Air strut difference
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air strut difference

FRESHMAN ROVER

Air strut difference

I replaced all 4 air struts but still have issues with the amber stability light coming on. Question, is it possible to install incorrect struts? They look like the oem ones, 1 air line at the top. My 2008 RRS has the reservoir and control valve on the passenger side floor board so it has stability control, are all struts the same? From reading posts my directional control solenoid valve may be bad. CB103

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Air strut difference

My real question is what would happen if I installed non ACE struts? What is different about them vs ACE equipped strut?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Did you do the recalibration?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes, had communication issues but after several attempts got it to take. Sits level and all ride heights work.

did they have wires at the top or just the air line in
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

To comment to the question if OP had a calibration or not (assuming height calibration)... I have replaced struts in both of my Rovers, 2009 and 2013, not once I had required a height calibration. The height sensors are separate units and not within struts so new strut or not, system will pump up airbags to the point of previously set value=height. So it must be something else. If OP receive correct type of Struts, perhaps something else is generating the error. I would look for any kind of label/marking on the struts and google it to see if they are correct part for the vehicle.
    By the way, Mr. 08RRSPORT, presence of reservoir and control valve may not be a 100% sign of having Stability Control option, chances are that I may not understand what are you pointing to but likely presence of Hydraulic fluid reservoir under the hood on passenger side is a sign - similar white reservoir to a power steering fluid. Plus your Sway Bars would have a 6-7 inch in diameter sort off barrels in the middle.
    2013 RRS SC, Fuji White with Almond/Mocha int. 80K ml

FRESHMAN ROVER

1. Confirmed with VIN to dealer vehicle has the ACE stability control.
    2 Needed a calibration because yes something else not correctly working. ie communication error.
    3. I spoke with two strut rebuilders and they claim only the damping is slightly different, should not be an issue.
    4. No wires just air line.

then you didn't get ACE struts it really is that simple. Do you have a loose plug under the hood or fender liner? ahhh communication error.. you don't have the proper struts. The ACE is variable dampening system that assists in ride comfort and stability. Purchase the correct proper parts for your Rover it's cheaper than dealing with all the issues you are creating.

BTW what year and trim level is this?
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 20th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    then you didn't get ACE struts it really is that simple. Do you have a loose plug under the hood or fender liner? ahhh communication error.. you don't have the proper struts. The ACE is variable dampening system that assists in ride comfort and stability. Purchase the correct proper parts for your Rover it's cheaper than dealing with all the issues you are creating.
    I did the R and R on the struts and there were no wires/plugs plugged into any of the struts, just a air line. The amber roll light was on before I changed the struts (cb103) I recall was the fault. So what "plug" are u referring to? I've owned this 08 for 5 years with no issues until recently, still raises and lowers like it should and rides smooth as new. My ILand scanner is pulling multiple communication error codes.

then someone else did a hack job before. ACE has nothing to do with EAS. If you have the ACE option you need ACE struts. error codes and warning lights are there there is an issue.

~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Honestly I think the dealer is wrong about ACE, the parts guy seemed confused about what it was as am I. My Rover is a 08 Super Charged Sport. The air struts I removed appeared to be the originals with LR markings and numbers, I will post the #. I did a 4 wheel brake and rotor replacement along with front lower control arms, not my 1st rodeo as I've been restoring muscle cars for almost 30 years, I'm well versed with BMW and Mercedes too. I replaced the struts as preventive maintenance since I now plan on using it for a tow vehicle for my toys. I'm calling a different dealer today to have the vin info read.....please hold.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Indy dealer confirmed ACE is on this Sport, tells me it has nothing to do with the air struts only the sway bar dampening. Air struts only have an air line no electrical plug, RRToadhall may be thinking of something else?? codes are UO434-86 Invalid data received from dynamic response module pending, C1B10-00 and C1B03-19 directional control valve 1-2 intermittent.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    then someone else did a hack job before. ACE has nothing to do with EAS. If you have the ACE option you need ACE struts. error codes and warning lights are there there is an issue.

OP has an 2008 RRS Supercharged. These came with ACE. On models before 2010 face lift there is two types of struts. One for vehicle equipped with ACE and one for vehicle not equipped with ACE. NEITHER has the electrical connection you refer to. Neither would cause any light to illuminate as they do not interface electronically with the vehicle.
    2001 Range Rover HSE (Retired)
    2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (Current)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now