Clear Headlight Side Markers - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Clear Headlight Side Markers

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Clear Headlight Side Markers

Those look amazing! I'll have to compare my '11 to our '08 to see if these things would fit the MY2010+ as well.
    '13 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
    '12 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Sedan - SOLD
    '11 Range Rover Sport Supercharged RSC600
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by keiphers
    Those look amazing! I'll have to compare my '11 to our '08 to see if these things would fit the MY2010+ as well.
    Thanks!

Here's a couple more pictures of one of them after an overnight post-cure in an oven (you have to post-cure thin parts so that they truly harden; they come out of the mould a bit soft):

Not only are these optically clear, and I'm really happy with the quality of them, but they're true reflectors: they will bounce back headlights from other cars, so they're far better from a safety perspective than the ceiling tile mod.
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

Custom '03 350Z Track PPW/Nav w/19" Nismo Z34s.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Very cool!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

VERY NICE. all that idle time paid off! Okay so how do we get them in there?
    Cheers

Dave

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
    Bonatti Grey
    Ebony/Ebony
    2010 Supercharged Wheels

FRESHMAN ROVER RRSupercharged888's Avatar

Great work IMMensaMind. I can really appreciate the effort you put into this. Sending you a pm.
    RR Sport Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Goinkin
    VERY NICE. all that idle time paid off! Okay so how do we get them in there?
    888 gave me a very good suggestion, which is to include instructions on headlight/grille removal, as well as headlight lens removal using the oven technique (VERY easy to do), so if you want a pair, you'll get full instructions also!

I have gone with an amber LED bulb for the sidemarker as well: the bulb looks white until it turns on, so it really looks clean during daytime with the clear lens.
    '06 S/C Overfinch Aero II package, Formerly w/Umnitza Orion Lite UHP LED Halos - now with a totally customized headlight bezel w/Morimoto switchback LED components, ClearBra, Tasmod SS rocker panels; IMMensaMind clear headlight side markers

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I'm in for a set for my sisters 2008. I'll double check to see if my 2010 is the same. If not I can supply the original mold.
    http://i39.tinypic.com/ab2wds.gif
    2010 Range Rover Sport HSE w/ 23" Rinspeed C5/1 / 305/30/23 & 20" OEM Stormers w/ 285/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ
    2001 Porsche Boxster Aero Kit II w/ 18" OZ Racing / 225/40/18 & 285/30/18

I'm curious to know if the 10+ side headlight lenses are the same or not too...

FORUM MODERATOR

That's really nice work there...congrats on the effort to pull it off.

I'd love to get a set, but the idea of baking my headlights in the oven is a little beyond what I'm comfortable with...
    PJPR
    13 Orkney Grey RRS HSE Lux
    06 Cairns Blue RRS HSE (200K...sold to a friend)

FRESHMAN ROVER

very cool. wouldn't mind a set for my '06 supercharged.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Awesome work.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Could you make a smoked set too? If it's too much work (assuming these fit 2010+ too), I could just smoke these.
    '13 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
    '12 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Sedan - SOLD
    '11 Range Rover Sport Supercharged RSC600
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

FRESHMAN ROVER

Could you make a smoked set too? If it's too much work (assuming these fit 2010+ too), I could just smoke these.
    You can easily do that yourself with a transparent paint.
    06 Range Rover Sport Stormer Ed.
    - proud member of Cars of Norway

Quote Originally Posted by PJPR01
    That's really nice work there...congrats on the effort to pull it off.

I'd love to get a set, but the idea of baking my headlights in the oven is a little beyond what I'm comfortable with...
    I was a bit worried about baking my headlights too, but it was shockingly easy. Here's a good general purpose video tutoring the process:

[youtube:3jqa1y45]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1a9jyfRYw&feature=related[/youtube:3jqa1y45]

There are quite a few more videos of headlight baking on youtube to get you comfortable with the process. The Range Rover Sport headlight is much easier to separate.

1) Take off the HID components (two boxes)

2) Remove all bulbs (probably not necessary, but protects them from jarring)

3) Remove the metal clips surrounding the edge of the lens (spring steel; easy to pop off)

4) Remove small rubber vent tubes (3 per headlight)

5) Preheat oven to 225; put a damp cloth on a pizza tray and place headlight on cloth, ensuring enough clearance around headlight in oven. Bake for 10 minutes (all you're doing is softening up the black sealant between the lens and body, and the time can vary in doing this - but these headlights are tough and temperature resistant, so there is quite a bit of fudge room. The video above shows 8 minutes @ 220; getting partly separated, and the reheating for the rest. They actually made it look harder in that video than it is).

6) Working quickly (have the pry tools ready), remove headlight from oven (gloves), place on steady surface, and - working in small increments around the edge, pry between the lens and body. You'll slowly feel the separation. Don't try to pry too much in any one spot; be patient: it WILL separate (this is one of the easiest headlights to do this with).

7) If you've done this quickly enough, you can then pull out the amber lens, and pop in the new clear replacement, and then align the lens to the body and press it back in while it's still soft. If not, just pop it back in the oven for a couple more minutes to soften it sufficiently. Put back the metal clips to ensure that you've pushed the lens back in sufficiently to guarantee a seal, and the rest of the assembly is the reverse of before.

If you really want to brighten up the effect of the clear lens, you can put shiny aluminum HVAC tape in the recess behind the clear lens to act as a chrome backer (or just tape off the area and paint it with RustOLeum's chrome spray paint). See pictures below. You can also replace the OEM white bulb with an LED amber bulb, to retain the amber effect when lit. This is also the perfect time to modify your headlights in other ways (paint the inner panel to bodymatch; install HALO LED rings, etc).

Have yourself a beer, and join the ranks of the modder!

Here's a couple of pictures of my lens on my painted inner liner, both with and without chrome tape:

Picture of tape in the recess:

Picture with reflector on with tape backing (more bright, but very subtle):

Reflector without tape backing:

I just ordered black resin tint to do this very thing, so instead of a surface of paint/tint material, these will be tinted through and through. It'll be an interesting experiment (never tried any of this before, so what the hey). How aggressive would you like the tint to be?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now