Off-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado

FRESHMAN ROVER

Off-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado

My wife and I took our 2013 RRS on it's first off-road adventure on Thursday and had a blast.

We went east to west on Old Flowers Road, which is west of Bellvue, Colorado. The trail just opened this week (finally!) and was tougher than I expected, but no match for the Range Rover

Recently added 265/50/20 Nitto Terra Grappler 2's on FFRR wheels and was glad for the extra lift and the grip.

This is a fun, ~11 mile moderate to easy trail that passes through the main burn area of the 2012 High Park fire, great to see all the new growth happening, surrounded by the forest of burned trees.

Off-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado-2013-rrs-old-flowers-top.jpgOff-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado-2013-rrs-old-flower-scenic.jpgOff-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado-2013-rrs-old-flowers-burnt-tree.jpgOff-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado-2013-rrs-old-flowers-creek-1.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Off-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado

great photos, thanks for sharing!
    --
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

FRESHMAN ROVER

Terrific, thanks for sharing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Great shots! I love to see another 2013 RRS getting out on the trail.

Off-Road Report: Old Flowers Road, Bellvue, Colorado-img_1283-2-.jpg
    2013 RRS HSE Fuji White

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by gregeast View Post
    Recently added 265/50/20 Nitto Terra Grappler 2's on FFRR wheels and was glad for the extra lift and the grip.
    Hello friend! I think I am going to go Terra G, can't decide between the 265 or 285/50r20s, the set of 285 would be 150 more total for all 4. Any regrets not going 285? 265 has advantage being lighter and cost, 285 gives a little thicker sidewall, I don't know what to do!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Based on my research on the board, 265/50/20 is the biggest diameter that will fit in the spare tire well. I can confirm that it fits...just barely!

I am able to run the stock height settings, including Access Height without intereference, but it's close. I would think with a 285 cross section you'd have to do either Johnson Rods or increase the height with the IIDTool and possibly do some mods to the wheel wells.

I went with 8.5" wheels, so even with a 265 vs 275 (stock) width tire, I got at least a little "bulge" around the face of the rim. Obviously, 285 would provide more of that.

In the end, I decided the 265/50/20 would keep me from having to do any mods to the car, so that's the direction I went.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks, appreciate the info!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoLR2 View Post
    Based on my research on the board, 265/50/20 is the biggest diameter that will fit in the spare tire well. I can confirm that it fits...just barely!
    Any thoughts on terra grappler vs ridge grappler?

I can confirm that the 285/50R20 fits the L320 without any modifications. I have been running 285/50R20 Cooper Zeons for a couple of years now. Stock wheels, no spacers. It looks like a really tight fit with the inside control arm, but in operation there is never any rubbing or interference (when the tires were new there was a slight rub at full lock when reversing one direction, but that was it). Personally, I love the width of the tire.

As mentioned, the 285/50R20 doesn't really "fit" in the spare tire well fully inflated. You can jam it in there, especially with use of a jack, and that works just fine. It's just difficult to get in and out. Alternatively, you can do what I do and leave your spare partially deflated. My spare is about 50% deflated, and at that pressure it will go in an out of the well easily. I always have a tire compressor on board so it's not an issue. The 285/50R20 also protrudes about an inch out of the well. I have never had an issue with that, either with respect to performance or looks. If I really need that extra bit of departure angle I can drop the spare out and throw it on the roof rack.
    2013 RRS HSE Fuji White

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
    Any thoughts on terra grappler vs ridge grappler?
    No experience with the ridge grapplers, they appear to be more biased towards the off-road side than the terra G2's but that may just be looks.

(BTW, gregeast = Colorado LR2, I didn't realized I was logged in on two different PC's under two different accounts)

BSCola: Good to know the 285/50/20's fit without modification and good thought on deflating the spare, I have a compressor on board as well and will probably do the same.

I've been running the G2s and have over 35k miles on them and have plenty of life left. They are a great combination of road trip/off-road tire. The Ridge Grappler is a more aggressive tread and may have some road noise and they are a 10 ply tire which makes them a bit hard and rougher ride on-road. If you plan to spend more time off-road these are great.

Confession: I actually sold my 2006 Sport last week to my son-in-law and it is now in Colorado Springs. I only sold it cause I know he loves it as much as me and I have first options to buy it back. I will still stalk this forum and enjoy learning & seeing new ideas.
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now