, so hopefully I truly have this down now.

3) One set arriving warped. This was a function of the first problem on this list, where I didn't realize that these need sufficient curing to hold their shape. Once I realized this problem, I started bubble wrapping them paired up with each other - spooned, if you will - so that they hold their shape when shipped. Even the warped set wasn't ruined, however. It was heated and manipulated back into its original shape.

It's odd, because when you pull these out of the mould, they feel rather stiff, but - like really hard taffy - they can sag/warp/twist if you do not take care to keep them supported in their original shape until they cure on their own sufficiently, or they get heat/cold treated. Either way, the problem appears to be solved.

All other models ('10+ RRS, FFRR, etc): same cost, but I need your original reflectors sent to me to make moulds, which adds a week to production/delivery time. If I sell enough of these, I'm sure I'll just become a site sponsor instead of just an enthusiast!

M
    Last edited by RRToadHall; March 4th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by IMMensaMind
    All other models ('10+ RRS, FFRR, etc): same cost, but I need your original reflectors sent to me to make moulds, which adds a week to production/delivery time
    I haven't forgotten about this; I've just been insanely busy. At some point in the next couple months, I plan to have the Hamann hood and Autobiography rear bumper installed and the molding painted, so I'll send you my lights then. I'll keep you posted.
    '13 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
    '12 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Sedan - SOLD
    '11 Range Rover Sport Supercharged RSC600
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by keiphers
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMensaMind
    All other models ('10+ RRS, FFRR, etc): same cost, but I need your original reflectors sent to me to make moulds, which adds a week to production/delivery time
    I haven't forgotten about this; I've just been insanely busy. At some point in the next couple months, I plan to have the Hamann hood and Autobiography rear bumper installed and the molding painted, so I'll send you my lights then. I'll keep you posted.

Busy is good - and a ****ed sight better than many are, so I'm sure we should count ourselves lucky.
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

RRS007

Hi IMMensaMind,

I'll grab a clear set at that price.

Please send me your paypal details so that I can pay you asap. ( before the Aussie$ drops any further )

I have also sent you an email as I am a new member and cannot PM yet

Cheers,

JP

Quote Originally Posted by RRS007
    Hi IMMensaMind,

I'll grab a clear set at that price.

Please send me your paypal details so that I can pay you asap. ( before the Aussie$ drops any further )

I have also sent you an email as I am a new member and cannot PM yet

Cheers,

JP
    Email sent. Thanks John!

Brian: your reflectors were mailed out last Friday; let me know here when you get them!

M

Ah. I guess I was just nuts. Here's the thread. Brian: I haven't heard from you - have you received them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IMMensaMind View Post
    Here are 3 shots of those smoked reflectors in sunlight:

These are Paul's, so if anyone wants another set, you'll have to tell me...
    I would like a set, I sent you a PM.

How much for a pair of smoked reflectors?
    <a href=https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/members/13043-rj23xpress-albums-range-rover-pics-picture15641-dad-son.jpg target=_blank>https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/mem...41-dad-son.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Rj23xpress View Post
    How much for a pair of smoked reflectors?
    Hello Rj:

They are $110 shipped within the US; a bit more if overseas (depends upon where). PM me if interested - I've been extremely busy lately, and I have a small backlog of requests for these (I do it in my spare time, but I need a fairly good block of time to get them done).

Thanks -

Banned

what is the lead time on these currently? if i pay you today when could i expect to receive a set?

Banned

Payment sent. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now