Back end moving like a fish: I HATE IT
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back end moving like a fish: I HATE IT

FRESHMAN ROVER

Back end moving like a fish: I HATE IT

Hello Range family,

I have an '06 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged with about 180k on the dash. I have new tires and went to get an alignment because of the back end is moving WAY TO MUCH when I hit a simple hole. The alignment guy said he didn't think an alignment was needed but rather shocks. I have crazy squeaking going on also. I am thinking about replacing the shocks and struts front and back to address both issues. Am I on the right track? Thank you in advance for your help.

Viola

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Back end moving like a fish: I HATE IT

look at replacing the sway bar bushings and end links first (less expensive) then move to new struts or maybe an entire air bag/strut with 180k on the old ones.
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

FRESHMAN ROVER

I recently purchased a Mercedes e350 and it had the same issue, felt like my back end was all over the place going over small holes, looked at the wholes suspension and couldn’t find anything, went and got alignment done and it resolved everything. Make sure you ask for the print out and make sure everything is in the spec on it. And as for noises most likely sway bar bushings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Crazy Squeaking = Swag bar bushings or knuckle joints. I would lean towards it being the lower knuckle joint. Same issue on my 2009 right now and sounds like a squeaky mattress.
    Rear of truck wandering on even surface = worn bushings, Maybe lower control arms.
    Rear of truck wandering on bumps = worn struts.
    My 2 cents.
    2001 Range Rover HSE (Retired)
    2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (Current)

FRESHMAN ROVER

mine has been doing the same thing (06 around 160k). i know it needs an alignment - was putting it off, but may get one soon to see if it stops the skittishness over small bumps.
    2006 RRS 4.4
    2017 Focus RS
    2001 Xterra

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi, from my experience, you have to separate issues. Bouncing would be faulty struts, likely they're relatively inexpecive and noise is likely from sway bushings, yes, change both - bushings and links while you at it
    2013 RRS SC, Fuji White with Almond/Mocha int. 80K ml

I have the same issue on my truck..going over small bumps and the rear end wanders..let me know what you did to fix it. I had the shop look at the suspension but they said all looked good and they didnt recommend anything else.

thx
    2010 Range Rover Sport LUX Santorini Black
    Purchased new 1/2010
    275/40/20 TOYO Proxes II
    275/40/20 Yokohama Ice Guard IG5IV for the winters in Boston

See my previous post here. I had the exact same symptoms and replaced all 4 struts & airbags and that solved the loose back end. Then I replaced all the sway bar bushings and end links. She drove like new.
    2006 RRS LUX, Rimini Red, Alpaca leather, 275/65 R18 Terra Grappler G2s, 1.5" lift, RSE, reclining rear seats, Resonator delete (all), SAT

FRESHMAN ROVER

Will do. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MI2VA View Post
    look at replacing the sway bar bushings and end links first (less expensive) then move to new struts or maybe an entire air bag/strut with 180k on the old ones.

FRESHMAN ROVER

A quick check of rear tire wear pattern will tell you if the alignment is off.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now